First Picard Show pic!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by F. King Daniel, May 15, 2019.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, just no. It's an alternate universe, where an inciting incident resulted in changes to Starfleet's design schemes, and impacted galactic politics (i.e. no war with the Klingons).

Khan doesn't have a vastly different backstory and the universe rules run at speed of plot like all Star Trek.

No wonder Kelvin Trek upsets people so much if this is the view on it. :eek:

2. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

It may be her, it may not. It probably isn’t her. But we don’t know for sure yet.

3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

That looks...incredibly low budget.

Longinus likes this.
  4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm really not getting the negative comments on the uniforms? The fit looks fine to me. Has anyone actually seen The Next Generation? These outfits are 10x more flattering than those latter day baggy 2-piece outfits.

5. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll withhold judgement until I've seen more than a 4 second clip, especially considering that we don't know if that clip was edited in a way that is different than the planned finished product.

6. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you. I'm astounded by people jumping to the negative about a few images photographed off a screen, and some very long distance shots.

Disengage Your Enthusiasm

7. fireproof78

Have you met fans?

8. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

True. I'm just surprised at the amount of reaction ratio to the amount of material.

SJGardner, fireproof78 and daedalus5 like this.
  9. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I never understood this. How does a civilization that has Federation level technology not know millennia in advance about their sun blowing up? Suns don't just randomly explode. Was Soran actually not dead in Generations, and came back to blow up Romulus's sun in order to enter the nexus? Did someone accidentally shoot that moronic "red matter" into the sun just for fun?

It was stupid plot point in a bad movie, they should have just ignored it instead of letting terrible writers wipe out an entire well known Trek alien species for the stupidest reasons possibly. Of course, when one of the people in charge of the show is one of those terrible writers, I guess the show is just screwed in some ways.

I'm still excited for the show, but it really sucks to know that the most nonsensical BS is being used as a plot point. Especially since a sun magically exploding wouldn't effect Picard at all, outside of being sad about the (unrealistic) genocide of an entire race by way of magic plot BS.

Longinus likes this.
  10. fireproof78

Why wouldn't it impact Picard? He worked with Spock for a time towards reunification, as well as being among the first Starfleet officers to stand in the Romulan senate building.

I think this underestimates the impact that it potentially could have on a personal level.

saladdays likes this.
  11. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

He has seen and experienced a lot of messed up stuff in his career. His life wouldn't be significantly changed by Romulus blowing up, unless they add some BS to the show (it turns out he had a secret marriage to a romulan woman offscreen after Nemesis and she died when the sun magically exploded for no reason, or something equally stupid :rolleyes:). In the end, I'm sure the premise of the show won't be focused on the moronic death of Romulus, but it makes no sense for Picard to have any connection to it. He visited the planet twice in his, what, 90ish years of life by the time of this show? I'd expect him to be sad, because basically an entire species (minus the probable millions of romulans on colonies throughout the Empire, now that I think about it) dying is a tragedy (especially when the events make no sense), but that's all it would be.

One more Galactic tragedy to a guy who has lived through at least two wars (Cardassian and Dominion), several borg invasions, and more messed up stuff then even most Star Fleet officers probably have to deal with sucks, but this particular tragedy actually has less connection to him then a bunch of the stuff he dealt with fairly well just on TNG.

12. ToyBoxComix

ToyBoxComix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think the uniforms look fine. IMO, the Discovery uniforms are too ornate and fitted and impractical-looking. These look like another version of the 24th century design philosophy, when Starfleet was a bit more relaxed and comfortable. Families lived on starships and the ship's counselor could wear whatever she wanted on duty for some reason.

I, too, prefer that Data remain dead. I hate the idea that this wholly unique being can just be stored on an isolinear chip and transferred to another piece of hardware. In my headcanon, B4 gained some of Data's memories but remained a simpler person and didn't actually become Data.

Star Trek has a long history of glossing over bad stories and accepting only the major ideas. Just state that Picard helped open diplomcatic ties with Romulas and that was going well until Romulas was suddenly destroyed by an astronomical phenomenon. No need to get into excessive detail to try to make sense of how a supernova can suddenly threaten the entire galaxy.

I'm mostly thrilled that we finally get a canon follow-up to the destruction of Romulas. That was a huge bomb to drop on the Prime continuity in service of a semi-reboot and it kinda pissed me off.

I also would have been satisfied if Prime timeline canon ignored it, although that would have meant that the Spock in 2009 wasn't actually Prime Spock.

13. fireproof78

It would depend on whether or not he was involved in the rebuilding efforts since he had contact with Donatra as part of their efforts to defeat Shinzon. He also was close enough to Spock to be impacted by his mission and presumed death.

If we remove the personal animus towards the destruction of Romulus and recognize that Picard has more history with them, and with Spock, then it becomes more clear that it would have an impact.

saladdays likes this.
  14. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Not their own sun.

15. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's actually a clip from the Orville.

ITDUDE and Dukhat like this.
  16. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes. This. The supernova is from the "Hobus star", and not that of Romulus. How do people not get this? Even in ST'09, Spock starts the mind-meld narrative with "129 years from now, A star goes supernova". A star, not Romulus' star.

BillJ likes this.
  17. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well if it was caused artificially, then quite easily.

18. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know this. You know this. But go ask anyone else that doesn't have an account on a Trek fan forum - and they'll tell you the Kelvin movies are either 1) a straight reboot (those that have seen TWOK once in their life), or 2) a prequel (those younger ones, that grew up on the Star Wars prequels). And that includes many of my friends that are actually fans of the JJmovies and do watch DIS (even though they don't get all the references, because they've never seen TOS or TNG).

And yes - this shaky foundation is the very biggest flaw of the Kelvin movies, that IMO also is the reason they had to be discontinued. Because while the first one was extremely entertaining - it didn't know what it was. For the hardcore fans it was something completely different than for mainstream audiences. And while you can hold that fassade for a single movie - it was bound to fail if it didn't fully commit to what it would be. And it never did.

19. SJGardner

SJGardner Commodore Commodore

Funnily enough, I criticized them as well and now as I've watched some old DS9 clips I realized the DS9/VOY uniforms were just as baggy and creased as these ones. So it's probably just the lighting in this particular clip combined with the fact it was recorded from a screen. The screencap makes it look like the weather is overcast wich makes everything look blander.

20. fireproof78

If that's their takeaway then I don't see the harm. I truly don't. The first one was so entertaining that my wife, who loathes SF for the most part, got in to Star Trek because of it.

Regardless, I stand by my assertion that they are not just going to throw in the supernova with reckless abandon and expect the audience to figure it out. Contemporary productions like spoon feeding too much.

Oh, and the reason that they were discontinued had nothing to do with the shaky foundation and everything to do with Paramount's mismanagement.

Greg Cox, burningoil and Ovation like this.