Heroes 3x20 "Cold Snap" Discuss and Grade

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Mar 23, 2009.

?

Grade the episode

1. Excellent

31.0%
  2. Above Average

56.3%
  3. Average

11.3%
  4. Below Average

1.4%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Now that's more like it--excellent.

Time is again on our side... :lol:

2. DeadmeatDiggory

DeadmeatDiggory Commander Red Shirt

ABOUT TRUCKING TIME!

I'd all but given up on Heroes and watch only out of habit now, but right off the bat I knew this episode was 1000% times better then anything in the past Year and a half. Fuller comes back and in one episode undo's 18 months of mistakes and mismanagement: Hiro has his powers back (for the most part) and Mrs Parkman's baby-daddy is Matt (I always thought taking that away from Matt was one of the dumbest decisions the producers have ever made). Now if only Fuller can give Sylar an actual reason for being on the show, and give a logical path for the Heroes to be on (as in "I have a power, you have a powr, lets form a gang!") then Heroes might finally regain its Season One glory.

Welcome back Bryan Fuller!

3. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

That was pretty cool.

4. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

Ando has Dragonball Z power, Kame-hame-HA!!!

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Excellent. :techman: And it's about damn time, too! Welcome back, Bryan Fuller!

I would bet that Micah used his ability to erase his existence from the governments computers.

Mine also.

6. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

That was definitely a step in the right direction. It was refreshing and Micah didn't come off as a whiny kid that most kids come off as. I thought for a second he would turn back but he didn't. Smart kid. And they made the best use out of his powers.

I really enjoyed not having Claire, Sylar, Nathan and for the most part Peter out of the equation. I also liked the humor in this episode and I think it is touching what they did with Hiro. I mean, how many people can really get over their mother dying again?

7. Thespeckledkiwi

Thespeckledkiwi Vice Admiral

Blech, stupid server.

8. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Even though he used the same posture as Goku's, it was more like Vegeta's Garlic Gun! ;)

9. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ando can use his powers for offense too, just like when Tony Stark discovered his flight stabilizer could zap people.

Micah was the obvious choice, since the only other character with powers somewhat like his is now co-starring on Castle and has no real ties to any of the characters anyway. Does Noah know about his powers? Maybe Nathan kept Micah off the record since he's just a kid.

So is Fuller going to kill two characters every episode? :) I wonder if his return drastically changed where Sylar being in one-dimensional government bad guy's apartment was initially going.

10. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I gave this an Excellent, which minus the Hiro/Peter Nerf Modifier means an Above Average.

Good Points

- Hiro some part of his ability back. Give only his temporal and spatial manipulation back if his time travel really needs to go.

- Moving forward with Tracy's abilities. I don't think she's dead. Bobby Drake can reform if shattered given enough water, so I expect she can too.

- Micah as Rebel. I always liked Micah, so I'm glad to see him back.

- Daphne's death was well handled, and she does kind of look like Gwen Stefani.

Bad Points

- I don't like the idea of Sylar working with Danko. They need to give us a really good reason why Sylar doesn't just attack Building 26 and take the powers of every single person there.

- Tracy, Matt and Mohinder not freeing everyone. Okay, Puppet Master can stay but they're not exactly holding up their end of the "we're the good guys" bargain.

Baby Touch and Go needs to touch Peter. If Hiro doesn't have time travel anymore then there's no reason for Peter not to have his real power back.

I'm not sure why Micah doesn't absolutely cripple Danko's operation. With his ability, shouldn't he be able to wipe out their database ?

11. dru

dru Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Much improved.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I'm gonna miss seeing a sweaty Ali Larter in a tank top. :p

Does anyone know if Fuller wrote anymore of the remaining episodes? There can't be that many left.

13. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Wrote ? I don't think so, but I suspect his fingerprints will be all over the final scripts.

With most shows on TV these days, somebody writes a script and then the entire writing staff will go through it in a read through with perhaps the director, the cast etc.

14. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

She winked, I wouldn't write her off just yet.;)

Remember, Iceman has the potential to shatter in ice form & rebuild himself. I'm sure she can too.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

""- I don't like the idea of Sylar working with Danko. They need to give us a really good reason why Sylar doesn't just attack Building 26 and take the powers of every single person there."" Maybe that's why he's working with Danko. To get in close past the security to get at all those tasty powers without a fight. This way he gets to scope out all his meals without having to worry about the government agents getting the jump on him again, and when he's ready he can take them out in one fell swoop.

16. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

theres always the 3rd clone, Barbara anyways.

All in all, the episode was ok, but no game changer. Still wondering how all this will play out. Sylar and Zenko gonna be the big bads at the end, or will we assume that Sylar will turn on Zenko, or vice versa?

That last part made me had a flashbacks from Ghostbusters 2. Haha!

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I had this unfamiliar expression on my face while watching the latests episode of heroes which was UNRELATABLE to the last 2 years of programming. My first guess about what was different was that no one had been an idiot or done some stupid dipshit stuff for stupid dipshit reasons, which was amazing and nigh impossible since we were clearly 20 minutes into the episode, which was clearly... this was Heroes fuck it, a hulk of something formerly glorious which is now a disaster completely... It was a smile. I was smiling. I was actually enjoying the moment, a series of moments, I wasn't just taking the edge off some numbness, I was riveted... IMPOSSIBLE!!! Beyond not being horridly supernaturally shit, this TV that I was watching was actually good. People were drawing sensible conclusions and there was tension and stress and DRAMA... It had been years since Heroes had been dramatic...

The wri... Bryan's back.

I knew in my heart that Bryan was back.

Bryan was back and brought Swoozie with him.

So of course I went straight to: Are they sleeping together? I'll look that up later. She had her own Muppet show in the 70s y'know.

This installment, It was the difference between sherbet and cocaine. Clearly palpable.

18. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

did you guys seriously really notice a paradigm shift, in this episode though, with the writing?

Like watching Dollhouse the other night, I noticed the shift. Whedon wrote the pilot and that episode. And with this last episode it felt like a Whedon written episode.

This, however did not feel like a Bryan Fuller-written episode, to me. I dunno what it is. Same with Shades of Gray, wait did he write Shades of Gray?. But whatever, yeah, this episode was just ok, but again not mind blowing. But that's fine, as long as this finally gets things going, I'm all for it.

A little bit of nitpicking, but there were some plot annoyances, like how come they couldn't release more people from their slumber, in the infirmary? People above have mentioned that why don't the government already know that Micah could be a possibility to being Rebel. I mean did they seriously not see him with Tracy at the bus depot? But knew that they were in the parking garage?

Do alot of Bryan Fuller's characters through out all his shows emphasize "touch" like touching something to activate something, or steal their souls before they die, or bring them back to life? I never watched Wonderfalls, but I'm curious to know if there was alot of touching on that show too.

19. Checkmate

Checkmate Commodore

Wonderfalls had a lot of touching moments. Does that count?

Back to your real question, and like Guy Gardener said beforehand, it was pretty obvious someone new was in charge simply because no one did anything painfully stupid. There were clever uses of powers, truly heroic sacrifices and rescues, and a clear development and continuation of the story. How often does any one of those things occur in an episode, let alone all three?

The lack of stupidity was evident in everything from someone finally getting the memo that Angela had a power to Micah being as smart as he should have been. Clever uses of powers included pretty much everyone who used them in the episode. And heck, we even saw Angela's power manifest in a useful way as a hero-type, rather than an administrator. Of all the characters on the show, Angela should be the hardest one to catch simply because she has a Spidey Sense that's on crack cocaine... and we finally, finally got to see that.

So yeah, I definitely noticed someone new was in charge. Or, at the very worst, it was a fluke episode.

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Fuller didn't write the previous episode (this is the only episode he's directly writing) but he was back in the writer's room giving input for the previous episode.