Hasbro's Power Rangers era and General Tokusatsu discussion

It's Kyoryuger day! (Not really)

Cosmic Fury side. New trailer

https://www.netflix.com/title/81586549?trg=more&trkid=13747225&s=a&vlang=en&clip=81705757

Deathryuger makes his American debut!

King Kyoryu Red is revealed on the packaging for King Ohger merchandise

F49Y9pYX0AA3hbd

I'm still not completely sold on the suits, even seeing them now in live action but I do like the matte-ish finish they kind of have. That looks much better in the studio lighting. The morph sequence being fast and slow-mo looks really good, and Ravi's pre-helmet pose is epic. That guy is just criminally handsome. Can't wait for the actual show!

This is interesting... Bandai's official YouTube page is carrying the premiere episode of Kamen Rider Gotchard, unfortunately without English subtitles aside from YouTube's auto-generation.

I put the descriptive text through Google Translate and got this:
Episode 1 “Gatcha! Hopper 1!” Will be distributed for free for a limited time from September 3, 2023 (Sunday) 9:30 to December 31, 2023 (Sunday) 23:59! If you missed it, or if you want to watch it again, please enjoy it here!

A man running away from something in a desolate ruin. A group of three appears there, blocking the road and attacking. The man who barely escaped with his life screams... ──Find out those who are guided by fate! ──── "Houtarou Ichinose" is a normal high school student you can find anywhere. Even today, he helped his mother, Tamami, run Kitchen Ichinose, making a creative bento before going to school. The only thing that makes him different from others is That he is passionately pursuing "Gatcha". According to Houtarou, Gotcha is "Huge dream", "I did it!", "I got it!", and so on. In his pursuit of Gotcha, He was scolded by his homeroom teacher "Minato" for not completing the career hope survey, Houtarou was teased by his classmates. One day, his classmate Rinne Kudo He sees him enter a mysterious door. Houtarou timidly follows him and has a surprise encounter there! On the other hand, in the city, a large number of mysterious creatures appear and make a big fuss! In the midst of the commotion, Takataro is also attacked by an unidentified creature. What will happen to Houtarou!? ? What is the identity of the mysterious door that Rinne is involved with!? ? And what about the mysterious man and the "those who are led by fate"? ? While many mysteries are born, Takataro Ichinose's great adventure begins! !

Maybe this is a small first step toward Toei finally simulcasting their shows like Ultraman does.

Maybe this is a small first step toward Toei finally simulcasting their shows like Ultraman does.

Nah... They have been doing it for Rider and Sentai for the past 2 years. They put the first episodes on YouTube to promote TTFC (like everything else in the Toei Tokusatsu channel).

This is just Toei and/or Bandai letting something slip through the region block. It happened before with Zero-One.

Here's some clear arts (without the card) of the Chemys from Kamen Rider Gotchard, including some new Lv.X Chemys.

https://www.kamen-rider-official.com/gotchard/chemy/

This one is VERY INTERESTING. This dapper gent is named "Timelord." Which regeneration is he on?

TvHQIQC.jpg

AOMbtS7.jpg

Last edited:
The next sentai trademark has dropped

https://twitter.com/trademark_bot/status/1700890376519995661

BAKUAGE SENTAI BOONBOOMGER

https://twitter.com/Leg10nOfBoom/status/1700902113113448730

The word Baku typically deals with spirits and folktales. Some of the rumors we’ve heard for sentai 48 so far are “Akuma” and “Qilin” Boon means to help Boom is of course, loud sounds or resonating sound to make it sound cool

From a reliable source

Also, since Color came out and dropped some info, I can share the same and confirm it:

It is a vehicle theme (but there is a twist). Helmets of the rangers have wheels on them.

Interview with Minato Takano the head writer of King-Ohger

https://nerima-eizobunka.com/interview/vol25/

Translated

>He came to work on King-Ohger through his connection to Yuya Takahashi. Takahashi, who is his senpai at his agency, was the main writer of Kamen Rider Ex-Aid and Kamen Rider Zero-One, and Takano was invited to contribute to those shows as well.

>When Takahito Omori (who produced both of the aforementioned Kamen Rider shows) was assigned to produce the 2023 Super Sentai, he asked for Takano by name from his agency.

