Hey, I never noticed that before....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 1, 2015.

1. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

Goo goo gajoob.

2. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or maybe it was that mountain climber in A Guide For The Married Man (1967) :shrug:
    JB

3. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Besides Jesus and Pike, Hunter's best known role was in The Searchers (1956) with John Wayne.

Delta Vega and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  4. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Speaking of Pike, I'm rewatching "The Menagerie " right now.

Just as Spock is telling Pike "I must do this" in the Starbase 11 sickbay, right before the opening credits, you can see a tear streaming down his right cheek as he blinks "no". Amazing...never noticed that before.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  5. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

Holy crap you're right. How have I never noticed that?!?! Amazing.

[​IMG]

Vger23, Spocko and JonnyQuest037 like this.
  6. johnnybear

Some of those shots of injured Pike that have been turning up lately on the net seem very realistic when seen up close! His skin is seemingly extremely withered!
    JB

7. erastus25

it'd be best if you avoid the 1080p version of the episode then. :lol:

JonnyQuest037 and johnnybear like this.
  8. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

9. johnnybear

Captain Pike used to creep me out as a child back in the seventies! It was a big shock to eventually find out he wasn't played by Jeffrey Hunter in the Menagerie and that the young Ensign from Arena and Taste of Armageddon, DePaul, was under the make-up instead! :crazy:
    JB

10. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

There was another actor, Robert Powell, who played Jesus in a television miniseries. After that role he kind of/sort of faded into oblivion. After you've played the Son of God, where else can your career go except down, down, down.
    :shrug:

11. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The tear is hard to see. Watched the Cage last night to prepare for DSC. Love the scene of Spock i n the redressed Engine Room.

12. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The next character he played was Phoebus in a TV movie version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame!

13. erastus25

Yeah, I still remember running to the TV to smash the "on/off" button when Pike's face was revealed for the first time in that episode. Scared the crap out of me as a child.

14. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

That didn’t bother me so much. Pike in Hell, though, that was definitely a behind the sofa* moment.

*a good ten years before I saw my first Dalek, mind you.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  15. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Or to Person of Interest. ;)

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  16. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I don't want to argue that it wasn't Hell but for some reason my thought was always an oven, almost like Hansel and Gretel, the witch was going to roast him. I don't know, just felt like saying that.

GNDN18 likes this.
  17. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

FWIW, the set was identified as "Hell-Fire" in the production reports, and was built on Desilu Culver Stage 16 .

JonnyQuest037 and GNDN18 like this.
  18. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

Hansel and Gretel? I like that!

Who knows what fable Pike heard as a child (but thanks to Maurice for the authorial-intent information); perhaps my take was informed by the Our Lady of Fatima comic we had to read in elementary school. It certainly put the “graphic” in “graphic novel”, if you know what I mean.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  19. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always thought it was capital-H-e-double-hockey-sticks, Hell.

But it's worth pointing out that the term "fable" that the Keeper calls the source of the illusion is (and especially was in the 1960s) semantically incorrect. A fable is a parable that uses anthropomorphized animals or other non-humans, such as "The Tortoise and the Hare" or Animal Farm. More correct would have been to refer to the source of Hell as a "myth" or "parable."

That's not the only fairly commonly-occurring terminology blunder in the dialog. The Keeper also refers to Talosian "zoological gardens" as the source of plant life intended to reclaim the surface of Talos IV. Well, zoological gardens, aka zoos, are where animals are put on exhibit. Yeah, there are generally plants in zoos too, but more correct would have been to say "terraria," "greenhouses," or simply "gardens," etc.

They're both errors of attempts to sound smarter backfiring spectacularly. While typing this out, I also just noticed that both errors involve animals and one of them involves menageries and cages, which is most "ironic" (doncha think?).

Spocko, uniderth and GNDN18 like this.