Green Lantern Series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by cbspock, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

So with the Red Lantern army defeated, I wondering what next assuming there is a season 2.

I mean are they going to come up with a way to keep the show all space operaish or are they going to go with the usual super hero show stick?

Also I think Christopher will be happy that the Star Sapphire magic teleporter portal thingy

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, the GL comics were loaded with space opera for decades before the color-coded Lantern Corps stuff was introduced. So hopefully they'll keep it cosmic but move beyond the Lantern this and Ring that all the time.

Indeed, as a 3D-animated series, they pretty much have to. As I've said before, it's a much more limiting format than 2D animation. Look at the Earth-based scenes in this episode. The city was completely deserted except for Hal and Carol, because it's much more expensive and time-consuming to create characters for 3D animation than it is for hand-drawn 2D animation. I kept wondering if the whole thing was in Hal's mind and the emptiness was a clue, but apparently it was supposed to be real and they just didn't have the budget to create background character models. So I'm sure they'll keep the series spacebound because it's easier to justify a lack of people in stories set aboard spaceships or on barren alien worlds. (I'm wondering how Beware the Batman is going to cope with this problem.)

You seem to have gotten cut off in the middle there, but yes, I am glad that they didn't ignore the potential of their teleportation system -- and that they acknowledged its limitations as well.

In fact, this finale did a good job of tying the threads of the whole season together, and brought it to an effective resolution. I have the whole season saved up on my DVR now, and I'm going to want to watch it straight through sometime, see how it holds together as a serial.

3. Hartzilla2007

Of Course this isn't a problem with Star Wars: The Clone Wars seeing as Lucas is funding it himself (from what I've heard) and doesn't seem very stingy with the cash.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought this was a really good finale. I love how they managed to tie so many of the different elements of the season together in last few episodes.
    As for season two, I'm wondering if they're going to introduce the Sinestro Corps as at least one element of the story. They dealt so much with the Yellow Crystals over the season I find it hard to believe they won't tie them into a bigger story somewhere during the show's run.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It just seems weird that because the show started well after Hal's origin, that Sinestro hasn't already happened, even though there is some considerable distance between the origin of Sinestro and the genesis of his Corps.

6. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

Would Red Lantern lackey Balzac* be so consenting to the Guardian's offer if he knew the Red Lantern fleet was knocked-out in what amounted to another slaughter by Oan "peace keepers".

Oh, sure, we can assume the ship and the shard still had life support since it's a cartoon. Really...thousands dead...that's what would happen.

*Not the character's actual name since I cannot remember it...he's a ball with face and limbs.

Also, where did Killowag's lantern come from? I thought they were marooned without so much as their rings last episode?

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

the red lantern ringslingers, their groundpounders and navy all seemed like separate deals to me, requiring completely different disciples.

How many thousand incredibly educated professionals are needed to make even one of those warships work? God forbid the infrastructure to build one.

That's not rage.

And those soliders? Mindless unquestioning silent obedience like that isn't rage either.

Drugs, or recovered coopted Manhunter AI?

8. Christopher

The character's name is Zilius Zox. And if he's rational enough to make peace at all, then he's rational enough to know that they were defending against his side's attack, so he'd be pretty hypocritical to blame them for it. He surely understands that if you go to war, it's a given that you'll lose lives. But sooner or later you have to end the war and focus on what happens next.

His name is Kilowog. He never lost his power battery (his "lantern"). It was Hal's battery that turned blue and flew away (though Hal apparently had a backup on Earth). Last week, before the GLs left the Interceptor, we saw Kilowog bring his power battery with him, forming a ring-construct harness so he could carry it with him, in case he needed extra energy during the battle.

9. Hartzilla2007

Who says that have to introduce Sinestro as a Green Lantern seeing as Razer wouldn't know who he is and he would likely be with them as a main character they could just do an info dump to catch the audience up on who Sinestro is.

10. Christopher

Why is it weird that the show would do things differently from the comics? Most adaptations make changes to the comics' storylines. This show is already very different from the comics' continuity in numerous ways -- Guardian space is finite rather than encompassing the whole universe, the Zamarons and Mogo live way out in the frontier zone, Carol only spent about five minutes as a Star Sapphire, etc. And other shows have made even more changes to the comics' canon. Heck, in the DC Animated Universe, Hal Jordan never even became a Green Lantern, and it was Kyle Rayner who got the ring from Abin Sur. So there's no reason this show couldn't approach Sinestro's origin in a completely different way than the comics did.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally saw the finale, and wow, that was pretty freakin epic. It's a shame so many people dismissed this show outright because of the animation, because the storytelling has been about as strong as anything I've ever seen. All the little twists and surprises-- like a Red Lantern joining the crew, or the development of Aya (who has quickly become one of my favorite animated characters ever)-- have been cool as hell, and the way they tied all the season's storylines together was pretty impressive as well (even if it did require characters making lots of quick return trips to planets that should be lightyears out of their way).

I know most people are more into the Young Justice right now, but for my money this is the vastly more fun and entertaining show. And I really hope it comes back for another season.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I recently caught up on the show as well, and I really enjoyed it. I also hope for a renewal.

13. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Does anyone know if there are MP3s or any kind of downloadable versions of the OP and ED? They're pretty cool.

14. davejames

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It sounds like this should be pretty fun. I don't have any experience with Gardner or the Anti-Monitor, so I'll be looking forward to seeing them.

16. Christopher

Diedrich Bader is a cool choice for Guy Gardner. I hope the whole season isn't set on Earth, though.

Interesting that the summary refers to Aya and Razer as Corps members.

17. davejames

I really loved the few Earth scenes we got before, but I don't really need the whole season to be set there. I just want to see him interacting with more of the Corp and going on missions with GLs other than just Kilowog.

18. Christopher

As I remarked above, I didn't care for the Earth scenes because they were too empty. The show apparently didn't have the budget to populate them with background characters or give them much detail. So they felt too sparse and unconvincing. It wasn't so bad in the alien settings, but when it's something as familiar as Earth, it stands out.

I would like to see Carol play a larger role in season 2, though.

19. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ I'd love to see her as a Star Sapphire again.

20. Christopher

I actually felt she was more heroic and impressive in her civilian identity. And better-looking without the mask. I don't think violet is really her color anyway.