Hey, I never noticed that before....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed! The episode Miri showed both McCoy and Kirk walking around in an "unzipped" fashion

http://www.trekcore.com/tos/hd/albums/1x08hd/mirihd285.jpg

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  2. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I always thought that the black neck area was a black T-shirt underneath! I mean we see Spock in one during his examination during The Naked Time and yet at other times Kirk's ripped yellow top reveals nothing underneath!
    JB

3. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, the above pic also shows McCoy wearing lots of black underneath, and Kirk wearing nothing.

Kinda makes one want to believe in futuristic materials that split open (along seams, tears or whatnot) exactly as one wishes, either just the top layer or then all layers at once. So Kirk is wearing a black T-shirt just like anybody else, but this won't stop the skin from showing...

Timo Saloniemi

4. Mytran

That's the angle the JJ-verse took in 2009 as well, probably based on that exact same scene in TNT!

Going by the backstage photos; Shatner usually wore a vest under his uniform top, but regardless of the actors' preferences, the visible black collar is very much a part of the outer garment

ZapBrannigan likes this.
  5. Timo

Conversely, it would be fun to think that the TOS outer shirt is what is peeking from underneath the jackets of ST2 through 6, only with a slightly more substantial collar. And that similar jackets would always have been available to Kirk in TOS already, much as they were to Pike. But, you know, too hot to wear that much.

Timo Saloniemi

6. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The black neck area was the black t-shirt underneath. Kirk is far too manly to wear a black t-shirt underneath.

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Spocko likes this.
  8. Mytran

And I totally agree. As I suggested in the Production Order Rewatch thread, I can imagine the directorial intention - in classic 1950s monster movies, the scientists all work in the lab to discover the solution. To show the situation is serious, gentlemen would loosen their neckties or even (gasp) remove their suit jackets

In Star Trek, all they could do in order to make the men's clothing more casual was to unzip the collars; so that's what they did, regardless of how silly it looked.

I'm glad they never did it again

JonnyQuest037, GNDN18 and Marsden like this.
  9. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I'm glad, too, but it does give them a "falling apart" look without ripping up their clothes which would be another problem.

GNDN18 likes this.
  10. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I honestly think that the unzipped collars were an attempt to show that their clothes were "ripped" without actually ripping up the costumes.

11. Mytran

Spock's uniform however remained firmly zipped - this matches better with Kirk & McCoy being stressed and dishevelled IMO, since Spock would retain his composure

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  12. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ That's my headcanon.

13. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

GNDN18 likes this.
  14. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I've had this thought recently too. Both the Cage and TMP have jackets, there needs to be a TOS version to fill in the gap. I saw someone do something inspired be Kirk's wrap around that had potential.

Spocko likes this.
  15. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Does there, though? We see in "Spock's Brain" that the TOS crew can adjust their uniforms for warmth. Kind of defeats the purpose of jackets.

16. Timo

It's not as if cold would have been a factor when Pike's landing party donned their jackets, or when the TOS movie folks wore theirs. If anything, the movie heroes seemed to suffer from excess heat when jacketed, yet never considered removing the jackets...

Either the purpose of the garment is decorative, or then it's there mainly to keep out dust or rain or radiative heat or other such random challenges Nature may throw at landing parties. Except the movie heroes don't do landing parties all that much, and then choose to change clothes anyway.

Timo Saloniemi

Lance likes this.
  17. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Yet another reason why that ep is an unsung gem.

18. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

Things can always go wrong. I would never neglect to supply a ship with jackets on the assumption that the heating whatever in the shirts won't ever break down.

ZapBrannigan likes this.
  19. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes. The music is enduring, very playable on the La La Land release. The women's costumes are dazzlingly kitsch and now iconic.

As a tech comment, I'd add: when Kirk says "Suit temperatures to seventy two," he's referring to a skin-tight body suit worn under their uniforms. Something akin to this, except it can be used for warming as well. They would wear it only on certain landing party missions.

I don't see the visible uniform they wear all the time as something that contains temperature control machinery, which would be needed very seldom. That would be wasteful and uncomfortable.

Lance, JonnyQuest037 and Phaser Two like this.
  20. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know what I hated about the "suit temperatures" thing? He's telling them all what temperature to make it. I don't know about you, but i prefer 68. :)

Having said that, I never thought they meant it was a body suit underneath it. I guess that makes sense, since they never said "suit" when referring to the uniforms. I always thought he said "set" but I mishear a lot. I didn't check the cc but Star Trek Transcripts say it, so I'll believe it. :)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    Lance, ZapBrannigan and GNDN18 like this.