For All Mankind Trailer - Apple TV- SPOILER

"Make it so, XO!"

I see what you did there, David and Bradley. :D

Woof, this was a gut puncher of an episode. While the classism themes were heavy handed, they were nonetheless quite effective. Even though I expected the development, it was still difficult to watch Miles discover the investment on his new career turn completely upside down and being told to lump it simply because he's on a hostile planet that wants to kill him. Little scenes like feeling invisible while repairing a crewmember's HVAC and then being offhandedly told to do something that's not even in Miles' purview hit hard for me, because that divide reminded me a lot of what I experienced as an enlisted service member in the Navy (while also realizing I had never thought of that divide specifically as classism until now).

Unsurprisingly, Ed doesn't see the problem and that these people should simply appreciate the fact that they're on a planet instead of trying to earn money. Of course he's completely blind to that aspect of society and expects everyone to follow his worldview from his own life experiences regardless of completely different backgrounds and upbringings. And while I appreciate what Dani did with the comms and actually sensing there's a real problem brewing, I don't think even she can truly see what's really going on. A revolution is on the horizon and it's not just in the Soviet Union.

We barely checked in with Margo this time around but it's enough to make me worry for her. I'm not sure what's going on but I'm not surprised that she was quickly swept into it as an innocent bystander. It's probably going to put her in the position to move forward with her le Carré plotline far sooner than anticipated.

How is it we've gone this long without Aleida and Kelly formally meeting? Well, it was well worth the wait and I love that they're both splitting from NASA after their respective bitter roadblocks. Mind you, Aleida's more personal and she's not dealing with the real issue, a theme that I hope that's properly explored as the season progresses. I'm very curious to see where their newfound joint venture will lead them...and I imagine their paths are about to cross Dev Ayesa's.

I just happened to see that book in my local bookstore last week and I was curious about it, even though its basic premise of "Maybe we shouldn't be doing this" put me off. I'm curious to know your larger thoughts on it, both now and when you finish it.

You know, i could save my time and just hit the like button under your posts because it's exactly what i was going to say now that i've seen the episode :lol:

Ed is an awesome mission commander but a shit people manager, that was not hard to see in this episode. He simply doesn't understand that not everyone shares his idealism and drive to push boundaries, some people really are only in it for the paycheck - something he never had to wonder about being a driven high achiever with the skills and intelligence to match. It will get worse on Happy Valley as people have nowhere to run away or transfer to - if leadership in a particular team is that bad people jump that team and join another one, possibly even relocate but this is not possible here and this is a pressure cooker currently building steam. Danielle had the right idea and pushed forward but it may be too little and too late, especially since she didn't follow through completely and made the effort for all personnell at Happy Valley.

So yeah, the Soviet Union is crashing. It had to happen since their system was simply unsustainable, just like in our reality. It will be interesting how soon mystery pigeon lady will come to bail Margo out and what the price will be for that help.

Aleida and Kelly teaming up is an awesome pairing, i expect much and am waiting for the ticking time bomb that is Aleida to finally go off but i hope she recovers once the dust settles.

I wouldn't say "We shouldn't be doing this," more "Permanent self-sustaining settlement off-Earth is going to be a lot harder than space-billionaires think." I'd already known a lot of the basic fundamentals of what the book goes into (there's essentially nothing that could happen to Earth that could make it more hostile to human life than Mars, life in space is woefully under-researched), but they definitely go into the details. I think the back-cover quote from the authors of "The Expanse" hits it on the head, describing the book as a "bracing to-do list." To listen to Elon Musk, you'd think the hard part of getting a permanent civilization on Mars is just building the rockets to get them there, but that's relatively easy. There are a ton of known-unknowns that need to get known for space settlement to have a chance of being anything better than a catastrophe, from basic questions about how (or if!) reproduction works in low or zero gravity, with greater radiation exposure, to details about law and rights. Also, how some of the potential pay-offs of space exploration are exaggerated (apparently, the projected benefits of Helium-3 to fusion energy research are optimistic, at best, and descriptions of its prevalence on the moon are misleading).

I'm in the chapter about self-sustaining ecosystems, and one of the things pointed out is that it takes a considerable amount of calories to ferment alcohol, but that's not going to stop people (the participants in Biosphere 2 were constantly on the verge of starvation, but they still made hooch). If there's a supply-crunch, I bet Ed isn't going to be happy when he finds out person-months of their food stores went into those whiners on the work-teams making a still. The later chapters are going to get into society and law in space, which I bet will touch on subjects similar to how the Helios workers are on a de facto indenturement, and that's a relatively good scenario in a situation where your access to food, water, and air are all entirely controlled by one for-profit company that may not consider your life the best way to get revenue.

From the introduction, the authors indicated they've landed on a more "nail everything down that's needed first, then make one massive push to establish a permanent settlement," rather than Musk's suggestion of trying to boot-strap a settlement by sending people over and figuring out the challenges and needs of making a life in space as they go. That'd still require crewed exploration and expeditions, but there'd need to be a lot more deliberate experimentation and research on Earth and in those missions with an eye towards permanence and sustainability.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the book and reassuring me the actual content of the book. I clearly got the wrong impression from my brief look at the back of the book and flipping through a few pages. I'll keep it in mind as something to pick up further down the road when I have the time and money.

