Hey, I never noticed that before....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I always noticed the same thing, especially since she's "thicker" in her regular uniform. This is just an observation not a criticism. I wish we still had the same standards of physical fitness...I'd be in perfect 60's TV action hero shape. If she wasn't in as good a shape as she was, sucking it in wouldn't have helped much. I regularly tense my core when I'm out and about to minimize the Christmas bulge that's taking forever to scrape off.

Methuselah Flint likes this.
  2. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have noticed a lot of the TAS sound effects are taken from Irwin Allen shows and in Yesteryear the native lifeforms on Vulcan were descended from Godzilla!!! :crazy:
    JB

3. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

That Scotty was so busy with repairs to the Enterprise during Court Martial, that he didn't have time to attend Kirk's court martial. I guess he didn't have any relevant testimony on the emergency situation where the ion storm was threatening the structural integrity of the ship and the ion pod really needed to be jettisoned to save the ship, or not... :shifty:

4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, it was obviously the Captain's decision, and his only - the whole thing was slaved to his armrest button. Why should Scotty's word matter, or Sulu's, say? The point was to risk the ship in order to pursue a goal, and then to stop risking her at a moment of Kirk's choosing. And Kirk did no wrong there: he broke the ship, but Starfleet saw no fault in that. Presumably, studying of ion storms is well worth the price.

Then again, if this were Matlock, Cogley would have Scotty hovering in the bar and uncovering the suspicious fact that all those jury members were aboard the station already when Stone claimed he'd have to summon them and then wait.

Then again again, quite possibly summoning people from that bar can take days. Most of the folks there certainly seemed to be permanent residents!

Timo Saloniemi

5. ItsGreen

ItsGreen Captain Captain

In "Tomorrow is Yesterday" air date 1/26/67 it was said "This is the five thirty news summary. Cape Kennedy. The first manned Moon shot is scheduled for Wednesday". Kirk said "Manned Moon shot? That was in the late 1960s" , so a correct statement. What happened if Apollo 11 didn't launch in 1969, say in 1970, then the Trek writers (written in 1966) history fact would be in error (they probably based that on President Kennedy's proclamation to land a man on the moon before the end of the decade,) and you know what, they got it correct! Apollo 11 launched on 7/16/69 and guess what, on a WEDNESDAY!

6. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always thought "first manned moon shot" better described Apollo 8 than 11.

7. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I looked it up, Apollo 8 launched on a Saturday.

8. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it does crack me up that some folks don't realize the episode was done prior to Apollo 8, Apollo 10 and Apollo 11 and the script writers weren't just parroting info from recent news events. :crazy::rommie:

9. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Perhaps they didn't fly Apollo 8 to the Moon in the Trek universe? I mean, NASA didn't intend to in ours, either, until the Russkies got their Zond act together and gave them a scare. Perhaps there was no around-the-Moon shot before the one where they actually tested the LM. And perhaps that is when they panicked, and landed the LM so that the Soviets wouldn't get there first. So, the first-ever Moon test shot, analogous to Apollo 10 but done one flight later, was also the landing.

Timo Saloniemi

10. MAGolding

MAGolding Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The last revision of the script of "Tomorrow is Yesterday" are listed as on 22 November and 1 December 1966, while the bridge scenes in the episode were filmed on November 28 & 29, 1966.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Tomorrow_is_Yesterday_(episode)

Could NASA have planned the Apollo program two and a half years into the future and know the exact date when the first Moon landing would launch from Earth, and would they make that date public so that the Soviet space program would know the deadline to beat NASA to the Moon?

I think it would have been impossible for the writers to find the exact date of the first manned Moon mission two and a half years before it actually happened.

Furthermore, it would have been possible to find the dates of the good launch windows to the Moon, but then the writers would have had to have chosen one specific date out of dozens, since the month and year of the first Moon landing could not have been predicted accurately by the writers.

In any case, the fatal fire in the Apollo capsule during a test on January 27,1967 for the planned Apollo 1 mission on February 21, 1967 was a big setback for NASA's schedule.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_1

The first manned Moon landing would have happened months earlier, possibly even in 1968, if the Apollo one fire and the delays it caused had been prevented.

The first manned Apollo mission, Apollo 7, which remained in Earth orbit, launched on 11 October 1968, which was a Friday.

The first manned Apollo mission to the Moon was Apollo 8, which made 10 orbits around the Moon, and launched on 21 December 1968, which was a Saturday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Apollo_missions

http://luirig.altervista.org/calendar/index.php?year=1968

The next manned Apollo mission, Apollo 9, remained in Earth orbit testing rendezvous maneuvers, and launched on 3 March 1969, which was a Monday.

The next manned Apollo mission, Apollo 10, returned to lunar orbit and tested maneuvers with the LEM, and launched on 18 May 1969, which was a Friday.

The next manned Apollo mission, Apollo 11, was the first manned Moon landing, and launched on 16 July 1969, which was a Wednesday.

