Hasbro's Power Rangers era and General Tokusatsu discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

It could be the more recent the series / license the more fees and costs are required.

Also here’s the annual official photo of the newest sentai team of this year ” boonboomger ” on the top of Toei studios

[​IMG]

2. Samurai8472

Tokushoutsu upload of Kamen Rider Geats opening

Kamen Rider Geats is now on Shoutfactory's website. Interestingly the first episode has the bumper featuring Donbrothers.

It must be okay to show footage of because it's post Ryuusoulger(Dino Fury) and doesn't fall under Hasbro's license.

https://shout-tv.com/series/kamen-rider-geats-series

Also at 8 pm after Kamen Rider Gotchard and Osama Sentai Kingohger the press conference will be held for Bakuage Sentai Boonboomger.

Also there will be an announcement about a potential Kakuranger 30th anniversary event

Last edited: Feb 17, 2024
  3. Samurai8472

Twitch link for the press conference

https://m.twitch.tv/7241245676

[​IMG]

Promo

Series trailer

[​IMG]

Taiya Hando/Bun Red (Haruhi Iuchi): A creative fighter and delivery man via his self-built car. He has an ability to see things as they truly are and is competitive, which leads to him making quick decisions and judgements. He takes risks in a positive manner.

Ishiro Meita/Bun Blue (Yuki Hayama): A freelance spy who works with Taiya as if under contract. He's usually calm and always considers risks. He is great at precise movements and is great with a gun

Mirai Shifuto/Bun Pink (Suzuki Miu): An expert driver who works part time at many stores. She amazes Taiya and Ishiro with her driving skills and fights intuitively.

Jou Akuse/Bun Black (Saito Ryu): A rookie cop who patrols on his bicycle. He is serious, aggressive, and confident in his own physical strength.

Gemba Bureki/Bun Orange (Satoru Soma): A master procurer who can get what he needs from anywhere. He is gentle and elusive, never showing his true feelings. He is good at taking advantage of his opponent's weaknesses.

[​IMG]

Bundrio Bundelas/Bun Bun (Rica Matsumoto): A car-shaped alien who crashed on Earth after being injured. They live in Taiya's garage at his secret base/home and is a great mechanic and cook. They created the Boonboomger gear with Taiya and can also become Boonboomger Robo.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  4. Samurai8472

[​IMG]

Boonboomger episode 1 synopsis

Sounds very untraditional but the arranged marriage still is very Japanese cultured.

it’s a way more interesting start than the typical Red and friends are living their ordinary lives and boom the enemy starts attacking and randomly they are given powers. You know like 99% of first sentai episodes.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Okay, that sounds interesting. I like the pun on the monster name -- as "Kuru Majuu," it's "Suffering Demon Beast," and as "Kuruma Juu," it's "Car Beast." "Hashiryan" is Japanese for "Run!"

According to RangerWiki, the characters are:

Designation - Name - Actor
    Bun Red - Taiya Hando - Haruhi Iuchi
    Bun Blue - Ishiro Meita - Yuki Hayama
    Bun Pink - Mira Shifuto - Miu Suzuki
    Bun Black - Jou Akuse - Ryu Saito
    Bun Orange - Genba Bureki - Satoru Soma

The surnames respectively suggest "Handle," "Meter" (perhaps), "Shift," "Acce[lerator]," and "Brake."

6. Samurai8472

Taiya Hando = Tire Handle

Just found out (from TV-Asahi's website) that the Hashiriyan trio is attacking humans (via the Kurumajuu produced by Ittasha) to collect the energy of their screams known as "Gyasoline".

Also, it's really funny to see that Tomioka went all-out with the Pokemon references. A trio of stupid villains, composed of 2 "humans" and 1 "animal", who want to work their way up their organization? That's just the Team Rocket trio lol

7. Christopher

Oh, I didn't catch the "Tire" homophone. Except it would be Hando Taiya in Japanese name order. When they do pun names, it's usually meaningful in surname-first order. (Like Sailor Moon/Tsukino Usagi = Tsuki no Usagi = "Rabbit of the Moon.")

Come to think of it, Mira could be a pun on "mirror." Genba might be... gimbal? Do cars have gimbals? I've got nothing for Ishiro or Jou.

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

hmm, Shifuto=shifter? Bureki=brake?
    EDIT: crap never mind, saw the post above

9. Samurai8472

10. Samurai8472

VS trailers at the end of KingOhger's finale

The site for the VS movies updated with plot summaries for each of them.

VS Donbrothers

The King-Ohger and Donbrothers teams have ended up in Hakabaka, the land of the dead, all of them having died for various reasons. Without knowing who the other is, will there be an end to this battle? Why are they fighting in the first place? Eventually, they arrive at one abyssal truth...

VS Kyoryuger

Daigo and Utsusemimaru pursue Dugded, but in the middle of the battle, Ucchy is sent to an Earth in an alternate dimension. Deboss has invaded this Earth, unable to stop Dagded. Ucchy tries to head back to his own world, but the timeline has been altered and the Galactinsect King Gira reigns over Terra...

-GolDon KuwagataOhger (?), King Don Momotaro (?), KuwagataOhger Carnival Mode, New Powerup for Daigo, and the evil UchuuOh Gira, using a red repaint of the Riniol suit. Plus the King-Ohger using all the carnival arms, Yayoi back, and all 10 Kyoryuger!!!

11. Christopher

Today is (or yesterday was, by now) the 16th birthday of Reiyo Matsumoto, who plays Rinne Kudou/Kamen Rider Majade on Kamen Rider Gotchard. Since this is Leap Day, this is technically only her fourth birthday. (Or at least only the fourth time her birthday celebration will have fallen on the actual day.) O tanjoubi omedetou!

I'm surprised she's so young. I would've expected them to cast at least 18- or 19-year-olds as teenagers.

12. Samurai8472

Get ready to shift into high gear tomorrow! Episode 1 promotional stills released for Boonboomger

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Mr. Adventure

I'm not very familiar with recent shows but that wrist changer looks HUGE.

14. Christopher

It does seem to be one of the largest bracelet-style changers. It looks a little wider and somewhat thicker than a KiramaiChanger, the most recent bracelet changer before this.

15. Samurai8472

May 20 likes this.
  16. Mr. Adventure

I checked out Boonboomger out of curiousity. Even though I know the connection between sentai and toys it was still a bit startling to see the ads airing right during the programming like that. I haven't been a fan of CGI or overly toy look but the most recent of recent sentai seem to have taken that ball and run with it so I thought I'd give it a shot. I've coincidentally been on a recent kick of watching the Toei Spider-Man and Jetman from a Twitch channel I follow and it had me in the mood to explore a bit.

I figured I would from the promotional pictures but I liked the fun characterization of Bun Pink. She actually reminds me a bit of Jodelle Ferland from Dark Matter.

The bit with traffic laws and safety is funny especially with all the craziness going on otherwise.

Looked like there may be some callbacks to other car movies and TV:
    • Runaway bride from "Smokey and the Bandit"
    • Bun Orange seems a lot like Han/Sung Kang from "Fast and Furious" franchise with the lollipop and orange car
    • Car flip from "Cars 3"

And no, I'm not saying it's a rip-off, bad, or even necessarily intentional but I think it would be fun if it was and there are more to come.

17. Christopher

I've gotten used to that from watching Ultraman on the YouTube channel. In America, the FCC only allowed the era of "toy commercial" cartoons like He-Man and G.I. Joe to exist by forbidding commercials for the shows' own toys from airing during the shows. Clearly that's not the case in Japan.

Sounds like a nod to Carrrrrrrr...ranger! Traffic safety was their motto.

Oh, it's not at all unusual for Sentai to be highly derivative of other media, like Megaranger's spaceship knocking off the Defiant from Deep Space Nine or Magiranger being a riff on Harry Potter.

18. Samurai8472

Boom! Boom! Boom! BoonBoomger changer review

19. Samurai8472

Ummm. I may have had a slight indulgence to pre-order one >_>

Boom! Boom!Boom! Boom!Boom!

[​IMG]

20. Samurai8472