Have you had your fill of android related material in picard?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by WildManWizard, Jul 20, 2020.

1. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wanna see Picard jump up a flight of stairs like Dahj in each season 2 episode

2. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Ship-based action but with underlying depth. Any show can do pew-pew in space and that last Star Wars movie played into the quaint and trite notion that chucking a million ships on screen in of itself is somehow "formidable" or "epic". Riker was a blast (no pun intended) to see, getting more of that back in would be cool.

Politics... That's inevitable for Trek but how it's handled is of more interest. I'm sure season 2 will be all about the Corona instead of the usual same-old and (often uninspired) topics already covered yet again. Or maybe not.

(Going back to 1966, TOS did the same thing with 'tics... TOS was heavyhanded at times too, which is something the youtube whiny contingent ("Fandom Menace"?) has forgotten en masse... and TNG, since its season 3 episode tackling terrorism was banned in some countries as well. )

DarKush likes this.
  3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

10 episodes? A series that had stated Picard's relationship with Data was one of the major themes? Not really. I think thre are a lot of open questions!

We have been told by Akiva Goldsman that Picard's new body will be a major topic. We've also heard the reason the new Soong character was created was to allow Brent Spiner to appear and to not worry about de-aging VFX.

I think it also deals with issues Trek has touched on but not fully explored, as AI is really the topic of our time.

We've also heard we'll see more Starfleet, so we may get the best of both worlds. (ouch)

RAMA

4. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Except that the million ships on screen was more symbolic in TRoS, "the galaxy rising up against oppression" than pew pew action, hence barely seeing said ships actually in action.

If any production is guilty of throwing a million things on screen because it looks "kewl" it's CBSTrek, be it asteroids (pilot), asteroids/debris (season 2 opener), drones (season 2 finale), copy/paste fleets (Picard finale) etc...

[​IMG]

5. Kpnuts

You would hope the reason for the new Soong character was because they had an interesting story to tell, rather than just "let's get Brent Spiner in and figure out a reason why later"

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

He was already in for the Data parts. :shrug:

fireproof78 likes this.
  7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

And he wants to continue to be apart of Trek.

8. Kpnuts

I get that, but the primary concern should be can they tell an interesting story and give his presence meaning. He was in the Picard finale to provide the deus ex machina and not much else. Let's see if he adds anything substantial if they keep him around.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Maybe you should have led wit that. ;)
    I thought he was well integrated into the story. Though I have wondered if originally if there was a different character that they reworked into a Soong. Which I think is what happened with Arik Soong in ENT.

fireproof78 likes this.
  10. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I admit I want more Fenris Rangers and evil Space Nazi Doctors.

11. TPezz

TPezz Commander Red Shirt

Obviously the galaxy and all sentient life don’t get destroyed between Picard in 2399 and the time of Discovery S3, so any “world ending” storyline (like Disco S2) would be moot. So the big tentacles synthetic monster can stay firmly in S1.

I think they’ll use S2 as a way of addressing current day immigration and BLM crisis. Storyline’s about giving rights to Synths, discrimination against Synths. Now one of the most respected Humans of the time is a synthetic life form, It will challenge people’s thinking when it comes to Synths and allowing them equality as sentient beings. Picard is a modern day Rosa Parks/Martin Luther King.

12. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As much as people hate it, I actually think that Picardata is a character that needs a few episodes to deal with things:

* People saying he's not Jean Luc
    * Jean Luc insisting, "I am Jean Luc."
    * Some things that established, "Yes, I am Jean Luc."

And people trying to disassemble him for research.

Bornin1980something likes this.
  13. Bornin1980something

Bornin1980something Captain Captain

Arguably, it's three; The Orville also fell into such a story last season.

14. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

This qualifies.
    orville jar.jpg

15. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

I feel a bit tempted to post the Orville reference jar picture myself now, because you also referenced it, but I don't want to be stuck in a loop on a Trek forum for the rest of my life :D

16. The Old Mixer

The jar is for situations in which somebody references The Orville as if it were a Trek show, which was quite the thing in GTD for a while there.

fireproof78 likes this.
  17. Bornin1980something

Bornin1980something Captain Captain

What's GTD? And how do I respond to the reference jar? since it's already open, I assume I don't need the help of a Xelayan.

18. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pickle jar.

19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

General Trek Discussion.

20. The Old Mixer

You pay up. :p

fireproof78 likes this.