General Computer Thread

PATA or Parallel ATA drives are obsolete, hard to find and indeed expensive, they're probably no longer made or just in very small quantities.

Yep, some old PATA or even MFM drives are very much in demand since they're used as replacements in industrial equipment, better pay a few hundreth bucks than half a million to replace the entire machine.

Has anyone had Windows 10 issues after the latest cumulative update?

I use Powerdvd for my movies and bluray watching and it just spat out

"application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware"

I have the latest drivers for my card and did both and SFC scan and DISM cleanup

movies do play but they seem to play / go black / play / go black then continue to play as normal. That never happened prior the latest update.

Once in a while the application blocked error pops up.

Sounds like some incompatibility issue but what else is new.. Its $pyware 10 you're talking about.. wouldn't surprise me that at some stage it will be incompaitble with itself.. :p;)

Sounds like some incompatibility issue but what else is new.. Its $pyware 10 you're talking about.. wouldn't surprise me that at some stage it will be incompaitble with itself.. :p;)

I thought a driver conflict but then checked and I have the latest driver already installed. "shrug" as you say it's Spycrosoft 10

How old is your version of PowerDVD? if it's too old than that might be the problem.

Version 17

However I think I found the problem. There's an option in powerdvd to and I quote "hardware acceleration where possible" it's a little checkbox in settings.

I turned that off and now there' s no issue. It works properly with no fussing around.

Linux Mint 19 has been released, based on Ubuntu 18.4 LTS it will be supported until 2023.

Haven't had the time to install it yet, I'm going to use one of my older machines to test it, if it works well on there then I'll install it on more machines, there's no need to hurry, 18.x will be supported until 2021.

I have been experimenting... Seems my dvd problem wasn't a problem. It seems to happen only with one particular disk. Also only if the acceleration option is active with powerdvd. Yet any other disk plays fine.

Also that problem disk works fine in other programs like VLC player.

Harvesting old homemade dvds.

It's going to take me months to figure out what information is recoverable and what is lost.

I will have undoubtedly have lost 30 to 50 percent of my 10 thousand dvds, that I burnt between 2007 and 2011, onto shitty bargain brand cheapo DVDs on dodgy old towers that should have been put on the heap.

And I don't have enough hard drive space to put all the recoverable data anywhere safer... And the hundred or so slip cases are taking up a metric ###-ton of space in my bed room.

You Rang M'Lord, Young Justice Season 2 and Young Indiana Jones Chronicle are the most recently declared lost and dead from my media library.

I've been Schrodinger's Catting it for years.

If I don't know that some of my disks have expired, then they are quantumly undetermined as both broken and not broken simultaneously.

I don't have to replace anything I haven't confirmed is missing.

My 5 year old Desktop looks like it might be on it's last days.

I am thinking of gettng one of those desktops that have a motherboard attached behind the monitor.

My 5 year old Desktop looks like it might be on it's last days.

I am thinking of gettng one of those desktops that have a motherboard attached behind the monitor.

Do you mean an all in one PC?

Check to make sure how much ram and storage space you have on that and if it won't be too underpowered to run the stuff you have now. A lot of those don't offer much in the way of future upgradability.

Do you mean an all in one PC?

Check to make sure how much ram and storage space you have on that and if it won't be too underpowered to run the stuff you have now. A lot of those don't offer much in the way of future upgradability.
Thanks. I will heed your advice.

Last edited:
Back