Help name a starship?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Kuri, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

No worries, none taken, just joking around. :)

While I would agree with that for the fighter, if Kuri went with the runabout, we know that Starfleet, for better or for worse, gives individual names to their runabouts.

Kuri likes this.
  2. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

Starfleet, for better or for worse, gives individual names to their runabouts.​

That never made sense to me. There must be thousands of runabouts and only so many rivers to use as names.

Kuri likes this.
  3. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    Here are some names I've used for some of my ships (starships and shuttlecraft) in Star Trek Online:

For starships:
    *USS Octavia Butler (based on the late author)
    *USS Malcolm X (for one of my heroes). I've also created the USS Malcolm X - II
    *USS Benjamin Sisko (for my Luna class vessel).
    *USS Space Hawk (for my Constitution class vessel commanded by my 23rd century toon)
    *USS Kochiyama (based on the activist Yuri Kochiyama, who also knew Malcolm X).
    *USS Harriet Tubman

For my shuttlecraft:
    *USS Kochiyama (where I first used the name of the aforementioned activist).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    Kuri likes this.
  4. psCargile

psCargile Captain Captain

I like to pull from Greek mythology, and choose a name that has something to do with the story. I avoid Jeopardy subjects like "Famous People from the 20th Century" because it's an obvious nod to the reader.

Kuri likes this.
  5. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

USS Shippy McShipface

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Best. Ship. Name. Ever :bolian:

Kuri likes this.
  7. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Exactly!
    I know, which is why the first words of my first post were "Do Something Different." The writers of canon Trek didn't always make the most sensible decisions. Naming every damn flying piece of equipment was one of the least sensible ones.

Kuri likes this.
  8. TheLoneRedshirt

TheLoneRedshirt Commodore Commodore

I agree that naming runabouts (or shuttle craft) is silly but, alas, it is consistent with Star Trek practice. Using a tail (hull) number and call sign makes more sense.

The Bluefin's Star Stallions (over-size, heavy-duty shuttles) do not have names. They are simply called Stallion Oh-One and Stallion Oh-Two.

Kuri likes this.
  9. Kuri

Kuri Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Update. Thanks for all the suggestions. They've been tossed into the pressure cooker at the back of my head to see how much juice comes out. This is my current thinking: I'll use a class name (which may just be Gryphon) rather than individual vessel name. However, the characters will give it a nickname.

Actually, @SPCTRE one of my characters is loosely inspired by "Private Joker" from Full Metal Jacket, and I can see him naming it something like that just to annoy the CO.:lol:

Which leads me to yet another idea :brickwall:. Each character calls it something different. When Joker got tasked with registering it he "accidentally" put in Shippy McShipface, which forces the CO to use the tag-code when communicating with other vessels/bases. Another character always uses the class name, a third just calls it "the ship" or "the mule", while yet another has some affectionate nickname.

Sailing round places like Portsmouth and Plymouth, I've see hundreds (thousands?) of boats, every single one of them (even little dinghys) with some personal name. And it often tells me more about the owner than the vessel itself - like a psych profile.

It's really interesting looking at all your different naming conventions, too. Thanks for sharing.

SPCTRE likes this.
  10. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Well, don't take it too far. Even if everybody makes up a name the CO's pick gets priority. Besides, having every character call it by a different name is an easy way to confuse the bejeesus out of your readers. Let the CO pick the name.

Which means he wouldn't be forced into anything. He would have the authority to change the nickname to whatever he liked

11. Kuri

Kuri Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

12. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've thought the Credit would be a good name for a runabout.
    Derived from a river named after cooperation between two people groups. What could be more Trek than that? (It runs through my hometown, Mississauga.)

I suppose the USS Missinihe would be nice, too, if a tongue twister.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016