Spoilers Game of Thrones: The Final Season

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Nth Doctor, Nov 1, 2018.

1. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

it's never too late to repent. I hope you remember that.

2. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, it was too late to avoid to be hanged regardless! Or are you saying that you're sorry that you were so rude to me?

3. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't believe I was rude to you, only accurate, but if you feel I was, I am not sorry.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey, look, a report button.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  5. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Hated the finale.

I guess D&D were big Sin City fans. As Daenarys dies the same way the woman in the red dress (The Customer's Always Right) and Ava Lord (A Dame To Kill For) do. Stabbed/shot in the heart while kissing a man. That's how they decided to end 9 years of a main character's journey? Talk about going out with a whimper.

Jon knows that Targaryen's suffer when they're alone. D&D didn't write Jon trying to make any effort to curb Dany's worst impulses or reign her in.

Why the savage Dothraki and the fiercely loyal Unsullied didn't immediately taken Jon's head and instead kept him prisoner is beyond reason.

Bran becoming king, is like Arya killing the Night King. Out of left field and with no build-up or foreshadowing.

So many things left unresolved and characters we never got to see in the end. I don't feel much like talking about GoT anymore. It's behind me.

I bid you adieu.
    "And now my watch has ended".

6. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to give props to fellow Persian Ramin Djawadi for always delivering fantastic music for the series. The final episode was no exception. I especially liked the music in the last scene with Jon and the wildlings which was the main GoT Theme with choir vocalizing. The piano music that he used for Cersei's coup and the Night King going after Bran were great too.

This is an interview with him (he has an upcoming GoT concert tour):
    https://variety.com/2019/music/news...n-djawadi-final-season-score-tour-1203223049/

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  7. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

I expect Jon could have gotten away with killing Daenerys if it weren't for his rigid honour code. My extrapolation is that he surrendered himself to Ser Davos, who used his diplomacy to keep Grey Worm and the Unsullied from taking retribution until justice could be meted out by Jon's peers.

Not sure of their cultural norms but my guess is that the Dothraki only give their loyalty to a living leader. In a way, they should see Jon as their leader as effectively he usurped a weaker leader.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  8. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I wonder what the fun loving Dothraki are getting up to in Westeros.

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

The only quibble I have with the finale was how come Dany didn't have any kind of bodyguard with her? Drogon doesn't really count because it's not like he was with her.

To all the people complaining about the ending and petitioning for it to be remade (seriously I don't know what the mind-set of some people is) I'd like to point out that I've had two series cancelled out from under me in the last few weeks, neither of which got beyond 3 seasons (Santa Clarita Diet and Humans) so people should be grateful the show got to end on its own terms, even if you're not overly happy with the specifics. So few shows get to do that.

It is kinda ironic that a show whose major selling point to a lot of fans was not doing what was expected is now being castigated by some of those very same fans for not doing what was expected :lol:

Mr Awe and The Nth Doctor like this.
  10. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I assumed they got a lift back to Esso with the Unsullied on their way to Naath

11. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

With winter having arrived and their queen probably having burnt down the local food storage, they might well have to eat their horses. They won't get far in a South America sized continent in winter without fodder.

Like the Lord of the Rings movies, you never see much agriculture going on in GoT. In reality, most peasants in medieval time worked the land. If King's Landing had a population of 1 million, it should have had a substantial agricultural hinterland. As in ancient Rome, the streets should have been thronged with goods-laden carts at all hours of the day and night. I don't think we saw large market places either. Also, where was the water supply coming from? No aquaducts in sight, AFAICT.

12. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

I think when she was younger and naïve at the beginning of the show, all she wanted was just to return home. But she eventually realized she could never do that without being killed as soon as she set foot on Westeros. So she knew the only way to return home was with force.

And then the mother of dragons, and breaker of chains things happened.....

Daenery's logic toward the Tarlys was that she didn't believe in putting people back in chains (slavery), so she'd rather execute someone rather than take them prisoner. There's a certain logic to it, but in the end it does become pathological.

It reminds me of a real life 17th century example of a rich noble who couldn't resist giving money to beggars. But if he didn't have money on him to give, he would kill the beggars on the spot because he couldn't say no to them. Crazy.

But she did at least give them a choice, renounce Cersei and just go home. In contrast to how Tywin and Stannis treated their prisoners.

Apparently something happened between then and The Bells, because now she doesn't believe in giving anyone choices.

I can't believe they're not going to do the prequel based on the Mad King era and instead are doing one based on the origins of the Wight Walkers from a thousand years back. I think the Mad King thing would be much more interesting.

Had enough of Wight Walkers to last a good while.

13. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait what?
    Ramsey Bolton was a bay guy and I was not meant to be rooting for him?

Next you will tell me that Joffrey was a bad guy too.

14. Longinus

No one are questioning whether those were bad guys. And no one questioned whether killing them was right, nor should they. Except Tyrion with this silly logic that killing bad guys should be a hint that a person is gonna kill innocents next.

15. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Works out that way often enough.

16. Longinus

It would be a better indicator in a setting where pretty much all of the characters wouldn't have gallons of blood on their hands and which wouldn't open with an execution committed by a person who everyone universally considers to be a good and honourable man. In a setting where executing traitors is a normal practice a character doing so cannot be a sign that they're particularly morally corrupt or unhinged, and it is even more bizarre if characters in the setting consider it to be such.

17. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

That's enough with the insults like this. Back off and cool off, then cease with the name calling

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

"Arya, I just died in your arms tonight."

am

19. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

You know, I enjoyed the last season. I did. But I wonder if it couldn't have been a bit better with a few tweaks. For example, in the Bells, we make two small changes:

Arya doesn't leave the Keep but does separate from the Hound, and Brienne follows Jaime from Winterfell. Jaime finds Cersei as does Qyburn upstairs and they start heading down. The Hound finds Cersei. The Mountain runs off to kill the Hound, leaving Qyburn, Jaime and Cersei. Qyburn whirls on Cersei, revealed to be Arya who has stolen his face and attacks Cersei, Jaime comes to her defense. Brienne shows up, and has to make a choice: Defend the guy to whom she just gave her virginity, or Arya whom she has sworn to protect. Finally, duty wins over love, and she joins the attack on Jaime. This gives cover to Arya, who manages to get around Jaime and kill Cersei. Jaime, seeing his love die, lunges for Arya where Brienne delivers the mortal blow.

Would this not have been a more satisfying end for all concerned, and bring a more satisfying close to certain plot points? Face stealing would have been involved, Arya would have killed green eyes, there would have been real consequence to Brienne sleeping with Jaime.

Thoughts?

20. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

That's almost as good as the "Seven Nation Army" parody someone posted earlier in the thread. :D

Turtletrekker likes this.