Hasbro's Power Rangers era and General Tokusatsu discussion

Tokushoutsu upload of Kamen Rider Geats opening

Kamen Rider Geats is now on Shoutfactory's website. Interestingly the first episode has the bumper featuring Donbrothers.

It must be okay to show footage of because it's post Ryuusoulger(Dino Fury) and doesn't fall under Hasbro's license.

https://shout-tv.com/series/kamen-rider-geats-series

Also at 8 pm after Kamen Rider Gotchard and Osama Sentai Kingohger the press conference will be held for Bakuage Sentai Boonboomger.

Also there will be an announcement about a potential Kakuranger 30th anniversary event

Last edited:
Twitch link for the press conference

https://m.twitch.tv/7241245676

MJBcFtn.jpg

Promo

Series trailer

MVuA9zT.jpg

Taiya Hando/Bun Red (Haruhi Iuchi): A creative fighter and delivery man via his self-built car. He has an ability to see things as they truly are and is competitive, which leads to him making quick decisions and judgements. He takes risks in a positive manner.

Ishiro Meita/Bun Blue (Yuki Hayama): A freelance spy who works with Taiya as if under contract. He's usually calm and always considers risks. He is great at precise movements and is great with a gun

Mirai Shifuto/Bun Pink (Suzuki Miu): An expert driver who works part time at many stores. She amazes Taiya and Ishiro with her driving skills and fights intuitively.

Jou Akuse/Bun Black (Saito Ryu): A rookie cop who patrols on his bicycle. He is serious, aggressive, and confident in his own physical strength.

Gemba Bureki/Bun Orange (Satoru Soma): A master procurer who can get what he needs from anywhere. He is gentle and elusive, never showing his true feelings. He is good at taking advantage of his opponent's weaknesses.

hbd3eBZ.jpg

Bundrio Bundelas/Bun Bun (Rica Matsumoto): A car-shaped alien who crashed on Earth after being injured. They live in Taiya's garage at his secret base/home and is a great mechanic and cook. They created the Boonboomger gear with Taiya and can also become Boonboomger Robo.

Last edited:
w4wj6dS_d.webp

Boonboomger episode 1 synopsis

Shifuto Mira( Boon Pink) has been forced into a marriage that she does not want, and her boyfriend has hired one Handou Taiya to save her. Arriving at the church to pick her up in his modified “Rockstar” super car, the two head to the airport where her boyfriend is waiting. However, en route, they are attacked by the Hashiriyan and Mira’s wedding dress, a memento of her grandmother’s, is turned into a “KuruMajuu” (Suffering Demon Beast/Car Beast). To retrieve the dress, Taiya transforms into BunRed!

Sounds very untraditional but the arranged marriage still is very Japanese cultured.

it’s a way more interesting start than the typical Red and friends are living their ordinary lives and boom the enemy starts attacking and randomly they are given powers. You know like 99% of first sentai episodes.

Okay, that sounds interesting. I like the pun on the monster name -- as "Kuru Majuu," it's "Suffering Demon Beast," and as "Kuruma Juu," it's "Car Beast." "Hashiryan" is Japanese for "Run!"

According to RangerWiki, the characters are:

Designation - Name - Actor
Bun Red - Taiya Hando - Haruhi Iuchi
Bun Blue - Ishiro Meita - Yuki Hayama
Bun Pink - Mira Shifuto - Miu Suzuki
Bun Black - Jou Akuse - Ryu Saito
Bun Orange - Genba Bureki - Satoru Soma

The surnames respectively suggest "Handle," "Meter" (perhaps), "Shift," "Acce[lerator]," and "Brake."

Taiya Hando = Tire Handle

Just found out (from TV-Asahi's website) that the Hashiriyan trio is attacking humans (via the Kurumajuu produced by Ittasha) to collect the energy of their screams known as "Gyasoline".

Also, it's really funny to see that Tomioka went all-out with the Pokemon references. A trio of stupid villains, composed of 2 "humans" and 1 "animal", who want to work their way up their organization? That's just the Team Rocket trio lol

Taiya Hando = Tire Handle

Oh, I didn't catch the "Tire" homophone. Except it would be Hando Taiya in Japanese name order. When they do pun names, it's usually meaningful in surname-first order. (Like Sailor Moon/Tsukino Usagi = Tsuki no Usagi = "Rabbit of the Moon.")

Come to think of it, Mira could be a pun on "mirror." Genba might be... gimbal? Do cars have gimbals? I've got nothing for Ishiro or Jou.

VS trailers at the end of KingOhger's finale

The site for the VS movies updated with plot summaries for each of them.

VS Donbrothers

The King-Ohger and Donbrothers teams have ended up in Hakabaka, the land of the dead, all of them having died for various reasons. Without knowing who the other is, will there be an end to this battle? Why are they fighting in the first place? Eventually, they arrive at one abyssal truth...

VS Kyoryuger

Daigo and Utsusemimaru pursue Dugded, but in the middle of the battle, Ucchy is sent to an Earth in an alternate dimension. Deboss has invaded this Earth, unable to stop Dagded. Ucchy tries to head back to his own world, but the timeline has been altered and the Galactinsect King Gira reigns over Terra...

-GolDon KuwagataOhger (?), King Don Momotaro (?), KuwagataOhger Carnival Mode, New Powerup for Daigo, and the evil UchuuOh Gira, using a red repaint of the Riniol suit. Plus the King-Ohger using all the carnival arms, Yayoi back, and all 10 Kyoryuger!!!

Today is (or yesterday was, by now) the 16th birthday of Reiyo Matsumoto, who plays Rinne Kudou/Kamen Rider Majade on Kamen Rider Gotchard. Since this is Leap Day, this is technically only her fourth birthday. (Or at least only the fourth time her birthday celebration will have fallen on the actual day.) O tanjoubi omedetou!

I'm surprised she's so young. I would've expected them to cast at least 18- or 19-year-olds as teenagers.

If anyone is interested, here's twitch link that will go live at 7 pm eastern/6 pm central time for the Superhero time hour(Kamen Rider Gotchard and then Boonboomger at 7:30 pm/6:30 pm central time

https://m.twitch.tv/7241245676
I checked out Boonboomger out of curiousity. Even though I know the connection between sentai and toys it was still a bit startling to see the ads airing right during the programming like that. I haven't been a fan of CGI or overly toy look but the most recent of recent sentai seem to have taken that ball and run with it so I thought I'd give it a shot. I've coincidentally been on a recent kick of watching the Toei Spider-Man and Jetman from a Twitch channel I follow and it had me in the mood to explore a bit.

I figured I would from the promotional pictures but I liked the fun characterization of Bun Pink. She actually reminds me a bit of Jodelle Ferland from Dark Matter.

The bit with traffic laws and safety is funny especially with all the craziness going on otherwise.

Looked like there may be some callbacks to other car movies and TV:
  • Runaway bride from "Smokey and the Bandit"
  • Bun Orange seems a lot like Han/Sung Kang from "Fast and Furious" franchise with the lollipop and orange car
  • Car flip from "Cars 3"

And no, I'm not saying it's a rip-off, bad, or even necessarily intentional but I think it would be fun if it was and there are more to come.

I checked out Boonboomger out of curiousity. Even though I know the connection between sentai and toys it was still a bit startling to see the ads airing right during the programming like that.

I've gotten used to that from watching Ultraman on the YouTube channel. In America, the FCC only allowed the era of "toy commercial" cartoons like He-Man and G.I. Joe to exist by forbidding commercials for the shows' own toys from airing during the shows. Clearly that's not the case in Japan.

The bit with traffic laws and safety is funny especially with all the craziness going on otherwise.

Sounds like a nod to Carrrrrrrr...ranger! Traffic safety was their motto.

And no, I'm not saying it's a rip-off, bad, or even necessarily intentional but I think it would be fun if it was and there are more to come.

Oh, it's not at all unusual for Sentai to be highly derivative of other media, like Megaranger's spaceship knocking off the Defiant from Deep Space Nine or Magiranger being a riff on Harry Potter.

Incidentally, forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but I just randomly discovered the reason the Avataro Sentai Donbrothers were called that. I found out that the opening scene of the Momotaro folk story, which the team is based on, includes the term Donburako, which is an onomatopoeia for the sound of the giant peach in the story splashing into the river and bobbing up and down in the water. (Interesting how different languages arrive at completely different onomatopoeias for some things.) So from that you get Donbura and that leads to Donburazāzu, aka Donbrothers. I guess that's where they got the idea for the "brother/sister" theme to the names, from that wordplay. Not to mention the DonBlaster (Donburastaa) changer/weapons, which include "Donburako!" as part of their recorded announcements.

Back