Spoilers General Disco Chat Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Lord Garth, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Vger23 and Jesse1066 like this.
  2. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Hopefully eventually. One step at a time. But right now, I have to fix myself some coffee because I just had two tall glasses of frosty I don't know what that was at the bar. Glad I didn't get pulled over.

But go Disco! And go Drunk Disco!

Vger23 likes this.
  3. Tuskin38

Couple shot's of STO's version of the Battle at the Binary Stars

They don't have all the Klingon ships in game yet, which is why there isn't a ton a variety on that side.
    The only Fed ship they're missing is the Hoover Class.

There is even a line in the briefing saying the historical data is 'incomplete' to explain why, heh.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vger23 likes this.
  4. Tuskin38

So the abbreviation for then Shenzhou's Shuttles, or at least the Mirror Shenzhou, is SHNZ. I thought it was SHN, but apparently not. The Z was just hard to see.

[​IMG]

5. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

fireproof78 and MadMan1701A like this.
  6. Galaxy

Galaxy Captain Captain

7. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Section 31

*dies a little inside

8. Galaxy

Galaxy Captain Captain

Ahh, okay. It looks a bit odd, as if some of the black paint is peeled off, but I guess that is just on odd reflection. Pretty bad photography for a PR picture.

9. Lord Garth

How fast time flies by. It's been exactly a year since I came back to regular posting, after not posting much at all for 10 years. It's been great talking (or arguing) with all of you for the past year.

On another note: Bring on Section 31! :devil:

I still think the black badges from the beginning of S1 imply some sort of a connection there. I bet we retroactively find out that Lorca was working in conjunction with them. I'd bet latinum on it. ;)

Jinn likes this.
  10. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

What if Lorca was S31 Prime Lorca pretending he was Mirror Lorca all along? ;)

Lord Garth and DaveyNY like this.
  11. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

My mind has officially been blown.

12. Lord Garth

13. Lord Garth

I dug out my bomb-shelter for when topics about the inside of the Enterprise come out, after we see it in S2.

The sucky thing is I'm going to get sick of living off of canned goods after a while. Or not seeing the surface of the planet. But it'll be good. I'll be safe-and-sound. I won't have a green glow or suddenly grow another pair of arms or antenna.

14. Tuskin38

I don’t think we’re going see much of the inside of the Enterprise, just a corridor and spock’s quarters. Maybe the transporter room.

15. Lord Garth

Either way, my plan is to batton down the hatches. I'm going to let them spend their energy and get it out of their system. Until it's at a more normal level. And that's a case of "I'll know it when I see it."

16. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    I'm just gonna ride out the storm in my little dingy.
    (its kinda-sorta shaped like a shuttlecraft)
    I've got two bottles of Red DEW and have tied a couple of short lengths of rope from the handles of my oars to my keyboard.
    My sail has the motto "KNOW YER WRONG" printed on it.
    I'm ready.
    :biggrin:

Lord Garth likes this.
  17. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I proposed somewhere that Mirror Lorca's identity was uncovered by S31 at some point early in the War, and they are the ones who in fact gave him command of the Discovery (by manipulating the system) in return for him taking down the Klingon Empire and investigating multiversal travel.

MirLorca was never an official agent of S31, just as much of a prisoner as Burnham or Georgiou (those guards weren't in his employ). Section 31 wants the ability to travel to alternate universes, because that, outside of time travel, is the next evolutionary leap in technology.

MirLorca worked with them (or for them) to further his goals, but shrugged them off (probably through an airlock) at the earliest opportunity. Now that he's dead and vaporized, Section 31 is going back to the drawing board and using Mirror Georgiou as his replacement.

Lord Garth likes this.
  18. Lord Garth

For the first time in 28 years, I find the "TOS Is the Best!" Mantra insufferable. Even if I'm inclined to agree with it, it's being used as a weapon against the current series... a tactic of which I don't agree with. Not that this is a recent thing. This has always been the case. I just notice it more as a huge fan of DSC.

From my perspective, it's like, "So this is what it's like from the opposite end!" It's an eye-opener. The issue I have isn't with TOS itself but the way it's being used in arguments. This can be expanded to TNG as well.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Cyrus likes this.
  19. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I totally agree.

While I firmly agree with the "TOS is TEH BESTEST" sentiment...I don't think it's fair to continue to use that as a measuring stick by which to measure (or beat senseless) the other incarnations of Star Trek. That was 52 years ago...and so much has changed. Coming first also has it's own level of advantage.

In fairness, though, I think the Berman Era, partucularly the combined juggernaut of TNG/DS9 is used as just a big of a weapon.

It gets old, and it's unfair.

It's weird for me personally, because my favorite incarnations of Trek are the oldest and the newest...with the middle stuff somewhere...well...in the middle.

Grendelsbayne and Lord Garth like this.
  20. Lord Garth

The main points are: why must every series take the same approach and what's fundamentally wrong with building on top of what came before? The resistance I see is the resistance against change into something else: whether in scale, story-telling approach, aesthetic approach, or as an overall production in general. If the resistance isn't against change in and of itself, then it's a resistance against specific changes. Thus the fall-back to the old, comfortable "TOS is the best!" or "TNG/DS9 is the best!"

TNG makes good TNG but it made horrible TOS. TNG got stale during VOY. ENT felt stale as TOS/TNG/VOY (even the lower tech didn't off-set this) and I acknowledge it's recognized as having gotten better once it was shaken up. Point being the TOS/TNG approach got stale a long time ago, even before the Berman Era had ended. So for DSC to have taken that approach would've been a huge mistake.