General Computer Thread

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Amaris, May 26, 2016.

1. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

yeah you choose the categories of the stuff you don't what it remove.

Unless you've foolishly stored stuff in directory allocated by windows for temp files it disk cleanup generally doesn't go near use data nor does it uninstall applications.

Random_Spock likes this.
  2. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

I see. I just did that clean up, and now am defragmenting my C drive. Turned out there was one percent fragmentation in it. Betting it was the error that showed up earlier.

taskhostw (3640) WebCacheLocal: The shadow header page of file C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\V01.chk was damaged. The primary header page (4096 bytes) was used instead.

ESENT 472

Hoping that defragmenting the drive helps to fix it.

3. Marc

fragmentation is not error nor is it a major problem - it's more in the real of ineffcient storage and it's arguable whether with the performance of modern hard disks it makes much difference.

you need to run an integrity test on the hard disk.

open a command prompt and enter the command chkdsk c: /r which were perform a check for errors on the drive and attempt to repair them (no guarantee it can). It will throw up a prompt that it can't lock the drive and do you want to check next time the computer restarts. Hit Y, return to windows and then reboot.

I would also suggest you download a copy of Crystal Disk Info which will read the S.M.A.R.T info from your hard disk and give a report on the drive health. If you've got a high numbers for reallocated sector counts or seek error rates then look to replacing the drive (with red dot for one of my drives it's yellow but that drive also has 23295 power on hours).

4. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

OK just got a Gammaxx 300 cooler for my CPU. Now the fun starts to install that sucker.

5. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

The defragmentation helped. It's running smoother.

As for replacing, that's a no can do. I just got it replaced last year. My old drive was a 750 gb one and I would have preferred to have had it replaced with one like it, but they gave me a smaller one. Wasn't too thrilled over it. Turned out that the older one was defective (the drive that came with my laptop originally).

Also, been keeping an eye on it and the only thing I've noticed is that the Virtual ram seems to run high at times. The drive seems to be ok. Ran a sfc /scannow on it yesterday and that came up clean.

Ok I found a similar program for the type of drive I have, Western Digital Data Lifeguard and ran the quick scan on it. It came up clean (it passed). Nothing unusual showed up number wise in terms of the S.M.A.R.T info.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  6. Marc

They are to different things.

Virtual ram usage means the system is swapping (also known as paging) which is a normal part of Windows and simply means you could be a tad tight for available RAM.

an SFC scan is only to check the integrity of a specific folder used by Windows and unless you've having problems with adding components or updating windows is utterly irrelevant to your situation.

7. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Finally had time to build a retro machine, this time a real old Socket A Athlon, no idea what type yet.. Asus board with a Via chipset, no idea how much RAM, looks to be 512Mb-1Gb DDR-400, Nvidia 6800 AGP no idea if it works, Soundblaster Audigy II soundcard, 250Gb PATA drive, this one is iffy, its one of my old drives and despite passing all tests this thing has been a real bitch to work with, its a Seagate but marketed as a Maxtor drive, it never wanted to work when paired on the same controller with a second harddrive/CD drive, its now on its own though, no other drives on the primary controller, DVD drive and a CD-writer, both PATA so quite old, I've rediscovered a rather nice powersuply once used for a Pentium 4 and another Sempron machine and its all fitted inside a marvelous beige tank like Chieftec casing.
    Probably will run Win2K on it.. :mallory:

8. Marc

It's a maxtor drive - no wonder it doesn't want to work :)

Think the audiogy II might still hold it's own today - People have gotten use the realtek crap that's generally the sound support on modern motherboards.

9. Santaman

Its a Seagate, I have 6-7 real Maxtor drives, several 80 Gb, a 160Gb and a 250gb one and they're working fine, the Seagatestor is the one which gave me problems, bought the other real 250Gb Maxtor back in the day as a second drive just to have extra storage but they did NOT work together at all so I used the secone one alone until I started to get mainboards with SATA connectors and bought SATA drives, those never gave me any problems.

As for reliability, I've worked for a large beige box supplier a while, all brands back then had good series and bad series, except Samsung, this was when they started to make the mighty Spinpoint drives, never ever a dud, none ever came back later on, magnificent drives, they were just as good as the Fujitsu and Seagate server disks, SCSI 10K and 15k RPM, installed thousands of these and in the time I worked there I only saw one dud, this one did not stabilize RPM but kept spinning up, I think we've got it up to at least 20.000RPM before something went horribly wrong inside, we suspect the glass platters must have shattered.. can't remember if it was a Seagate or Fujitsu.
    Fujitsu also had consumer drives for a while.. utterly indestructible, extremely quiet and sloooooooow.. really really sloooooow.

10. Marc

Do you remember the infamous IBM 20GB Deskstars that got nicked named "deathstars"?

It got so bad with them in Australia that they started looking for ways to not have to cover the warranty. Given they were PATA drives people had a tendancy to crack the plastic surround on the interface when removing the cable. Well that was enough to get your warranty voided on the grounds of customer inflicted damage.

11. Santaman

Yep.. we had a 30Gb model of that series, it was a strange drive, even when just sitting idle it would make the strangest noises, eventually it did fail, within warranty, we got a new (refurb) one back which did exactly the same, even when connected only to the powersuply and not to an actual computer it would make the strangest noises, to be fair that refurb lasted almost a decade before fizzling out.

I still have a 4.3 Gb IBM drive and that one is awesome, quite fast for the day, silent and reliable.

12. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

That doesn't apply to Windows 10, though, which is supposed to keep evolving significantly over time. The updates pushed out for 10 are much more ambitious (and thus potentially disruptive) than any of the service packs MS ever rolled out for their previous OSes.

13. Santaman

^^ The "update from Win 8.0 to 8.1 was every bit as ambitious since it was a total OS replcament without messing up drivers and user settings and it worked out well because they actualy spent time on it...

M$ nowadays only seem to be able to dish out a broken alpha version which will hopefully be patched up sufficiently to call it a working beta before the whole shit starts over again, they're planning to accelerate pushing out new broken versions as well, very nice when yer a sys admin.. so yay for that win 10 evolving... :lol::p

I used to like Windows, it did what it had to do and it ran stable as long you maintained it properly, now its just a piece of crap running to support M$ spyware/malware. :rolleyes:

14. Marc

and yet my mother (HP All In One), mother in law (two HP laptops one and AMD Athlon X3 iirc the other with an i5) and my wife (Acer laptop with an AMD A6) don't have issues. Mother & Mother-in-law both running Build 1607 (at the least) the wife running Creator update without any problems.

All were upgrades from Windows 8.x

I have to systems (and i5 at home and i3 at the in-laws) which get the fast insider builds and for 95% of the builds I haven't run into any major issues.

15. Santaman

Count yourself lucky then.

16. Marc

yeah hell have no fury like a mother (who tends to loathe computers)/mother-in-law/wife when their computer is to working :) At least I have distance from two of them, the wife's desk is right next to mine :)

17. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Most people aren't lucky, it's just the few who experience issues are unlucky.

If you consider the size of the install base, that terrible issues aren't rampant is something of a miracle.

It's a small comfort to the people so impacted, of course. And I wouldn't want to have to support it. ;)

18. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I like Windows 10. It was great at the start, then things were a bit rocky for a while as I hesitated with further installations due to privacy issues, but thankfully it's not as bad an issue as it once was, and I've tightened things considerably on my end for better privacy. Windows 10 is solid, stable and, now that I have Windows 10 Pro, it feels more secure. BitLocker is awesome.

19. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

A new heatsink can make a world of difference, or so it would seem.

I just changed my heatsink out and it's not dirty or clogged with dust but the fan is on its way out. So it was the perfect time for a change. Anyway I installed the new one. This one the Deep Cool Gammax 300.

deepcool.jpg

My old cooler was a traditional horizontal cooler with the fan on top. As an example when playing a couple of hours of ME Andromeda the CPU temps hit around 47 degrees.... Even when the fan was running well the temps were much around the same mark. But change was needed.

Put the new cooler in today and did the same thing, played for a couple of hours on the same mission I hadn't finished before and the temps were hitting 27 degrees..... That's a huge change.

Of course my test is neither proper or valid but anecdotal but it would seem the change has been beneficial.

20. Bagofmostlywatr

Bagofmostlywatr Commander Red Shirt

No I have blocked out all recollection of ever having two on a striped RAID array :brickwall: