Funerals....a load of bollocks???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ED-209, Aug 13, 2021.

1. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

My boss’s son was that way. He stayed in the gym. Poor thing never saw 30!

2. nedski

nedski Commander Red Shirt

Like we're enjoying talking about funerals and the dead in here :)
    Exploring the "what happens once you reached the <<other side>>" :)

StarCruiser likes this.
  3. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

My thoughts on that change constantly. I have no firm beliefs.

StarCruiser, 1001001 and nedski like this.
  4. nedski

nedski Commander Red Shirt

I believe that our souls are just pure energy and will disappear after we'll pass.

StarCruiser and Commander Troi like this.
  5. Malicia

Malicia Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Emanations is one of my favourite thought provoking Voyager episodes.

StarCruiser likes this.
  6. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I had an acquaintance who tended to...er...get around a lot...I hadn't heard much from him after several months, so I dropped him a message online, and he said he'd decided to become an "orthodox Christian", which...fine, though I admit it made me a little uneasy.

But then he said something like, "Well, at least I'll get into heaven when I die," and there was totally the implication of, "unlike you", and I wound the conversation down fairly quickly after that.

7. oldtrekkie

oldtrekkie Captain Red Shirt

Well, he was following the eleventh commandment: "Thou shall not pass up an opportunity to be a wise ass.":lol:

SolarisOne and Commander Troi like this.
  8. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Hi all,

We’re starting to veer a little off-topic with the thread again: from the funeral industry, to the possible afterlife, to now getting into members’ personal religious identification. The thing is, we have a kind of long-running thread that specifically covers that last one. (To be fair, the last update in that thread is just a titch past a year, but if the new discussion is substantive, I’m willing to turn a blind eye in this particular case.)

As such, I’m going to move the posts that would fit there into the other thread. This is a somewhat subjective call, so if anyone has any concerns about what was/wasn’t moved, please feel free to reach out via PM and we can discuss further.

Moving forward, if we could please try to keep to the funeral topic for this thread, it would be appreciated. Thank you!

ETA: The other thread is here: What religion/faith are you?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    Commander Troi likes this.
  9. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fair enough.

10. oldtrekkie

Well, religions take a large part in how funerals are conducted, so maybe it's not this easy to separate the two issues.

11. Commander Troi

I remembered last night that I went to a funeral for a friend's mother right before The Plague. They are definitely for the living. It's the only concession to grieving in our culture, but even the modern world recognizes that we need to grieve and it's better if we can do so with others.

You can see in my signature line that I have a friend dying right now, so I'm thinking about this more than usual. I don't know what kind of funeral or wake or whatever will occur, and I don't know some of his friends, but I hope at least a few of us will be able to get together.

12. Non Sync

Non Sync Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hiding from the NARA, I've said too much...
    Depending on how he's feeling and his location, have a gathering of his friends with him present. While funerals are primarily for the living, I often think that a true celebration of someone's life should happen with them participating. My aunt actively planned her funeral which my brother said that was the most fun he had at a funeral. I thought she should have had it while still with us so she could enjoy it as well.

13. Commander Troi

A lovely idea, but he's in a small hospital room.

One of his friends read him all the comments on Facebook, which was sweet of her. I saw him today and we told each other we love each other. We're doing what we can.

Non Sync likes this.
  14. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry about your friend.

15. Commander Troi

Thank you. It sucked seeing him so weak and frail. :weep:

16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

You can’t even get a pine box.

Oh, and pre-paid never means pre-paid. I showed my Mom’s burial policy to the worker and he looked like his heart sank…and he still charged me $300 bucks to have her hair done.

I thought this was pre-paid?

Blah blah blah.

Maybe one day they’ll go out of business

17. oldtrekkie

Not before people stop dying... and even then I'll bet they'll find a way to get some money out of it...

18. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

That's highway robbery, pure and simple. It doesn't cost even a quarter of that to have a live person's hair done.

19. Non Sync

Non Sync Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hiding from the NARA, I've said too much...
    I know my mom's pre-paid plan didn't cover the extra mileage to pick her up. They bought the policy in the Palm Springs area but moved to San Diego County later. While the mortuary had been bought by Forest Lawn, there wasn't a closer Forest Lawn facility so had to pay a couple hundred extra for them to pick up her body.

At least when my father died, there was a closer Forest Lawn facility, so didn't have to go through that. Just all sorts of hassles from the cemetery back in Indiana.

20. Oddish

Oddish Admiral Admiral

All the more reason to make sure my own arrangements are made. I have no descendants to foot the bill, but who knows what they might try to suck out of my estate if I'm not in a condition to refuse. A grave, a fancy casket, even a funeral I neither want nor need.