HBO Max Streaming Service Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tomalak301, May 24, 2020.

1. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

That wouldn't matter one way or the other; Doom Patrol used the same actors from Titans, but is still not a spinoff of that show.

2. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's DC, so they will have at least 2 versions going on at the same.time

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

True, but the different actors and the lack of any mention of Doom Patrol in the announcement, does make it look unlikely.

Commander Troi likes this.
  4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The Deadboys originated in an issue of Sandman as part of an arc in that series. Since they seem to be adapting the entire run in the Sandman TV show, we might be seeing a version of the characters there, too.

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There have been concerns that My Adventures with Superman was a casualty of HBO Max's cutbacks, but apparently it's now slated for Adult Swim, with rebroadcast on HBO Max:

https://www.superherohype.com/tv/530504-my-adventures-with-superman-moves-to-adult-swim

I'm surprised at the Adult Swim release, because I got the sense that it was a younger-skewing series. This interview says it's aimed at all ages.

The idea of the same actor playing both Superman and Brad Boimler is kind of mindbending, though of course I just have to remind myself how acting works.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

And he's fighting Homelander, who's basically an evil Superman, over on The Boys.

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Will Tawny Newsome be playing Lois? ;)

9. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Who else remembers when Zachary Levi was rumoured to be Superman?

10. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would rather have him then Nicholas Cage.:angel:;)

11. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Harry Potter TV series close to being a done deal for HBO Max. Supposed to be a complete re-imagining of the books. One per season.

Story

12. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I've got one request for this project: get Jack Thorne involved. He's already had a good working relationship with JKR in the past and has proven that he knows how to successfully adapt YA Fantasy with His Dark Materials.

13. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I take it that by "complete re-imagining," you mean "just the same books, characters, and plot points all over again, but probably with several more non-white actors in speaking roles, alongside a Black British Hermione?" Because absolutely nothing in the article you linked, or the article it linked to, suggested any kind of "re-imagining" of the franchise. It didn't even mention adding diversity.

14. marillion

marillion Vice Admiral Admiral

Ok maybe that was a bit strong an adjective. But what I'm thinking is that we'll get a lot of things from the books that never made it into the movies.

15. Dee1891

Dee1891 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Frankly, neither would do for me.

16. Gaith

I think this sums things up nicely:

Yeah, the movies left a lot out, but they covered most of the important beats. They also had the excitement factor of coming out while the books were still being released. So this prospective series would be comparatively slower paced, almost certainly feature lesser quality adult actors, the child performers would be even more rushed for having to get through more filming while only being legally allowed to work so much, and there wouldn't be nearly as much inherent excitement this time around.

Other than that, sounds great! :rommie:

FreezeC77 likes this.
  17. Christopher

Given how much of the later books had to be left out in the movies, that's inevitable.

The problem, as Adam-Troy Castro pointed out on Facebook, is that doing one season per book runs the risk of the early seasons being hugely padded, since the first couple of books were meant for younger readers than the later ones and thus are quite short and simple. Even with streaming series having variable season lengths, it would probably make more sense to combine at least the first two books in the first season.

18. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yea. The child actor part would certainly be impacted. Even if you had a short season like say 8 episodes that's still going to be like double or triple the actual amount of filmed content needed compared to the first movie.

Not to mention the need to deal with them aging/growing and then having to film every single year, while accounting for needing post-production and effects. It would seem to be a pretty tough thing to pull off.

19. Christopher

It would seem simpler to do it in animation, then.

FreezeC77 likes this.
  20. Gaith

Well, even granting that some animation takes more time than others, that's almost always true, except maybe for a few filmed sitcoms. (It would be a lot easier to remake Lawrence of Arabia a la South Park than to do a new live action miniseries about him, wouldn't it.) As for season length, I'd say that that's the least of their worries, because what even is a streaming season? Three episodes, four episodes, spaced however long apart, it's whatever the streaming service says it is, really limited only by how much flexibility they're asking of their subscribers. And not making each year one season, regardless of the episode counts, would be needlessly confusing.

To be fair, filmmaking has made great strides since the early 2000s. A TV production today could use a volume to shoot almost everything in one soundstage, and digital doubles could drastically reduce the number of child extras needed. (Hell, if they were really bold, they could make regular use of deepfakes for the main cast, whenever the given characters aren't actually talking.) They could also theoretically do part of the show in the James/Lily period, which would both offer something new and distribute the child actors' screen time a bit more evenly, and following prevailing fanon to make Remus Lupin gay could possibly win back some much needed fan goodwill.