Green Arrow (CW)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Jan 13, 2012.

1. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps, but I'm not so sure. They seem really committed to this 'realism' thing. And if they slow down and stop running through DC's villain's catalog they got more than enough realistic villains to last for a lot of seasons. And even then, some of the superpowered villains can be 'logically' given scientific reasons for their extraordinary abilities.

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

And they would still be superpowered.

3. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

It has the same vibe Smallville did regarding "realism." And, lo and behold, that show was chock-full of super powers.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I disagree.

The visual style alone sets them apart. SV's excessive use of color (especially the primaries) made it a much more vibrant world. This implied a certain element of fantasy. There were times where they used filters to accentuate them.

Contrarily, Arrow uses a gray filter to "ground" the show.

The thing is, I hope the Arrow people start imbuing some more color into the show soon. IMO I think it's still one thing that sets it apart from Smallville. I always found the color to add a certain element of warmth that drew viewers in.

Arrow just doesn't have that, and since emulating the visual style of Nolanverse isn't enough (you need the resources/talent also), I think it's going to run stale quickly.

Plus, I don't think the "realism" angle plays nearly the impact in television as it does film. So I think it might be nice for them to "let their hair down".

I admit though, it does appear the writers have a long-term plan in mind. I supposed at this point their main focus is just getting through the first season and making some changes if they get picked-up.

Look at the a fore mentioned Buffy: tonally, visually, and stylistically the first season is almost like a completely different show from the subsequent six.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is almost nearly Batman... Of course it's dark, just like Superman is bright and colourful. Making Superman dark, or (almost nearly) Batman bright is just weird.

Yes, Adam West, but that's half my point.

And the Red Blue Blurr is the otherhalf.

6. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, and no. Sure they would have enhanced powers but a more grounded explanation for them than some of the ones that some DC characters have. Plus I could see them not being too overdone, too overpowered, and their 'costumes' wouldn't be so fanciful. If they had costumes at all.

You wouldn't see aliens, magical, or non-human looking characters, like Killer Croc for example. Though you might get a Killer Croc who resembled Vinnie Jones's Scales from the Cape TV show.

But perhaps a cyborg character like Metallo or Reactron, I could see Arrow pulling that off. Minus the kryptonite hearts. I could see the show using medical experimentation as an excuse for 'super' powers, something to take it out of the realm of the fanciful.

DC also has a lot of characters who don't have superpowers but advanced technology, like Firefly (which is already coming to the show), so I could see them using more guys like that before they went to superpowered route.

7. sojourner

No matter the rationalization, they would still be "superpowered" compared to what we've seen on the show to date.

8. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

And thats why this show needs the Question. No powers just a funky mask, a hat and a trenchcoat. Of course if the ratings start falling we could see poers appear rather sooner than later.

9. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Or they could just, you know, create their own original villains.

10. Guy Gardener

Original villians suck.

They bought a sandbox to play in, it's not yet time to play outside the box.

11. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, forgetting possible copyright problems on other comic books, what heroes and villains can exist in Arrow without violating the rules. Obviously, some characters like Deathstroke the Terminator are just de-powered.

Lex Luthor for one, the Joker, the Penguin, Conner Hawke, Black Canary (de-powered), Diana Prince (ditto), Bruce Wayne, Dick Grayson as Nightwing, Blue Beetle (Ted Kord version), the Question, Nemesis, Dr. Sivana, Wildcat, The Atom (Golden Age version), Dr. Midnight (reworked somewhat)...anybody else want to continue?

12. sojourner

Golden age Sandman.

13. theenglish

Apparently Count Vertigo will be in the series. I wonder what they will do with him when they take away his powers.

I imagine that the League of Assassins and the Crime Bible will appear.

Cassandra Cain?

Brick?

The archer on the island is Merlyn, correct?

14. sojourner

No. Merlyn is his best friend.

15. theenglish

But, he doesn't fill the same role.

16. sojourner

yet.

And remember, we now know 2 characters with the name Merlyn on the show.

17. Guy Gardener

There's more than one Merlyn.

Count Vertigo can totally use tech to screw up peoples inner ears and they fall over, the only reason that they don't use weapons like that in the real world is that it's hard to make people dizzy without giving them a stroke with something so inexact.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Based on what's been said in interview this version of Vertigo is a drug dealer, who becomes a major threat because of something Ollie does.

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The Atom actually got superpowers towards the end of the Golden Age.

20. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope that the Red Bee shows up.