Spoilers Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by dahj, Apr 28, 2017.

?

Grade the Movie

1. A+

19.7%
  2. A

32.3%
  3. A-

18.1%
  4. B+

11.8%
  5. B

9.4%
  6. B-

3.1%
  7. C+

2.4%
  8. C

1.6%
  9. C-

0.8%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0.8%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Lakenheath 72

Lakenheath 72 Commodore Commodore

I partially agree.

I am good with a variety of musical genres. I am not good with the lack of creativity and innovation, and the loss of an authentic sound of the singers and bands. There is a homogenous feeling to the music nowadays.

(I watched a documentary on the classic rock band Rush. One of the differences raised in the film, which highlights the differences between then and now, is that a band like Rush would not have succeeded in today's world. It took Rush four albums before they found their sound and hit their stride. Now, it is expected that what took Rush four albums to do, a singer or band has to do in one album. If they don't, they might not get another chance.)

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I thought the middle act and the denouement both dragged on a little too long, Star-Lord kinda disappeared for a while, there wasn't much of a plot, and the music was neither as good or as well-used as the music was in the first film, but I still enjoyed it. There was a lot of fantastic character work and the actors were all excellent, and Ego is definitely one of Marvel's better villains. B+

I gotta get me one of them Zunes. How have I never heard of them before? Three hundred songs! :eek:

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder if this movie might bring back the zune. Probably not but it really was a blink and you miss it thing. It couldn't compete with the iPod and other mp3 players at the time. Loved that joke though at the end.

Skywalker likes this.
  4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Might raise the price a little on eBay? I thought it was funny because a guy at work had a Zune and we always teased him about it.

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I loved the drone fleet just being a big video game.

"You suck"

Pac-man. Nuff said.

I agree. Drax was just there. We got development for Gamora,Quill, Yondu and Rocket. I'm sure the future "how it should have ended" episode will have scene where Rocket is forced to bring back the batteries. Movie ends right there

Rocket- Here's your stupid batteries you douche.

I was surprised "Fox on the run" by the sweets wasn't in the movie considering that was in the trailer.

So we're going to start all guardians movies with a small scene in the 80's? I think I saw Quills young girlfriend in a scene before he used his powers to defeat Ego.

6. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Loved it! This movie ROCKED!!

Admiral2 likes this.
  7. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Well the Zune model they showed (if I'm remembering correctly) was from the mid 2000s, which means they could keep the next one's playlist within an 80s and 90s theme without stretching credibility too far.

Snick27 likes this.
  8. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I hope so. Best case scenario, they used the zune as a joke and/or as an excuse to use more songs in the next soundtrack then a cassette tape would have, while also having an excuse to use more songs whenever they want without having to have Peter get another cassette tape in the story.

9. Skywalker

Oh yeah, and bonus points for the Ben Browder cameo! I wish I hadn't known about that going into the movie, but it was great to see him.

10. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah that stuff was hilarious. I also loved "I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!"

Hell there was even character development for Groot. He started the story just being silly and everyone else keeping him out of way and safe from the fight. In the middle they needed him to actually do something to help them, but he couldn't be relied on to actually get it right. And at the end, they relied on him as the only one who could save the universe - and he did get it right.

11. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I didn't know he was in it and didn't recognise him although something tickled my brain when he appeared that he seemed familiar. I have mild prosopagnosia so it's not really a surprise. Maybe the gold face paint threw me. Knowing he was in it wouldn't have been a spoiler. What people term as spoilers nowadays is becoming increasingly tenuous.

12. Mr. Adventure

While not uncommon to have music in trailers that aren't in the movie that one seemed so played up and central in the publicity it was surprising to not have it there.

I picked it up from the voice myself, not sure if I would've recognized him from face alone.

13. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Solid A from me, Iloved every silly second.

14. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Was that music playing when Yondu was on that snow planet a real son, or just alien music they made up for the movie?

15. Skywalker

Well, nobody said anything about it being a spoiler.

16. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Saw GoG 2 on Saturday at 2:30pm and the theater was full. The movie was hugely entertaining from start to finish. It was everything you expect from a Guardians of the Galaxy movie: lots of action, fun and humor. The movie really played up the humor. It was pretty much non stop of wise cracks and funny situations from all the characters. The Ego planet was beautiful. And then after all the fun, action and humor, the movie manages to end on an emotional high note that really hits you in the heart with Yondu's show stealing line, "He may be your father but he ain't your daddy, boy!" and then his sacrifice and the ravager funeral. WOW! It is rare to find a movie that can appear to just be a silly fun romp but then have some really poignant character moments and genuine emotion.

Pleasantly surprised to see Ben Browder appear in the movie although I kinda wished he had a bigger role.

1001001 likes this.
  17. Mr. Adventure

Earlier in the thread it was mentioned how GOTG is similar to Farscape and that Gunn likely was influenced to some degree by it. So I have a question, I've seen all of Farscape but it's been a while, if you could pick one episode that was the most Guardians-esque what would it be? I was thinking of checking out some Farscape again and am curious what the answer to that might be.

18. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd say any of the multi-part heists that end every season. Huge galaxy-shattering events, sexual tension, grotesque bad guys, every member of the team having a role to play in a really outlandish and utterly dreadful plan, godlike powers, sacrifice and tragedy, while still leaving time for the occasional fart joke.

19. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

Aside from two or three songs, I wasn't that impressed by the movie's soundtrack. However, I did enjoy the music during the closing credits. I wish Gunn had used it during the actual movie.

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member