Spoilers Fugitive of the Judoon grade and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Evil Headhunter, Jan 26, 2020.

?

How do you rate Fugitive of the Judoon?

1. Oh, brilliant!

43.2%
  2. 9

13.7%
  3. 8

22.1%
  4. 7

10.5%
  5. 6

5.3%
  6. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 4

1.1%
  8. 3

1.1%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Rubbish

3.2%
  1. Australis

Australis Writer Admiral

Yeah, this. Ninja'd byNightowl1701.

2. antichristhill

antichristhill The Blooness Premium Member

My feelings exactly. Just finished watching it with hubby; when it was over, I turned to him and said, "Now THAT'S how you do a Doctor Who episode! Where the hell was THAT all season?" He agreed. Tight pacing, good characters, great payoff. AND, Capt. Jack Harkness thrown in for good measure (yay, Capt. Jack! *squee*).

Here's hoping the ending doesn't suck and ruin this good streak (of...um...2).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    SolarisOne and Pickle Rick like this.
  3. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Commodore

While I agree that Chibnell's DW has not been immune to the minimal stinkers one expects from DW his season and a half it does seem like we've been watching different shows. The seasons have seen more investigative DW than running from monsters DW. And, from someone who was there to watch how bad the 80s got, only Orphan 55 and Arachnid's in the UK even approach the depths Colin Baker's run the first 2 seasons of Sylvester McCoy plumbed.

And after slogging through the Capaldi Era (which could be as dismal as what we got in the 80s), I'm mostly pleased at how Whittaker's run has been, even if I prefer more when she reminds me of Davison than when she's trying to be a female David Tennant.

4. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon Time is a monster Premium Member

Yes I do realize what show this is.... But having our own ideas as viewers is what makes it so much fun.

I've had time to think this over and reset my brain.

I think the other Doctor is The Doctor but from an alternate timeline that may have been aborted from a previous Doctor's adventures. That's my take on this. That Doctor did exist but in a totally different timeline that ceased to exist for whatever reason. Somehow she managed to escape that and land on present Day Earth in the current timeline and used the chameleon arch to wipe her identity.

That would also explain the other TARDIS which was buried. As for Gat I think she works for the C.I.A. The Celestial Investigation Agency who work for the Timelords.

As for the Master telling the Doctor that what she knows is a lie well I've been stewing on that one. What if their whole society was built on the subjugation of the universe and that's how the Timelords originally got all their power and the Doctor and Master, and others ran from all that. It would explain a lot I think.

Anyway solid episode 8/10

BTW was Chibs involved with Broadchurch? I thought that was a good show wasn't it?

SolarisOne likes this.
  5. Xerxes82

Xerxes82 Commander Red Shirt

Ok, now that was a thing that happened.

What fun! I was completely caught flatfooted by Jack's return. Jack! Hell yeah! I figured out that Ruth was a Time Lord early, and even twigged that she was the Doctor before the reveal, but I was curious how that could be. They left that thread hanging, more or less, but it was still fun.

RuthDoc was excellent. Loved the actress, loved the outfit. A little bit harder edge than Jodie's version.

And Jodie. Finally! Her confusion, her desperation. Finally she felt like a complete character instead of just a grinning idiot. Watching her struggle with not wanting to share with Ryan, Yaz and Graham at the outset of the episode is the first time I think I really connected with Jodie's Doctor.

This was far and away my favorite episode of Chibnall's tenure. Excellent Who. It raises all kinds of questions, and hopefully the answers give us more of this quality. Also, I can't wait for Jack to meet 13. Hopefully he's back before the end of the year. I haven't been this excited about an episode in years.

6. Alan Roi

Alan Roi Commodore Commodore

I like the idea of RuthDoc existing between 2 and 3. Her Tardis control room does have a very classic look to it, as does her outfit. And its certainly not the first time previous incarnations had been kept secret from the Doctor - See the War Doctor. I think a pre-Hartnell regeneration might be even more interesting to delve into - re: The Brain of Morbius connection.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

Not sure that I’m completely onboard but at least was interesting and entertaining. Think I need a rewatch to get a handle on it and don’t mind doing so which is an improvement.

8. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

All these complex theories are very interesting but in reviewing the episode again - the show itself seems to set up a pretty straightforward mystery that a casual viewer can follow - what happened that the Doctor not remember this past self?

9. Hennessy Badger

Hennessy Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Doctor Who hasn’t given me a jaw dropping moment in YEARS, and this episode managed to deliver two! God it felt good to watch thrilling Who again! I loved it.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Admiral Admiral

Judoon review: wo wo wo yo sho go lo co fo sho

11. Skipper

Skipper Commodore Commodore

Uh, Why the doctors didn't ask each other what regeneration they were in, instead of endlessly repeating "I am your past !!!" "No it's me!!!". They had done so in other episodes with multiple Doctors.

12. lvsxy808

lvsxy808 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had an idea as I was waking up this morning.

Instead of 13 walking to the top of the lighthouse, looking out and seeing the grave, then leaving the lighthouse and digging up Ruth's Tardis from beneath the grave... the lighthouse should have been Ruth's Tardis all along.

Ruth did call the lighthouse "home". It is where her Time Lord consciousness was stored. It has lots of room inside it, lots of stairs and layers. It has a flashing light on the top, used for keeping travellers safe.

13 should have gone to the top of the lighthouse and looked out over the landscape. Meanwhile down below, Ruth smashed the glass... and 13 should have seen the lighthouse vworp vworp around her, reformatting itself into the familiar Tardis set, and Ruth is standing there saying "I'm the Doctor".

Plus, it would have been yet another case of the Doctor walking into somebody's house in the middle of nowhere that she doesn't realise is really a Tardis in disguise, after the Master's outback hut, thus making it a motif of the season. (The third time, if you count 12 in Clara's diner.)

Mr Awe likes this.
  13. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I could swallow the Doctor forgetting a whole cycle given the war Doctor, but making the Doctor only a woman and forgetting all the male regenerations sounds like internet BS.

We have already seen other timelords switch gender and have no problem remembering who they were.

I think this is possibly a BSG kind of cyclical universe theory where the Timelords have come and gone many times and somehow this is bleeding through for some reason.

I am just happy everyone is excited about Doctor Who again.

14. Relayer1

Relayer1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Big Finish sit up and pay attention...

15. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The answer to Doctor Ruth, will obviously tie into whatever got the Master angry enough to destroy Gallifrey. So they've been doing something that involves multiple regeneration cycles, with the memories of them being wiped for some reason.

16. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon Time is a monster Premium Member

Or maybe the Master found out like I said that their civilization was a huge lie built over the enslavement of a whole universe to create their world, their race so everything they thought they knew was a huge load of codswollop.

17. lvsxy808

lvsxy808 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A couple of points people on Twitter spotted:

Tardis-style windows and a hexagonal mirror in Ruth's apartment:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Plus her name - Ruth Clayton. "Ruth" is a Hebrew name meaning companion or friend. "Clayton" is an English name meaning 'of the earth'. So the Doctor literally renamed herself "friend of the Earth".

18. jaime

jaime Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In rare form for me, I have a very short answer:

You are mistaken.

Slightly longer: the answers to all of that involves watching the show for certainly the last 15 years, even if you don’t fancy the full fifty plus.

19. jaime

jaime Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope. There were pictures of people in silly hats on a screen, but it’s not clear. Then information was given on screen, repeatedly, that they definitely weren’t. The Morbius Doctors theory has less weight than the Doctor being half human on his mother’s side.

20. Evil Robert

Evil Robert Admiral Admiral

This!

This This and all this! This was the episode I've been wanting for years! Fun, referential, good use of previous aliens (and playing up their natural ambiguities) and a great central WTF mystery (actually a couple of good mysteries introduced!)

Even Jodie shined with some good writing to play off of! And Jo Martin really did *feel* the part. She played/acted it well.

Of course more then a smidge was hoping she'd say Ramona (or even Susan,The Rani or Mad Monk) of course.