Spoilers Game of Thrones: The Final Season

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Noname Given

Noname Given Admiral Admiral

That's why Jon went to speak to he, to gauge her mental state. He didn't go with the express idea of just killing her; he was going to access for himself before acting - and after seeing her speech and speaking to her directly, he felt she was heading down the same path as the previous 'mad' Targaryen. If he tried to curb her, he risked ending up on the executioner's block for treason. Plus Daenarys was already shaken as she knew he had the better claim to the Iron Throne via his linage; so she might be quick to pull the trigger on him even if he said nothing.

They no longer have a Dragon behind them and killing Jon woukld enrage Sansa and the otghers in the North, plus their allies.

No disagreement here. In fact I thought Bran was more an 'eternal spiritual being' like the one he replaced, until they brought him back for the whole "Night King" fight.

^^^
    That's true of any sprawling series (Book or TV) with a s**tload of characters. ;)

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I think I'm done second-guessing the storytellers in this instance. I've suffered through enough bad finales and I think the reaction to this one is just a little on the overblown side. Certainly not a great episode of Game of Thrones, but I was pretty satisfied with where everyone's arc ended up. I certainly sure as hell didn't see Bran as king coming, and I totally love the fact that I didn't. That right up to the last scene of the show, the show was still able to surprise me. I just wish they had told the story with a bare minimum of two more episodes to flesh it out a little better and more properly earn some of the dramatic beats.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  3. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Surprise is easy. Just have some random nonsense happen. And that's what they did. But that's not good storytelling, in good storytelling events progress logically, and this is not what happened here.

Agony_Boothb likes this.
  4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

If you say so.

5. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Remember back to the scene where Tywin asked Tommen what one things makes a good king. Tommen first says ‘holiness’ and Tywin answers with the example of Baelor and why holiness stopped him being a good king. Tommen that answers ‘justice’ and Tywin gives the example of Orys a just king who only reigned for a short time because he failed to see the danger and was murdered by his brother. Then Tommen says ‘strength’ and Tywin mentions Robert as someone who was not a good king.

Lastly Tommen mentions ‘wisdom’ and Tywin agrees telling him that a wise king listens to his counsellors. Bran has access to more knowledge than anyone else in the kingdom and the ability to use it wisely. He has selected a good small council who he will listen to and trust. I think Bran will be a good king.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    Turtletrekker and The Nth Doctor like this.
  6. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I give Bran a year before the Prince of Dorne assassinates him.

7. Miss Chicken

I doubt it. Dorne will be allowed to retain their special, semi-autonomous status. They managed to be a principality all through Targaryen and Baratheon rule.

Also we have no idea which Dornish house the new Prince of Dorne belongs to. A Martell? A Dayne? Sone other house? Maybe he needs to consolidate his own position in Dorne before taking anyone else in Westeros on.

8. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm listening to the soundtrack on Amazon Music right now. Just amazing music. A Song of Ice and Fire is the name of the piece that plays at the end of the finale. The choir part is cool.

Here's another version of the GoT theme:

Rock on.

Turtletrekker, 137th Gebirg and Cyrus like this.
  9. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Vice Admiral Premium Member

That was freakin awesome!

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Maybe he's Manfrey Martell, Doran's cousin and castellan in the books.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Quick thought on Arya not using her face swapping ability. Am I right in thinking that the last time she used this was to kill Walder Frey? I wonder if there's an element of her not wanting to use the ability anymore because she has left that side of herself behind? I mean ever since she returned to Winterfell she did seem a trifle more human than she had been in recent times. She did effectively escape a cult and I wonder if there was a desire on her part to leave that part of her life and training behind? I wonder if there's an emotional cost to using the ability as well, a fear of losing a sense of self. I might be talking bollocks here but I think it's an interesting angle.

12. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She probably just kinda forgot.

13. Serveaux

Serveaux The Wind Premium Member

14. SiddFinch1

SiddFinch1 Captain Captain

I wish they had spread.things out to 10 episodes last year and this year.
    Things felt far too rushed.
    If you read.the.books.Dany showed.more.symptoms of.trouble.early on. I expect if.Martin ever.does finish the books.they will be a different road.to King Bran. An d Bronn as master.of.coin? Why would.anyone.trust him at all

15. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Starkers likes this.
  16. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

So maybe we can expect the book in 2021 or 2022 after it goes through rigorous editing.

17. The Nth Doctor

The final episode of Game of Jones and Leslie Jones has some choice words to say about Brienne writing Jaime's entry in the White Book (as well as people complaining about the ending):

Charles Phipps and flavaflav like this.
  18. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

Goodbye Game of Thrones. It was fantastic while it lasted, best TV series ever. I will miss it greatly. And now my watch has ended, until I decide to rewatch the whole series which should be soon.

Mr Awe, Masiral, Miss Chicken and 2 others like this.
  19. Miss Chicken

My son and I had the same thought as Lesley Jones did about how the Dothraki at the back heard the speech.

Me pretending to be a Dothraki ‘What did she say?’
    My son answering ‘I think she said ‘Blessed are the cheesemakers’

My son and I are always dropping Monty Python quotes in Game of Thrones.

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  20. The Nth Doctor

That's probably the best way to view anything, but especially Game of Thrones. :lol: