For All Mankind Trailer - Apple TV- SPOILER

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Mysterion, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Kraig

Kraig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hopefully Jamestown can get a message back to Mission Control to give them an update, and try to stop the Soyuz / Apollo meet up. All it would take is for the Soviets to use weapons, instead of a handshake, when they both dock. Gordo and Tracy are going to need to suit up and get in their vehicle so they can contact mission control and get the MARDET from the drilling site back to Base. The Soviets may have sabotaged the module before they took the Jamestown control room.

2. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

They somehow managed to make Danielle’s Apollo capsule seem antiquated, though an incrementally updated Apollo+Saturn1B program would have still been state of the art in the early 80s.

At first I thought one lone Cosmonaut had gone rogue, maybe the colonel we saw at Jamestown. Were their AKs painted white too?

Predictions for the finale:
    1. The goodwill that Danielle and Margo have built up with their Soviet counterparts will save the day.
    2. The Marine that fired first will commit suicide, or otherwise sacrifice herself in defending the base.
    3. We will lose one main character.

3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was the room the cosmonaut was in. They stated earlier than the room could isolated for medical reasons.

The Apollo capsules were phased out earlier in this timeline, so they probably never got the upgrades.

4. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Buran armed in space and on the way to the moon, Pathfinder armed in space and on the way to the moon, both sides armed on the moon and now Jamestown under attack - they need writers from god to write themselves believably out of war, if they want to at all. Margot was right, wars have started for less.

Dropping that bomb on Ed right before was just bad timing but still i don't get Karen's justification. Maybe i missed some huge part but where did Ed mistreat or neglect her to the point she felt so dissatisfied that she cheated on him?

Margo's little help from engineer to engineer might have led to great consequences and i think she realized it - if word ever got out given the circumstances she might even be charged with treason.

I loved the Soviet scenes on board of Jamestown - they were rightfully furious at the Americans for killing/severly wounding their comrades ( even though they escalated first by annexing the US site in the first step), that was well acted and written. However i did not expect the Soviet kosmonaut to defect. Understandable and happened a lot in our actual Cold War but it may have led to the assault itself because i think the Soviets believe he's held against his own will as a prisonder and they want to bust him out. However the Soviets must know that assaulting Jamestown might be the starting point of the war and they were fine with it apparently, maybe also due to their failing social and economic system because war usually helps failing leaders and countries to ward off the inevitable ( which just crashes that much harder once the war is over).

Good on Molly to have come to her senses and realize that Wayne was right, she was on her way to a charlatan who would just take her money without real proof that his treatment would work. I understand Molly though, desperate people will grasp at any straw to get help and even otherwise intelligent people will make unwise decísions out of fear.

Well, it seems we're in for one hell of a finale.

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Karen-Ed has been underwritten all season. Other than that one blow up to end an episode, they could've done more to show that the relationship hasn't been the same since Shane died.

Karen-Danny was also horribly underwritten. Basically Karen has gotten the short end of the stick as the one main character who has nothing to do with NASA or the Navy.

6. Tuskin38

I'm thinking the attack on Jamestown might not have been sanctioned by the Soviet Government.

Robert April likes this.
  7. Aragorn

This alternate reality will have Bruce Willis playing Gordo Stevens in Die Hard.

"Come out to the moon, we'll get together, have a few laughs..."

8. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Oh, I wish I could like this 100 times.

I’m also not sure why Karen is having second thoughts about Ed after thirty years, he seems to be a good faithful husband, unlike a lot of his astronaut peers.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    1987SpaceGuy likes this.
  9. 1987SpaceGuy

1987SpaceGuy Captain Captain

good episode, what an ending!

When I saw the Astronauts doing "routine" maintenance checks, then one looked out...
    I knew immediately something would happen.

However I thought it would end with the Astronaut getting sucked out to the moon surface through the shot window...

then hands, boots in the window...
    here I go, thinking one Cosmonaut going for revenge...

then wait, WTF more hands, boots, more weapons and Cosmonauts...

Holly S*ht!

Just cool
    Pathfinder launching from a plane, "just flying off into space".
    Star Trek quote/talk from Danielle during the Apollo launch.

Worried
    Looks like pretty much all of the main cast are on the chopping board of sorts potentially:
    • Ed on armed Pathfinder
    • Danielle on the Apollo/Soyuz (that could blow up due to things happening on Luna and Terra)
    • Molly radiation damaged.
    • Gordo and Tracy in conquered Jamestown Base.
    • Ellen under political pressure/public eye stepping down or forced to do so (due to the sleazy politician potentially uncovering her, her husbands and Pams secret)

Glad
    Molly changed her mind and returned to Wayne.
    Aleida was back in mission control, along and next to Bill.

Sad
    for Margo and Sergej and scientific collaboration and potential international and personal relations
    for Ellen and Pam's relationship. Clearly that letter was a lie and Ellens husband knows. Makes it even worse.

