General Computer Thread

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Amaris, May 26, 2016.

1. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Out of curiosity, has anyone tried the new Mac OS (Mojave)? I've read some positive reviews but haven't looked into it much yet.

2. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

I really have no clue about anything Apple.. so I guess either don't try it on your machine if you're not sure or when you feel adventerous try it and see if your machine works with it.

Slowly pondering about replacing my main machine, again it has to be AMD, cheap and low power so I am researching the Athlon 200GE which is certainly faster than my AM1 Athlon 5350, it does use 10 watts more, 25 vs 35 watts but it is only 60 euros and that will make me able to buy enough RAM and a decent mainboard, the rest of the machine doesn't need replacing.

3. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I've had no issues at all, upgrade went smooth on my 2015 27" 5K iMac and all my other MacBooks. I like a lot of the little changes, they make things better.

4. Unicron

I had a weird problem this morning.... :p I've used an optical mouse on several laptops because I prefer a traditional model over the track pad. When I booted up this morning I initially seemed unable to select anything with the mouse, which was odd. Turns out that the left hand button has apparently stopped working somehow, but the scroll wheel and right button seem to be fine. I'm open to suggestions if this can be fixed, cause that would be preferable to buying a new one.

ETA: Got a temporary fix by switching to the right button as the main input instead of the left. I've seen mention of this issue in regards to Windows updates on other computers, but obviously that wouldn't be a problem on a Mac. I haven't updated anything recently that would cause a similar issue, and I've never had any other problems with this mouse before. I used it yesterday without a worry.

5. Santaman

Could be the mouse button has broken down, it is a moving part so it can break down.

6. Unicron

I'm leaning more in that direction. I've used it for a couple of years without incident, and all of the evidence suggests it's a mechanical issue with the left button in some way. I tested it on the other laptop and had the same issue there: left doesn't function but right and scroll wheel do, and I could configure the right as the main. There's no evidence that the batteries are causing any issues, as the current batteries are in good shape and they last a long while. Someone suggested replacing them, but I'm not convinced that would be effective atm.

It's a Logitech M525 wireless optical mouse, and another thought that crossed my mind is trying to clean it. But I've never done that and not sure if it's worth a try.

7. Santaman

It is dead now so a cleaning attempt can't hurt it more, clean the thing with alcohol, let it dry and see what it does then, if it is fixed then tadaa!

Amaris likes this.
  8. Unicron

I'll have to look into it. Thanks. :)

9. Santaman

Do unplug it first btw.. :biggrin::p;)

10. Unicron

11. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, darn OS upgrades! ;) I particularly loved it when Win 3.1 would go and crosslink files, back when parts of the OS weren't protected like they are now. Oy, that was a pain to sort out. Registry would also often get corrupted more easily than it does now.

12. Santaman

Windows 95.. yeah.. should run with 4Mb RAM.. LYING BASTARDS!!! :klingon:

13. Kataaran

Kataaran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Do you use any non-retina monitors with it? I've heard from someone that there are font issues on lower res screens. Personally I've tended to wait for a few point bugfixes before jumping on an upgrade but my work MBP is having issues with not allowing an external monitor to be rotated, I'm wondering if an OS upgrade might be the kick in the pants it needs.

14. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Thanks everyone. I've been told to reinstall Win7 with an OEM configuration, that should do the job, pick up all the drivers.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

My Chrome Book Must Die.

I suggested to my son to replace the OS with Ubuntu, he otherwise suggested Elementary with is similar, also linux, but better. Then all I need to do is buy a large SD card and I have a lap top, not a chromebook.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  16. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

No, it’s a Retina display. I often find that if you are having issues, it’s better to do a clean install then an upgrade. Yes that’s a lot more work but if you have an older machine, it stops the carryovers of garbage.

17. Unicron

Picked up a new M525 mouse today, and hope to get a similar number of years out of it. :D Logitech tends to make good mice in my experience.

18. Santaman

Do try and fix the old one, never hurts to have a backup. :shifty:

19. Kataaran

Kataaran Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ideally I would do a clean install but finding the time for that is tricky. Sad thing is it's actually a fairly new machine, it was bought at the beginning of the year. Sadly, it seems macs ain't as solid as they used to be. :confused:

20. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

not with the Mac Books no :)