The next manned Apollo mission, Apollo 12, was the second manned Moon landing, and launched on 14 November 1969, which was a Friday.. In an alternate universe where something had prevented Apollo 11 from landing it mighthave been the first manned moon landing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Apollo_missions

http://luirig.altervista.org/calendar/index.php?year=1969

Note that the only candidate for "the first manned Moon shot" that launched on a Wednesday, Apollo 11, launched at 13:332 GMT, which was 9:32 AM Eastern Daylight Time.

And what did the radio announcement say?

So the first manned moon shot was scheduled for 6 AM Eastern Standard Time. Which I think would be 7 AM Eastern Daylight Time. So either Apollo 11 was scheduled to take off at 7 AM EDT and something delayed the countdown by 2 hours and 32 minutes, something which can be checked, or "Tomorrow is Yesterday" had the launched scheduled for an inaccurate time of day.

Anyway, the eastern time zone of the USA would be using Eastern Daylight Time when Apollo 11 launched on July 16, 1969. So why would the radio announcement give the time in Eastern Standard Time?

This seems to prove that the "first manned moon shot" in "Tomorrow is Yesterday" must have launched when the eastern USA was not using Eastern Daylight Time, and thus not within a few months of July 16, 1969.

Thus Star Trek happens in an alternate universe with a different Apollo program and a different date for "the first manned moon shot" than in our reality.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    BK613 likes this.
  11. J.T.B.

Yes, impossible. Too many mission requirements had to be worked out goals met to plan that far out. Luckily everything about NASA is documented to a fare-thee-well. The Apollo 8 launch was announced publicly by a press release of Nov. 12, 1968, which gave a date "no earlier than December 21."
    https://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/news/releases/1966_1968/index.html#1968

12. ItsGreen

ItsGreen Captain Captain

Great input everybody! Didn't know if this was talked about before? My interpretation was "first manned moon shot" that landed. I could be wrong, anyway I thought that it was a coincidence or not (based on how things were going in the space race back then when it was written), interesting foreshadowing/prediction perhaps, that the writers said late 60's and they stated a specific day, Wednesday, which Apollo 11 was. Of course they did have a 1 in 7 chance of getting the day correct.

Henoch likes this.
  13. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Uhura is totally badass in that episode, her best showing ever, unless you want to go with her taking command in The Lorelei Signal.

14. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have the impression that "moon shot" was the lingo of the early Sixties, when it was still an abstraction, and not a phrase getting air by 1968 when Apollo was a fully-designed program. If so, our ST writers knew the recent past better than they knew the near future.

I wonder if there's a government memo on file somewhere that says, "Let's discourage the use of moon shot in the media, because it's not a specific technical term, and it sounds like we're taking a wild chance. Now that actual astronauts are putting their lives on the line, it's time to sound more confident."

15. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kirk's monologue in Return To Tomorrow about man's need to push outwards in space and explore, first the Moon and then Mars and later on Alpha Centauri but in which he missed out the long, long gap of probably fifty or sixty years of doing absolutely nothing!!! :hugegrin:
    JB

16. J.T.B.

It just seems like odd language to use if another manned mission, or missions, had travelled to the moon and returned, though without landing. Of course it has been overshadowed by Apollo 11, but the Apollo 8 mission as huge news at the time, everyone would have known about it. You can see TV coverage of Apollo 8 on Youtube, with Walter Cronkite calling it "the historic first journey to the moon."

In print, "moon shot" seems to be ticking up in 1966, and peaking '71-'72.

2020-02-12 06_42_30-Google Ngram Viewer.png

17. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Could be. But phrases that show up between the bound covers of a book might be a lagging indicator when it comes to capturing the content and style of our spoken communications. By the time a book is in print, the national conversation has moved on a bit, and a given expression might be on its way out. We know that "moon shot" sounds old-fashioned today, and I don't remember hearing it during the Apollo program. "Tomorrow is Yesterday" might be the only place I really heard "moon shot" used un-ironically, as a contemporary expression.

Qonundrum likes this.
  18. J.T.B.

Maybe, but the sampling includes newspapers and magazines, too, which should reflect less lag time.

ZapBrannigan likes this.
  19. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd never noticed that the Apollo 1 fire was the very day after the original airdate of "Tomorrow is Yesterday."
    Actually, while there might have been some issue over Zond, the real reason why Apollo 8 went to the Moon was that there was no spaceworthy LM available for a manned orbital test.
    Apollo 1 resulted in the Block I Apollo hardware being declared a basket case and abandoned. Apollo 2 and 3 never flew, while Apollo 4, 5, and 6 were the final unmanned tests.
    Apollo 7 demonstrated that the Block II CSM was fully spaceworthy (even though a hidden flaw would surface in Apollo 13), but there was no LM ready for a manned Earth-orbital test (the original mission profile for Apollo 8). It seemed pointless to do another Earth-orbital CSM-only test, so Apollo 8 and Apollo 9 were swapped, with Apollo 8 becoming a high-risk CSM-only flight to the Moon, and Apollo 9 becoming the Earth-orbital test of the LM.

Apollo 10 was a "dress rehearsal" for the Moon Landing, but its LM was too heavy to safely take off from the Lunar surface: a landing would likely have doomed the Commander and LM Pilot.

Spocko likes this.
  20. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, I've never heard about that, why was it too heavy?