Angry at
    Karen... (not for what she did at the bar, but dropping and taking it out on Ed now)

publiusr and Robert April like this.
  10. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

It just occurred to me, while I recognized when this episode was bringing back the fact that Wayne was a doctor by training, that could also explain why he's so much better at golf than everyone else.

It really seems like classic midlife crisis stuff, and it comes honestly from her character. Karen is a massive control freak in a situation where she has no control over Ed's safety, the most important thing in her life. This goes all the way back to the first episode, where she blew up on him for seemingly wrecking his career by venting to a reporter about NASA's lack of boldness instead of to her, and then a couple episodes later when she got offended on his behalf by the idea of women astronauts as a publicity stunt when he'd actually put in the work; Ed's life is Karen's life, as far as she was concerned, and it really pissed her off that she seemed to take his life more seriously than he did. And we found out it wasn't really his career that bothered her, but the risks to his life, through her friendship with Wayne and him getting her to open up about her fears. Then Shane died, again, something totally out of her control, but she was so busy worried about Ed she never even considered something like that could happen to her child.

Fast forward ten years, she's running the bar (probably as a replacement for her previous way to channel her control-freak tendencies, being a Queen Bee among the astro-wives), and everything seems fine, until the specter of her family risking their lives regularly comes up again. Look at the way she talks to Kelly in this episode, and after Ed's plane crash, and when she first told her about wanting to join the Navy, Karen is downright obsessed with her terror of Ed or Kelly getting themselves killed someplace far away where she has no control over what happens. And she leans back into that obsession, practically shoving Ed into Pathfinder when he genuinely seemed happy enough flying a desk, and then spiraling further, acting more impulsively in the areas of life she did have control over, selling the bar and having an affair because after almost twenty years she just can't absorb the tension any more of being in the audience while her husband and children make their living playing russian roulette.

Robert April likes this.
  11. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I think you're right on all three counts (sacrifice instead of suicide for Webster).

Yup, I was completely baffled by her in this episode. She could've simply said there wasn't anything else bothering her but she left the door open just wide enough for Ed to realize something was wrong and then all hell broke loose. I didn't like her at all last season but I started to come around to her this season. However, all of that goodwill is completely gone now.

Exactly what I predicted several weeks ago. I knew she would regret her decision and here we are.

Yeah, I was worried for Molly because she refused to listen to Wayne's well-argued points. Thankfully she came to her senses after a bit of a separation from the heated argument. Good on Wayne for instantly welcoming her back without any resentment.

1987SpaceGuy likes this.
  12. Robert April

Robert April Lieutenant Red Shirt

Wow, the cold war is really heating up! So Margo's actions were the humane thing to do weren't they? Was it really treason in this case? I do think she's regretting the decision given the current situation. I was thinking it was smart of her to talk Ellen into waiting to see what the Soviets were going to do. However, was that just a distraction from taking over Jamestown, or was the attack on Jamestown a decision by the cosmonauts on the moon in revenge for their comrade?

This season isn't going to be long enough. How long will we have to wait for season 3?

13. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Lee Atwater? Jeez..........

nightwind1 and FreezeC77 like this.
  14. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

It was the humane and right decision, it may have saved lives if the Russians were unfortunate to run into conditions where the faulty seals would have caused an explosion and loss of life. However it was ( i suppose) still a classified project even if the Soviets stole the plans including the engineering fault. It was not her decision to inform the Soviets about the design flaw and now she enabled them to send an armed shuttle to the moon directly threating Americans. She better hope that either the Soviets keep their mouths shut or that American guard within earshot doesn't put 2 and 2 together and reports her.

I don't believe the Kosmonauts did that on their own, that decision to assault Jamestown is much too large in its scope and possible effect to be left to the "grunts on ground". This most likely came from the highest level of Soviet government but in a twist they may have believed their Kosmonaut to be held and possibly interrogated by the Americans, they couldn't have known he wants to defect. Either way, such a direct assault against the entire base could be grounds for war. whereas the accidental shooting of the Kosmonauts could have been handled as a severe diplomatic problem with the US publicly apologizing.

That option though doesn't exist anymore and more weapons are on their way to the moon so i believe an escalation is inevitable.

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Solids came late for the former Soviets

16. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

The Russians in our timeline have sensibly never used them for manned missions.

I'm wondering when Andropov kicks the bucket in the FAM timeline and if the show goes straight to his reformist protege Gorbachev, skipping over Chernenko.

17. Aragorn

The season 2 finale is going to be about 1-1/4 hours long.

Here's a clip.

Awesome Possum and 1987SpaceGuy like this.
  18. Tuskin38

I have a feeling the handshake is going to be called off, but both crews will do it anyways.

19. 1987SpaceGuy

1987SpaceGuy Captain Captain

20. Tuskin38

The finale is live