>Omori had been really impressed with Takano’s work on episodes 23 and 24 of Kamen Rider Zero-One. He was ecstatic and jumped at the chance.

>Regarding what it’s like for him to be the main writer for a Super Sentai series for the first time, “I feel that I have no choice but to do what I find interesting. That’s the point, but I think there is a difference between ‘for adults’ and ‘enjoyable for both adults and children’. It should be something that children and their parents can enjoy watching together at home and find interesting. My main goal was to create a work that would allow them to go shopping for toys and other goods together, as well as having fun talking about how they should go to the hero show at ‘G-Rosso’ next time they go to the theater. That's what I had in mind when I created ‘King-Ohger’.”

>For tokusatsu series, he says the amount of dialogue that can be written is extremely short and limited.

>”Because it is so short, I can't explain the story in a rambling way. Moreover, the amount of dialogue that can be allocated to each person is limited, so you have to think a lot about how much you can convey the characters with just one word of dialogue. I learned a lot from this show, and I am still learning.”

>He drew on his past experiences as a manga fan when writing King-Ohger. He’s a big fan of One Piece and Hunter X Hunter and had wanted to be a mangaka at one point, so he analyzed Weekly Shonen Jump series and other manga to see how he could keep things interesting. King-Ohger is inspired by the Jump series he loved rather than past tokusatsu shows.
>When he started working on Kamen Rider and asked a staff member about the production process, he was told “Tokusatsu shows are serialized, so they’re just like shonen manga,” which was a eureka moment for him.
>He likes the sense of improvisation that comes from this format. He loves puzzles, but he also loves foreshadowing. “Sometimes I decide in advance that I'm going to collect the foreshadowing and scatter it around, and other times I'll put in a few ideas and use them later. It's this mix of things that makes it fun for me to write, and I think that's the best part of it.”
>The idea of "collecting gears" in episode 23 was an idea he got from the art designer.
“Shugoddom is an industrial country. A part of the design that encompasses the country is the cogwheel. There are gears spinning around inside the castle, and the throne also has gears on the back. So, ‘Let's say we don't have enough gears to move the castle. This is the land of cogs!’. I think we were able to do that because everyone worked so hard to create that worldview.”

>The interviewer notes, “ While the show often features rapid developments, the main characters team doesn’t come together until episode 19. The sense of composition of short and large cycles is very pleasant.”
>Takano responds “I am a person who gets bored to death. It is because I get bored easily that I love things that I can watch all the way through without getting bored. I watch such things over and over again and ask myself, "Why am I never bored? I pay a lot of attention to that. If the development is just fast, people will get tired of it. If the development is slow, but the characters are well drawn, people who like the characters will continue to watch. Be careful with the characters, but the main story should be well-paced. I try to keep a good balance between the two.”

>The first character proposal he submitted was that the rangers will be such that “no one will be left out when children play games”.
> “This time, everyone is cool. Everyone has a different coolness, everyone has a different fan base, and we wanted to make sure that when five kids got together to play Sentai, we could divide the group exactly among the five of them.”

>He liked having off-kilter characters like the retainers.

>“This time, there is no base where everyone gathers. Since there is no base, everyone is basically in their own country. That meant that the main characters, the kings, needed someone to talk to. That is one of the reasons why the retainers were inevitably created. As I mentioned before, I used to do theater, so I thought I needed to develop the characters of the retainers, so I created characters for each of them. I like supporting characters, so I put a lot of effort into them.”
>”They play their roles with a lot of gusto on the set. That's why I decided to make episodes 9 and 10 mainly about the entourage. The cast was very enthusiastic, and in episode 9 they were having a lot of fun ad-libbing. I could see from the video that they were all working with passion, and that is why I wanted to respond to them. I felt as if we grew together with this show. As a result, I am glad that many people told me they liked Episode 10.”

>Takano used an insect dictionary to create names for the characters and tried to incorporate lots of elements.

>Going into the second half of King-Ohger, Takano says “pay attention to the foreshadowing!”

Impressive drone camera work there -- they're learning from Sentai/Kamen Rider. Also great use of the New Zealand scenery.

Zordnia is a callback to MMPR season 3; it was where the Shogunzords were hidden.

Hmm... I used to assume Zords were named for Zordon, but we now know that Zords and the Morphin Grid have existed for at least 65 million years. So maybe Zordon is named for them. It would be cool if this season revealed some relationship between the Morphin Masters and Zordon, tying it all together.

Cosmic Fury episode descriptions and titles

Episode 1 -Lightning Strikes

- Bajillia enlists Lord Zedd to lead her armies in an intergalactic war and things only get worse when a ranger joins their side.

Episode 2 - Beyond Repair

- The Cosmic Fury rangers prepare for a possible galactic invasion by Lord Zedd while Amelia tries to cure a ranger turned bad. Javi learns to accept his new loss.

Episode 3 - Off Grid

- Stranded on a distant planet with no powers, the cosmic fury team scramble to figure out a way home while Earth suffers an invasion from enemy forces.

Episode 4 - Team Work

Episode 5 - Rock Out

Episode 6 - Take Off

Episode 7 - Operation Seasoning

Episode 8 - Changing Sides

Episode 9 - Master Plan

Episode 10 - The End

Hmm...

I'm guessing the "Ranger turned bad" is Billy, explaining how he gets brought into the cast. Yost is apparently a regular for the full season, so he'd probably be the first new Ranger brought into the story.

I see the title "Master Plan," and I'm reminded of Alpha's throwaway line in Power Rangers in Space (IIRC) about how the space shuttle that turns into a Megazord is part of "Zordon's master plan," something that never got any further explanation. Given how the past few seasons have been building on the idea of the Morphin Grid and laying out this underlying mythology tying all Ranger history together, I wonder if they're finally going to flesh out just what "Zordon's master plan" was and how it ties into the Grid and the Morphin Masters.

I hope they resist the temptation to resurrect Zordon, though. It is kind of a toku tradition for dead characters to be resurrected, but Zordon's sacrifice was such an iconic event that I think it should be allowed to stand.

Hmm...

I'm guessing the "Ranger turned bad" is Billy, explaining how he gets brought into the cast. Yost is apparently a regular for the full season, so he'd probably be the first new Ranger brought into the story.

I see the title "Master Plan," and I'm reminded of Alpha's throwaway line in Power Rangers in Space (IIRC) about how the space shuttle that turns into a Megazord is part of "Zordon's master plan," something that never got any further explanation. Given how the past few seasons have been building on the idea of the Morphin Grid and laying out this underlying mythology tying all Ranger history together, I wonder if they're finally going to flesh out just what "Zordon's master plan" was and how it ties into the Grid and the Morphin Masters.

I hope they resist the temptation to resurrect Zordon, though. It is kind of a toku tradition for dead characters to be resurrected, but Zordon's sacrifice was such an iconic event that I think it should be allowed to stand.

Actually, all the rumors suggest that its the Blue Dino/Cosmic Fury Ranger is who turns bad, possibly by mind control. He also apparently loses an arm, based off of various pictures. I'd assume that he turns bad, and Billy comes in to help the Cosmic Fury rangers, which we know Billy does eventually since one of the trailers showed Billy piloting the Cosmic Fury blue wolf zord alongside the other CF rangers.

So Cosmic Fury episodes 1-10 are out. This is supposedly the end of the Power Rangers franchise at this moment. Anyone checking the episodes out yet? I don't have Netflix.

I've been bingeing all day, though I'm taking a break after episode 7. It's pretty good. The episodes are only in the 24-minute range instead of twice that long as we were told they would be, but the serialized arc lets them put the characters on some interesting journeys. I find it ironic that this season that divorced itself (mostly) from Sentai footage is one of the most Sentai-esque seasons PR has ever done in terms of how serious it gets and the kind of conflicts it gives the characters.

Lord Zedd is voiced by Fred Tatasciore now, and he comes closer than Andrew Laing did to Robert Axelrod's original performance. Acting-wise, the Fury cast members have upped their game somewhat with the richer material they're playing, and Hunter Deno does well with Amelia's new leadership role. But alas, David Yost is no better than he was 30 years ago.

The Zord footage is from Kyuranger, but while most of the monster suits are from there (along with some original aliens and grunts), they're using suits from multiple Sentai seasons. I've seen Naria and Bangray from Zyuohger and a Gangler from Lupin VS Pat.

