Gotham - Season 1

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

IE 11 would be fine, were it not for the atrocious font rendering.

2. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Is there no love for Firefox any longer?

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^I use Firefox for sites that Opera 12 doesn't handle well -- mainly Facebook, Netflix, and io9.

4. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

To get slightly more on topic... Am I the only one really getting tired of hearing the words "...this city..." in a an overly dramatic tone uttered every two minutes by every single character in every single super hero show? Arrow, Flash, Gotham...

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still use Firefox 3.0, and I have the updates turned off.

I think they're up to Firefox 30.0, so I have no idea what Firefox is really like these days, and I probably won't until I buy a new third hand computer some years from now.

Although brand new note books are only $200.00 now, so that's actually almost cheaper than a second hand full sized PC in most pawn shops.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Got around to watching Monday night's episode. I really liked this one and think it's more along what the series needs to be. Had the right dark tones to it and dialed back on the OTT stuff and camp. Still, The Penguin continues to impress, I find him far more interesting to watch than Gordon.

On the topic of browsers:

I used to use Opera 12.x but it started becoming less and less useful as it seemed more sites were upgrading to newer versions of various plug-ins (like Java, Flash, etc.) and then Google stopped supporting it and reverted back to a much older version of Google.

So, I relented and downloaded the latest version of Opera 20-whatever it is and, more or less I'm okay with it. It has *some* of the features regained from when Opera first when to a Chromium-based system but still lacks many of the features I liked about Opera. (Tab-stacking, being able to "disguise" websites as other browsers when a Opera wasn't correctly supported, no real proper bookmark bar/tool bar, no built-in ability to block images (though there's a Opera Plug-In you can get that will allow you to support Chrome plug-ins where you can get an AdBlock Plug-In that'll allow you to select images to block, and most frustratingly no "Find" feature in the Right-Click menu. In fact there's no "Find" in the menus at all! You have to use Ctrl+F.)

But, after about a month of use Opera 2x is... Okay. It's not the near masterpiece Opera 12.x was but it's sort-of close. After using it for a while I've gotten used to its quirks.

I do have links in a bookmark bar, like in older Opera, but there's still no "proper" bookmarks menu you can get too, just any bookmarks in your bar overflow into separate menus up there and you can even make bookmark folders in the bookmark bar.

I really did love Opera and wish it hadn't gone to the Chrome model which I find in many ways clunky. (Call me old-fashioned, I liked having a File, Tools, etc. bar on the top of my window.)

Christopher I would recommend getting the latest version of the Chromium-Based Opera because sooner or later the lack of support for older Opera will mount, you're already running into the problems that forced me to switch with Google going back to an older version.

There are ways to import your old bookmarks and they'll be there for you get to, though not in an entirely traditional manner. And, as I said, other quirks when you're used to Opera 12.x but it's a decent browser. (I'm personally not a huge fan of Chrome.)

I do have some problems with Opera 2x properly managing my computer's resources when I have multiple tabs open usually prompting a browser restart but, overall it's not terrible.

Still wish I could stack my damn tabs. Sort of another oddity, clicking on a link can't be made to automatically open a new tab. Unless the website has set-it up to do so, Opera 2x will open a clicked link in the currently viewed tab. So you have to get back into the reflex of doing a right-click or opening the middle-click menu.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
  7. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Beagleman!!! You have failed this....

8. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

I'll miss Colbert's edge... Gotham will miss him.

9. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

:D If it weren't for people like you trying to save this...

10. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I haven't seen The Flash or Arrow yet, but in regards to Gotham? I don't really have a problem with it. Everyone is trying to possess or clean up Gotham - the city - in a way. It's a sandbox where the thinking 'survival of the fittest' applies.

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I don't recall it in Flash, but we're what? Two episodes in. Arrow is mostly Oliver Queen saying "You have failed this city."

Anyway, Gotham is a character in its own right in Batman and the show is called Gotham, so references to the city shouldn't be surprising.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, in both Arrow and Flash, "City" is part of the name of the city, so you can't avoid hearing it. The former has Starling City, or Star City if Ray Palmer gets his way (which he presumably will, since that's its name in the comics), and the latter is in the twin cities of Central City and Keystone City.

And of course, "Gotham" is short for Gotham City.

Oh, and Arrow also has Feli City. ;)

13. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is the problem that we keep hearing THE City? That's gotta be irritating to suburbanites, who need validation that their suburb is as "legitimate" as a city.

14. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm from Wood Dale - when anybody says 'the city' in the Chicago burbs we know what they're talking about.

15. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Before tonight's episode---I hope the Penguin doesn't kill again....he has an average murder rate of like 1.5 people per episode, right?

I'd rather have him build to be a criminal mastermind than a petty murderer.

16. Guy Gardener

Deadmen tell no tales.

17. Joel_Kirk

He does seem to be a type that is murdering people left and right. Something that can get old pretty quick, especially since it makes him a serial killer rather than - as was brought out - a mastermind.

18. Guy Gardener

He's young. Finding his flippers. Let the kid be a kid.

19. Joel_Kirk

lol

20. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Have you ever been to New York. Everyone all the way down to Newark refers to it as "the city." It's how I differentiate between South Jersey and North Jersey. If you hear someone say "the city" and think New York, you're from North Jersey. If you hear someone say "the city" and say "what the hell are you talking about? Which city? Trenton, Philly, New York?" you're from South Jersey.

Since Gotham is a New York substitute anyway, I generally assume they feel the same way.