You know, i could save my time and just hit the like button under your posts because it's exactly what i was going to say now that i've seen the episode :lol:
Great minds think alike. :D

I agree 100% about Ed. I just wish he wasn't so stubborn to realize the differences.

Aleida and Kelly teaming up in the bar and on space/science work = Yay :beer:

Margo hasn't reached rock bottom yet, despite the fall and broken glasses.
My guess she'll be carted off into a prison camp of sorts, before she gets a chance of a rescue by that bird feeding lady.

Camera work showing "lower decker" and Danielle in split screen until meeting up was fun.
Still don't care about the Miner character nor about "get of my lawn planet" Ed.

I much more liked this episode overall - Sovjet Union unrest, same happening on Mars.

Just finished first episode, probably one of my favorite shows!

Uh, stupid and naive question: in the USA when you say you have a degree they take your word for it? I understand that I live in a hyper-bureaucratized country, but at my first post-grad job they wanted to see proof of my graduation.

I'm kinda happy we're actually going all Swan Lake and everything's not OK in the USSR.

I'm also kinda apprehensive, given that the show hasn't so far shown an overly deep understanding of the nature of the USSR and of its collapse. Namely, that it was essentially a prison of peoples (ironically a phrase coined by Lenin in reference the the Russian Empire; repressive and brutal as it otherwise was the early Soviet state was working hard to move away from that model - just to revert to it hard later on) that started to crack and crumble as soon as the economy could no longer support the status quo and people were given some chance to voice their feelings about things.

So having an ep last week called "Glasnost", without actually showing any understanding of what the Glasnost dynamics were ("You can now say how you feel." > "I feel like I don't want to be here.") gave me an uneasy feeling in my stomach, but let's see where they take this.

My guess is that the coup might actually succeed in this time line and the hardliners regain control of the Soviet Union, the Cold War is reignited, and we have a new source of drama up there in space. Wondering if they'll get uncomfortably close to the here and now and put Vladimir Putin in charge of their Soviet Union.

What the hell is going on with the North Koreans, anyway? There appear to be only two of them, they lived in a walled off section of the base, and . . . do what? Watch each other all day?

Uh, stupid and naive question: in the USA when you say you have a degree they take your word for it? I understand that I live in a hyper-bureaucratized country, but at my first post-grad job they wanted to see proof of my graduation.
UK resident here and I have never, ever been asked for proof of my credentials.

I was never directly asked to provide documentation myself, but I have had to consent to a background check every time I've been hired. I don't know what exactly it entails, I think it's just, like, running my records through a database to see if I've ever been convicted of a crime or things like that. I assume if I tried to pretend I went to a college I didn't go to, it'd be caught then. On the other hand, I entered the working-world well after 2003, so maybe that kind of semi-automatic checking wasn't as practical then.

I was never directly asked to provide documentation myself, but I have had to consent to a background check every time I've been hired. I don't know what exactly it entails, I think it's just, like, running my records through a database to see if I've ever been convicted of a crime or things like that. I assume if I tried to pretend I went to a college I didn't go to, it'd be caught then. On the other hand, I entered the working-world well after 2003, so maybe that kind of semi-automatic checking wasn't as practical then.
I have to say that from what I know only new graduates are asked for proof (not always). If you already have experience and it's not your first job I imagine your CV speaks for you.

EDIT: By the way, some jobs ask for an official certificate proving that you have a clean criminal record.

Let's say that what the company should do in America is asked directly to the new hire...

A private employer may or may not actually care if you have a degree. They mostly want experience over education, especially in a manufacturing environment.

I was given a job interview on the California State University campus prior to graduation in my senior year. I was also given a job offer in writing after I toured the employer's different facilities and asked which one I would perfer to work in, all before I had obtained a Bachelor of Science degree. The job was as a Quality Assurance Engineer in satellite manufacturing in El Segundo, CA. I started work there a week after graduation. It didn't hurt that I attached a copy of my USN DD-214 (certificate of discharge from military service) to my résumé. It also didn't hurt that the job interviewer was a retired USN submarine captain. I had the date listed on my résumé when I would receive my BS, and the job interviewer and employer offered me a job, and I accepted it, before that date.

Well that episode is definitely laying the groundwork for some conflict. As others have already speculated, in this timeline the coup against Gorbachev probably succeeded, will be interesting to see the repercussions of that. Mars doesn't seem to be such a great place to work if you're at the bottom of the totem pole. I wonder what the NK's are up to, that's gonna be an issue at some point.

In the past, I've had to provide transcripts from college, but not documentation of degree. For my current post, I do have to have a clearance level, so there was a very thorough background check.

You would think there would be a high level of security clearance/vetting required for space missions. Especially when the area/bases they're going to have military/countries with actual attached structures.

You would think there would be a high level of security clearance/vetting required for space missions. Especially when the area/bases they're going to have military/countries with actual attached structures.
You have a point. Maybe the checks were only on suspicious activities rather than on educational qualifications? Or maybe in this universe there are privacy laws similar to those that exist in Europe now?

Damn, for some reason I thought it was a day later, not two days earlier. I'll watch it in the morning since I have the day off.

Back