Gene Roddenberry, deep down

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by TrickyDickie, Apr 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Heresy!!!!

;)

2. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

'Tis no reflection upon her, to be sure. (And I have always loved that song). :techman:

Greg Cox likes this.
  3. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

Beethoven had his clunkers, but let's be clear, we're not talking religious scripture here, unless you're a non believer..

4. fireproof78

Nope, just a man, whom had his ups and downs, and each person has to square with them, and how they impact their view of him.

BillJ likes this.
  5. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not saying he wasn't, but to what degree? He could have written books and given interviews about Gene the Hollywood wheeler-dealer, but he chose to emphasize Gene the artist fighting for his pure vision, and spun out a lot of smoke, half-truth and BS in support. Which is interesting in its own way, but only if you have the full context.

Like anyone else's life, nobody gets to choose how they are judged. You put what you put out into the world and people make up their own minds.

Harvey likes this.
  6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh wow, what? I mean, yes, I like Omega Glory, but if we're putting that up on a pedestal as "quintessential Star Trek" then just wow. Words truly fail me. The episode literally is the embodiment of American Imperialism in that it is because the world is "corrected" when its people embrace American values and begin saluting the Stars and Stripes. That's literally what happens in the episode! If this is quintessential Star Trek than everyone who has called me lazy for comparing Starfleet and the Federation to the US and its military owe me an apology, ASAP.
    You mean like Roddenberry was?

J.T.B. likes this.
  7. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

It's an American show. And no.

8. The Wormhole

What do you mean "no?" Roddenberry was an atheist. This is confirmed fact. I have a quote from the Man in which he accuses God of being a pervert who watches him masturbate.

BillJ likes this.
  9. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

He was a Humanist who questioned everything. The rest just sounds funny.

10. The Wormhole

Whichever label he used, he still didn't believe in a deity, which makes him a "non believer" as you put it.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

He was a self-avowed atheist. I despise rewriting history.

Galileo7 and 1001001 like this.
  12. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

He believed in some form of God or Supreme Being as evidenced by 'The God Thing' and 'In Thy Image' to some extent.

13. The Wormhole

No, he did not. TNG Who Watches the Watchers is the thesis of his religious beliefs, which is to say, he had none and considered religions superstitious nonsense that held civilizations back.

And he never made an effort to hide his disdain of religion. He walked out of Jonathan Frakes's wedding for being "too religious." Which seems a bit of a dick move, the wedding was in a church so of course it's going to be religious. So he goes to a church, sits through half the ceremony and then gets up and makes a scene about he can't stand religion and walks out. Dude, you didn't have to go if it offended you so much.

14. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

Religious superstitious nonsense is one thing, God is another. There was a church on board the Enterprise.

15. fireproof78

He really didn't, not that it much matters in the context of this thread, unless some sort of theism test is being applied as well.

And, I say that as a theist.

16. TrickyDickie

TrickyDickie Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope. It was a chapel. ;););)

17. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, there was a Chapel, yet Roddenberry was still unfaithful.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I doubt Roddenberry did though.
    As noted we (Trek fans) talk about it because of it's negative qualities. The rest of the world is blissfully unaware.

19. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't Coon also keeping track of the various Fleet emblems that we saw on different starships? It is obvious the man cared about this cohesive universe.

We really ought to throw David Gerrold into the mix, although his contribution was primarily in the TNG era.

Still, it seems clear that Roddenberry had a great idea and the foresight to hire/surround himself initially with the brains/muscles that could carry out said idea. This simply cannot be said in regards to Lost in Space, Space 1999, etc... We might love those other franchises too, but they are not the same magnitude as Star Trek.

Again, it goes back to the sports analogy. A great coach or owner can hire the best players and win a championship or championships. Sports dynastys exist for a reason. Roddenberry was this coach or owner.

Otherwise we would not be discussing him nor Star Trek like we do. I mean, how many of us are on a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea or U. F. O. discussion board?

20. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

I remember him saying he believed in God, but his God wasn't your God.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.