HBO Max Streaming Service Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tomalak301, May 24, 2020.

1. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I'm just speculating, but could it be they thought they had the streaming licence when they really didn't, and once they noticed, they took it down immediately so not to get sued?

KennyB likes this.
  2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Could be, but I would think you'd just get all three movies in one package.

3. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Not necessarily. I just recently noticed that the German Netflix currently has the first and third Naked Gun movies, but not the second one. Admittedly, they are hardly as interconnected as the Hobbit movies, but still.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Huh, maybe not that uncommon then. Usually when I've seen a series missing entries like that, it's the last one, not one in the middle.

5. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's one way to deal with those long movies...

BillJ likes this.
  6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched the first Alien movie for the first time in ages. I watched it once before, and at the time I was much less patient with slower moving movies, and really didn't like it. This time I loved it.

7. Mr. Adventure

I didn't appreciate Alien until I got older. I loved Aliens and was a big fan but it took a while for me to see how fantastic the first movie was. I don't think it helped that for years we had to watch this movie compressed onto old 4:3 TV sets. The action in Aliens is mostly achieved by expert use of editing, quick cuts, close-ups and so on which works well in a tight format. Alien was full widescreen and really used that as part of the composition and suffers when compromised.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watched Aliens this morning. This is the second time I've watched it from start to finish, though I have watched a few minutes here and there when I caught it on TV.
    I still liked it better than the first one, it's faster paced, with even more great characters, and some really cool action sequences.
    Is the stuff about Ripley having a daughter just in the directors cut? I thought I remembered reading about the reveal being in Aliens, but I didn't see it.
    How different are the directors cuts of the Alien/s movies? I've been sticking with the theatrical cuts, since those are the versions the sequels were going off from. I might go back and check out the directors cuts another time.

9. Mr. Adventure

The daughter is in there and we see a little of the colony and Newt before the later events. Another part I remember was the automatic sentry guns because I saw them somehow or read about them maybe and conflated that I saw them and no one ever knew what I was talking about until its release.

This goes into some detail:
    https://www.movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=2558663

10. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

I didn't like the Aliens Director's Cut when I saw it. I think it heightens the suspense to not really be sure what's going on in the colony until they get there. The Director's Cut spoils that with the intermittent cuts to the colony discovering the Xenomorphs.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just remembered something I was wondering about with Aliens. Was Hadley
    s Hope set up there specifically to find the Xenomorphs, or was it just a coincidence and they didn't know they about them until Ripley was found? I don't remember the movie saying the sent them there on purpose, but it seems like one hell of a coincidence that they just happened to set up a colony on LV-426.

12. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Alien was the most frightening movie I had ever seen up to that point. The movies’ claustrophobic, dark, slow paced style, was perfect for this thriller.

Now, I saw the movie in it’s initial release and there had never been a monster like the xenomorph. We all thought the “alien” was the face hugger. Later, when the baby burst through the guy’s chest, I was traumatized. I wanted to leave the theater. It was that bad. The whole thing was bizarre and grotesque. I was thinking ‘what if that wasn’t the worst thing that would happen.’

No movie I’d seen before or since has made me feel Ike that. Great movie.

Mike Farley likes this.
  13. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

ALIEN terrified like no other movie. I was 9 when it hit theaters and I didn't make it through my initial viewing. I pretty much had what I now recognize as a panic attack and my mom had to take me from the theater. I made it just over half an hour.

Jax likes this.
  14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Even when you know it's coming the chestbuster scene is still pretty shocking. Even though I knew it was coming, and I'm not bothered by gore, the scene still shocked me. The whole way to scene is done, it just hits you hard.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I recall going to see it with a group a friends. One friend was so traumatized she had to be half carried out of the theatre. She was 17 or 18 years old and I think it was her first R rated film.

16. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

But they're two different types of movies at their core.

ALIEN is at its core a horror film.

ALIENS is a straight up action-based monster movie.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think they have got to be two the most drastically different sequels I've ever seen. I haven't seen it yet, but based off of the trailer it looks like Alien 3 will continue that trend, with another very different tone to the first two.

18. Mr. Adventure

The Alien movies have an interesting pedigree, you have Ridley Scott and James Cameron of course doing the first couple movies. 3 was done by David Fincher known for music videos at the time and who later did Se7en. Jean-Pierre Jeunet did the visually interesting Delicatessen and City of Lost Children with a definite European flair which you can see peeking through in Alien Resurrection. If you watch the trailer for City after seeing Resurrection you can see the similarity.

19. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Joss Whedon wrote the script for Alien Resurrection and parts of it seem very much a dry run for Firefly.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I've heard that before.
    I watched the firs three episodes of Raised by Wolves today, which were awesome. Ridley Scott is a EP, he directed the first two episodes, and his son Luke directed the third.
    I had to kind of laugh when the android characters had white blood, I guess that must be a Ridley Scott thing. I can't remember, did the Replicants in Blade Runner have red blood?