General Music Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JayOwl, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I was just looking through my video collection and was reminded of another sorta strange group.

Northern Kings is a collection of four male metal vocalists from Finnish groups (Marco Hietala, Tony Kakko, Juha-Pekka Leppäluoto, Jarkko Ahola)

The first two albums were covers of 80's pop tunes done in very different ways.

One example.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKwQKqQ8MMY[/YT]

Apparently Tony couldn't be around at the same time for recording of the video :lol:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  2. T'Preea

T'Preea Commander Red Shirt

I'm not big on Finnish groups as I don't speak Finnish....but I do like Ruoska. One of their songs that I listen to all the time is Pirunkieli. It's got quite the catchy tune. Of course, I lean more towards German bands such as Rammstein, Oomph!, Eisbrecher and In Extremo.

3. Ar-Pharazon

All the albums from Finnish groups I own are done in English, except the odd song or two.

Of the four guys I mentioned above, Jarkko Ahola's band Teräsbetoni does all their music in Finnish.

ETA: Female death grunts?

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KDrqC6NjNQ&feature=related[/YT]

4. Eyes

Eyes Commodore Commodore

For the record, I'm very big on Finnish acts overall because the language is very pleasing to the ear, despite me not speaking a word of it. And even if they are singing in English their singing accent sounds quite.. cute. Depending on the singer of course.

5. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

I've got a rather broad taste in music but its a little bit strangely divided, on one side its Rammstein and then all the way to Ambient, electronic, trance etc with people like Jean Michel Jarre, Brian Eno, Boards of Canada, Delerium.

Besides that I LOVE vintage analog synthesisers, the sound, and power of those are WAY beyond anything what current digital crap can dish out.

6. Ar-Pharazon

I find that certain singers, in trying to prevent an accent, have a very articulated way of pronouncing words while singing.

Tarja Turunen, Klaus Meine, Agnetha & Anni from ABBA. All of them have strong accents while speaking and Klaus' comes through the most while singing, but not strongly.

7. JayOwl

JayOwl Vice Admiral Admiral

I spent the afternoon recording things with my cousin. I surprised myself- my singing does need a lot of work but it didn't turn out too badly. Can't wait to do more. :D

8. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I tend to think that the act of singing powerfully has an equalising effect on voices, and that when a strong regional accent is obvious it is that which is an affectation.

9. Eno

Eno Lieutenant Red Shirt

Here is a lovely piece for drumset written by the great Max Roach. A young student of mine is seen performing it for the first time here. We had spent time going through it and here is his first pass. He is way better now of course. If you listen carefully I can be heard turning pages.
    The drum also waltzes, by Max Roach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9EdmykbuvE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

10. Santaman

11. JayOwl

^Define "real". ;)

I'll try to find time to watch the video when my internet isn't so horribly sluggish and blippy. I love synths.

12. Ar-Pharazon

Fun story about Iron Maiden from classicrockrevisited.com

Gotta love Bruce Bruce.

13. Santaman

"Real" being devices which actually have physical oscilators, filters, ring modulators, noise generators and so on. ;)

Not real being everything that tries (and fails) to emulate "real" analog circuitry.
    If digital synths were any good they'd stop trying to emulate the real stuff and come up with something new.. :klingon:

14. JayOwl

That's pretty cool. It's like the difference between Vinyls and CDs- Vinyls are better quality but CDs are better for everyday use. Wouldn't the digital ones simply be more manageable, even if it's not quite as amazing as the originals?

15. Santaman

Old analogs are a pain in the arse... they have no MIDI, no presets and most have no memory and their oscilators will drift and detune with temperature changes so you'll have to be on your toes, also, if you want to buy a Moog System 55, which is the most desireble vintage modular synthesiser, you will have to dish out a big amount of money, 30.000 Euro's for one thats working and you'll probably have to spend that amount of money again to get it in top notch shape.
    Most of the analogs are also monophonic although there are later era analogs that are polyphonic, the king of those is the Korg PS 3300.

Modulars are not easy to work with, switch on a Moog Modular, press a key and you'll get not the slightest beep, you will first have to patch several modules together with patch cables before you even get a beep.

However, nothing comes close to the sounds of those things, a well maintained analog will trash any digital into the ground, sound wise they rule, analog modulars have no limit in what way you can use them, the ways you can patch them is limitless, they can produce sounds no digital can ever dream of producing.
    In essence you are creating an unique synthesiser with every patch you make, tailored for the sound you want to have.

Another thing is, and now I'm getting mean, anyone without any talents can buy a digital synth, find a preset and make a noise, you've got everything at hand, if not, go online and you'll find a patch for a sound you want, result is that eveything will sound alike, in the late 80's the Yamaha DX7 came out and it was WAY more affordable than anything else, everyone and their grandma used the bloody thing so every house song from that era sounds about the same because in 99.99% of the time they were using that synth.

Luckily since the late 90's people have become bored with digitals and there are a few companies who are building analogs again, now build with far stable components so they'll be less a hassle to tune and keep in tune, also they've got patch memories and so on so you've got the best of both worlds.:mallory:

http://www.jarrography.free.fr/synths/goodies/e310u_equinoxe2.mp3
    ^^ Thats a link to a demo of an Eminent 310U which isn't entirely a synthesiser but an electric organ it was also the first commercially available string synthesiser, feed it through an Electro Harmonix Small Stone Phaser and you get that sound, Jean Michel Jarre used the Eminent throughout all his albums.
    Thats how inventive you had to be in the old days, there were no samplers, you had Mellotrons in those days, that was a device with a looped tape connected to each key which played the sound you recorded.
    OMD used it for the lead sound on Maid Of Orleans, the base sound was a violin.

Enough old guy rambling. ;)

16. JayOwl

Ah, this issue. Digital ones can be used creatively though, even though there is the ability to make it overproduced and samey. For example, someone could get an autotuning device and pump out loads of samey songs... or they could use the autotune at oppertune moments in the song to add a few nice effects here and there. If they're talentless, believe me, it shows.

17. Santaman

Oh, agreed, if used by people who are passionate about music then using a digital synth or a emulator program isn't a bad thing, a lot of dance/trance musicians make great stuff with them, I guess I am waiting for the next Jarre.. ;)

18. JayOwl

Do a bit of searching, you might find them. :D

But yes, it takes a lot to meet the same expectations of someone who's one of your favorite artists.

19. Santaman

I've found a few people here and there who are really good, I could post a few examples if you like. :)

As for Jarre, there won't be a successor, he is the rarest kind of modern era musician, he is not only a great composer but the guy literally knows every synthesiser he ever used by heart also, the collection of synths he has is one of a kind, he owns a few of the rarest synths and even some unique equipment that no one else has. :vulcan:

20. JayOwl

Ah, I see. He might pass it all on to someone though. There is a vast amount of talent out there. Still, he is one of a kind.
    Yes, that'd be great!

In other news, I'm planning to order a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSrMU0R9KoU plus an AT2035 Microphone along with a software package called Ableton Live Intro. The quality you get with those things is really nice, I've tried them. I can finally start recording properly! Just a month or so and I'll have them all. :D
    Once I'm happy with it... I guess I could upload myself singing. Not for another couple of months at least, but I will get it done. Once I've done a few covers I might even try a bit of writing.