The original action is pretty good. I've been impressed with the PR action team on Dino Fury, and they're still doing good work. The Zord sequences, though, are as rushed and half-hearted as you'd expect of a Hasbro season, compounded by the fact that you've got nine or more Zords being shuffled casually by considerably fewer Rangers, depending on which ones happen to be featured in the stock footage they're using. I almost wish they'd made a complete break with Sentai and shot their own Megazord scenes. They might've been better integrated into the stories. You can see how much they have to stretch sometimes to justify the stock footage (for instance, one episode is set on a planet that's entirely forest except for one city whose only story purpose is as a backdrop for the giant battle).

The new suits aren't quite as awkward in action as they look in still photos, but they could be better. Zayto's new Zenith Ranger costume is a weird pale bronze that Russell Curry calls "champagne-colored." Amelia looks pretty darn good in red, though.

the Kyuranger costumes were are awesome and I am still very disappointent there is no Power Rangers version of that show. :wah:

So once this season of Cosmic Fury ends, it's THE Power Rangers reset?

No more Super Sentai footage/cooperation?
no more New Zealand filmed series?
Hasbro's own take on Power Rangers from A-Z?

the Kyuranger costumes were are awesome and I am still very disappointent there is no Power Rangers version of that show. :wah:

So once this season of Cosmic Fury ends, it's THE Power Rangers reset?

No more Super Sentai footage/cooperation?
no more New Zealand filmed series?
Hasbro's own take on Power Rangers from A-Z?
For now it's up in the air :shrug:

Okay, I'm finished with Cosmic Fury now, and there were some amazing story twists in the last couple of episodes. It's a shame this is the end of the current team's tenure and the current continuity, because this was really good, the best Power Rangers has been since RPM. It was great to see a season that focused on the story arc and some pretty compelling character journeys without a lot of time wasted on comic-relief characters and episodic crises. I feel serialization has become overused, but it really works here. It’s also neat how the season builds on established history, both of Dino Fury and of the entire 30-year mythology.

Tokusatsu Twitter has been full of whining about them not using the Kyuranger suits and using these weird-looking original ones instead. Hopefully that negativity will give way to more positive comments now that people can see the actual show.

By the way, we can add Fred Tatasciore to the list of actors appearing in both Power Rangers and Star Trek, which is longer than I thought it would be. Robert Axelrod, the original voice of Lord Zedd (and Finster), was in Voyager: "Repentance" as an alien criminal. Hilary Shepard Turner (Divatox) was in two episodes of DS9 as one of the genetically engineered Jack Pack. Adelaide Kane (Tenaya-7) recently appeared as Sera in Strange New Worlds: "Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow." Edward Laurence Albert (Mr. Collins in Time Force) was a Bajoran in DS9: "A Man Alone." Michael Forest, Apollo from "Who Mourns for Adonais," voiced Prince Olympius in Lightspeed Rescue. Chris Violette (SPD's Sky) was the Shenzhou's transporter officer (and his Mirror Universe duplicate) in Discovery. Vaughn Armstrong was a government agent in a Lightspeed Rescue episode and has played many different Trek roles. Jennifer Tung (Nefaria from Saban's Masked Rider and its crossover with MMPR season 3) was an Enterprise ensign in Insurrection. Jack Guzman (Danny in Wild Force) was an uncredited background crewman in a number of first-season Enterprise episodes. There are also a few stunt performers in common in the LA-produced Ranger seasons.

So Cosmic Fury episodes 1-10 are out. This is supposedly the end of the Power Rangers franchise at this moment. Anyone checking the episodes out yet? I don't have Netflix.

I really enjoyed it. I could have had it be a bit longer, but honestly, the story they told was still satisfying with just the ten episodes. The villains were top notch comedy gold and there were some lovely surprises. Ollie is by far my least favorite character, but his part in the season was perfect! I wish he could have been like that the whole series, lol. Completely adorable and hammy.

As an end to Power Rangers, it is pretty low key. It pays respect to the history but it is very much the third season and finale of Dino Fury, and satisfying in that. It leaves a bit of an open ended ending letting us know there is more to the story that we can imagine in the greater PR universe (as it should be), but is very conclusive for our heroes. Any complaints I have are minor. The Zords are not at all a hugely important thing to me in any series (they will never treat them like Gundams like how i want) but this particular series goes out of its way to make them feel like an afterthought and mandatory inclusion.

Back