Firebird's Sketch of the Week Series

Nice work, the facial expression of Boimler is great and funny, the hair on Nino is eh.. very pink, the eye colour is interesting looks like a little pink is mixed into that as well. :mallory:

Nice work, the facial expression of Boimler is great and funny, the hair on Nino is eh.. very pink, the eye colour is interesting looks like a little pink is mixed into that as well. :mallory:

As always, Boimler is my favorite Trek character to draw because of his amazingly expressive face.

The original author of QQ gave Nino rather vibrant pink hair compared to the other Nakano quints. The marker I used is the closest one I have to the shade from this piece below from a couple years ago I did with Prismacolors (middle of the top row).
kLDd03X.jpg

Drawing 409 / 2023 Artwork 82: At Studio Firebird, we believe in the use of propane and propane accessories, I tell yuh hwut.
eqM93yd.jpg

Drawing 410 / 2023 Artwork 83: Cherry from Urusei Yatsura.
CdF2ot1.jpg

Drawing 411 / 2023 Artwork 84: Lt. Yotsuba Nakano of the USS Protostar.
dfOuwk2.jpg

Drawing 412 / 2023 Artwork 85: Rumiko Manbagi from Komi Can't Communicate, short hair version.
CZ48pCK.jpg

Drawing 413 / 2023 Artwork 86: Finishing my Starfleet x Quintessential Quintuplets crossover series with Lt. Ichika Nakano of the USS Enterprise.
8b9OXHi.jpg

I like the second one. The first, not so much. Too little contrast between the hair and skin tone. But moreover, the brush strokes are too obvious. It just feels a little rush ... not up to your usual standards, sorry to say. I do really like the second one.

I like the second one. The first, not so much. Too little contrast between the hair and skin tone. But moreover, the brush strokes are too obvious. It just feels a little rush ... not up to your usual standards, sorry to say. I do really like the second one.
The more I look at it, the less I like it myself. I was dealing with markers that were running out and tried to make the best with what I had on hand. The colors are true to the original manga, however.

Been a helluva busy 48 hours at Studio Firebird. In that time, I did the two drawings below, and over on EVA-Trek, I completed a revision pass on episode 15's final draft, finished episode 16's last draft, wrote the second draft for episode 17, and banged out an outline for episode 18. With all that out of the way, I'm putting myself on a forced one-week writing hiatus until my over-clocked brain cools off. Next on my list is to start composing and arranging the main title theme for EVA-Trek, something I've hoped to do since I finished the first episode last year.

Drawing 414 / 2023 Artwork 87
: Plain, simple Garak.
7mlcBRi.jpg

Drawing 415 / 2023 Artwork 88: Lum and Ataru from Urusei Yatsura.
pBJSzyd.jpg

Drawing 416 / 2023 Artwork 89: Sumi Sakurasawa from Kanojo, Okarishimasu.
797Z8FQ.jpg

Drawing 417 / 2023 Artwork 90: Kanan from Kanan-sama wa Akumade Choroi.
x1QURIS.jpg

Drawing 418 / 2023 Artwork 91: Duck Dodgers in the 24th and Three-Quarters Century.
TkioBRf.jpg

Drawing 419 / 2023 Artwork 92: Earthforce Captain Yurika Misumaru was there... at the dawning of the third age of mankind.
srFmjUX.jpg

Song 1 / 2023 Composition 1: Spent the week putting together the main title theme for EVA-Trek, essentially taking the track "Ambassadrice Rouge" and putting it through a Dennis McCarthy filter.

Last edited:
I really like the first Nadesico series, been a really long time since I've seen it though.. have you ever drawn Gai Daigoji? :D

Drawing 420 / 2023 Artwork 93: Kicking off the weekend with a relaxing Misato.
MXLmqyy.jpg

Drawing 421 / 2023 Artwork 94: A quickie drawing of TAS-style Uhura.
RecuULJ.jpg

Drawing 422 / 2023 Artwork 95: Ensign D'Vana Tendi, but anime-styled. I also used the live-action version of the Lower Decks uniform for the basis of the design I used here.
korVpFl.jpg

On a supplementary note, I was able to figure out the tech issues I'd been having with my music mixing software, which enabled me to upload a new mix of the EVA-Trek main title theme. Check out the updated link in the previous post! I think it sounds infinitely better than before - less tinny, and I sweetened some of the percussion, too. Next up will be a cut-down version to use as EVA-Trek's end credits theme. Maybe I'll also toss the 90's CBS/Viacom fanfare at the end to really make it authentic :hugegrin:

Drawing 423 / 2023 Artwork 96: Ensign Boimler, hard at work.
PjCtweb.jpg

Drawing 424 / 2023 Artwork 97: Gintama's Elizabeth weighs in on one of the most hot-button topics of the 24th century.
4of0Ilr.jpg

Drawing 425 / 2023 Artwork 98: Earthforce Lieutenant Miku Nakano. I'd originally intended drawing Miku in the "army of light" uniform from the latter seasons of Babylon 5, but then realized it would end up looking like a dark blob on the page. Besides, I'm kinda partial to this uniform anyway. You wouldn't believe how long it took to properly color her eyes. Trying to get the facets of light playing off her irises and the gradient effect on her eyelashes is annoying, but worth it in the end.
Vs14eIN.jpg

Back