Hey, I never noticed that before....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I believe Kirk says it sounds like random sentences strung together - which it does. I don't think Spock actually uses the word 'incoherent'.

2. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

"Follows no logical pattern" is Spock's take on it, I believe.

Methuselah Flint likes this.
  3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

There was no beaming stuff directly to sickbay or what have you. That was a TNG invention.

4. Henoch

Henoch Rear Admiral Premium Member

Very correct. When "shot-through-the-back" Spock was transported up to the Enterprise, McCoy ordered "Have medics stand by", and we find the medics (Doctor M'Benga, Nurse Chapel and a couple of orderlies with a gurney; and boy can they move fast!) coming into the transporter room at the same time (A Private Little War). Did Scott "hold" them in the transporter buffer to wait for the medic team to arrive?
    Intra-ship beaming was only done once during TOS, and it was considered "dangerous" as established in the Day of the Dove:

5. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Which brings up something i thought of the other day....do Vulcans applaud and if yes, why??*

*Other then a meta send-off for a 40 year franchise of course

6. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Vulcan's will interlace their fingers and politely tap their forefingers together.

It's the only logical thing to do.

PCz911 likes this.
  7. Henoch

Spock just stoled the entire Fabrini data banks without any permission. :vulcan:

8. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you have physical access to someone's computer, to put your hands on it and even open the case, you can defeat certain kinds of data security measures. But I don't think Spock would run afoul of computer intrusion law, because he's gathering alien data (arguably part of the Enterprise mission statement to explore new worlds), he's grabbing it for Starfleet not himself, it's part of an emergency response to steer Yonada away from a collision, and as Sheldon Cooper once said, "That which is necessary is legal." So it's fine.

Methuselah Flint and BK613 like this.
  9. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^ Plus he is using it to save the life of the husband of the Fabrini head-of-state. So there is also that.

Methuselah Flint likes this.
  10. Tenacity

More made a copy while leaving the original. Still a thief of intellectual property.

Henoch likes this.
  11. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

I've always assumed that Starfleet asked the Yonadans for access (not pictured). Pretty sure Natira would have gone along with that even if saving McCoy's life wasn't on the table, which made it a certainty she would agree.

ZapBrannigan likes this.
  12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Isn't that true no matter where you're beaming to or from? Though I have notice that when beaming down to a planet it's usually to an open air location, even if to a Starfleet location.

13. ZapBrannigan

Yes, pinpoint accuracy would be required to beam anywhere. You don't want the soles of your boots to be blended into the soil when you materialize, and you don't want to appear above the soil and fall a quarter-inch when gravity takes hold. So Spock's line about intra-ship beaming was silly. As I wrote in 2018:

The franchise has a long history of saying that something being newly introduced was a huge deal to undertake, only to have it turn out fine, and quickly become routine. The first mind meld was going to be dangerous ("Dagger of the Mind"). Telling an outworlder about ponn farr was forbidden ("Amok Time"). Kirk's wildest of longshot risks always pay off. Saucer separation at warp speed worked just fine ("Encounter at Farpoint"). Flying through the Great Barrier proved painless (Star Trek V).

Intra-ship beaming in "Day of the Dove" was just another case of starting out with breathless hype and worrying about later stories later.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  14. Henoch

I thought intra-ship beaming was dangerous due to the proximity of the transporter "beam projector" which is on/near the exterior of the ship and designed to beam away from the ship, not into the ship.

As for beaming into tight spaces, they beamed into Balok's ship.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    Phaser Two, Mytran and ZapBrannigan like this.
  15. ZapBrannigan

That's a good idea, as an in-universe rationalization: there's a problem with beaming over super-short distances. And the pinpoint accuracy Spock referred to wasn't the coordinates where you materialize, which are always pinpoint, but something about how the operator works the controls. The analogy would be how hard it is to fire a giant catapult accurately at a target three feet away.

Phaser Two, MFB and Henoch like this.
  16. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Ifif Good answer. Perhaps a good transport involved a certain amount of headroom. I know in Corbomite and Patterns they beamed into tight spaces but if we just ignore that...
    Wasn't the real reason was that the transporter was too powerful anyway? Like the replicator in VOY. To solve the Charlie problem you could just go to the transporter room and intraship beam him to the transporter pad and straight out into space or the Warp drive.

Well since you don't want to hear my rant on Disney copyright laws and all the other countries forced to comply.
    OK you're going to hear a bit. The creaters/owners had been dead for thousands of years so copyright doesn't apply.
    And would it apply on different planets. So if a Warp Drive was invented on Planet A independently, they would have to pay royalties to Earth because it was there first,
    And say if Russia 'discovered' a cure for say a somewhat fatal disease and say just for the heck of it Putin refused to let anyone other country have the cure, do you seriously expect other countries to respect intellectual property rights and not to use it and say save thousands of lives perhaps hundreds of thousands. Substitute Russia and Putin for other world leaders if you like.

17. Tenacity

This. Intership beaming involve using the equipment in a way that it isn't intended to be used.

Phaser Two, JonnyQuest037 and Henoch like this.
  18. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

The thing about this is, the heroes in this adventure are really off their game. Can we trust even Spock's expertise here?

...I think we can. But I wouldn't be sure about Kirk's attitude towards the procedure: it might be less frightening than he makes it sound like. And less theoretical, and less rare.

Timo Saloniemi

19. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

My one issue with that line in the episode Day of the Dove" -The Star Trek transporter technology itself is able to disassemble and put back together the atoms of a human being (of which there are billions) nearly instantaneously.

The technology can do all that; yet Spock is claiming, that it effectively can't beam a person to an exact point on the ground or in a ship?

Seriously? :guffaw:

My point is this: every time they're shown beaming down or beaming up they are placed exactly on the ground. If the transporter put them even a micron beneath the ground they're beaming onto, It would cause serious injury, or possibly death. For it to work as it does it would have to be incredibly accurate 100% of the time, no matter where you're beaming to, or it wouldn't be safe for anyone or anything to use.

Ergo, intra-ship beaming should be no more dangerous than beaming down to an uneven planet surface.

20. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The transporter is preposterous on the face of it. But, assuming it works, a radar dish can't see what's behind it, nor a phaser shoot sideways, so If there are some sort of outward facing emitters/receivers for the transporter then there's the potential problem. If the target area is almost perpendicular to the emitter, say as some areas inside the ship, the accuracy might be dubious.