Firebird's Sketch of the Week Series

Short and sweet this week with just one drawing, a tie-in to the latest episode of EVA-Trek, "Learn to Fly."

Drawing 441 / 2023 Artwork 114: Scene 19A, INT. TRAINING ENTRY PLUG (OPTICAL), take 3. Crewman Kensuke Aida confidently learns the ropes before his Eva, the USS Matsushiro, is delivered to the USS Nerv for shakedown cruise and initial flight checks.
0NPblMA.jpg

I'm not familiar with the character, but the Thorn Princess has a great look for her title - plenty of points and spikes. I especially like her lashes - and you've drawn & coloured her eyes sublimely, as per usual :bolian:

Drawing 448 / 2023 Artwork 121: A quick sketch of Chris Pine's Kirk from Star Trek Beyond because I realized that the Kelvin Timeline uniforms were the only Starfleet variants I haven't drawn before.
bjl1BZm.jpg

Drawing 449 / 2023 Artwork 122: Provisional Lieutenant J.G. T'Lyn from Lower Decks, but anime style.
Zw7xdAl.jpg

Honestly surprised I managed to find the energy for these two drawings this weekend. I've been plowing full speed ahead on finishing the last of the script outlines for EVA-Trek, and that's been taking up a considerable amount of my time of late. On the bright side, I'll lock down the last two episodes in the coming week. Finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel!

Also on the EVA-Trek front, I'm kinda interested in getting someone to make renders of a Galaxy-class starship with the USS Nerv livery on it, as well as a fellow illustrator to take some of the load off my shoulders as I bring the series in for a landing over the next few months. I simply don't have the time or bandwidth available to get all this writing done on schedule and pump out sketches of scenes from new episodes.

Chris Pine Kirk looks good, but he also reminds me a little of a kindly TOS McCoy. The eyebrows are unmistakably Chris Pine's, though.
Anime T'yn is amazing! I wonder if she's looking askance at Boimler as he's doing something ridiculous? :rommie:

Good luck getting some help with the starship and scenes - I hope you find someone/some people :bolian:

This week's offerings are a pair of concept art for the next episode of EVA-Trek (coming 2023.12.08), where I created a new alien race called the Brenlaui, a xenophobic culture who live in the far regions of the Alpha Quadrant, beyond the extents of Cardassian and Federation space.

Drawing 450 / 2023 Artwork 123: A Brenlaui Cruiser, done in the style of a John Eaves sketch. Embracing the tradition of reusing existing ship models in the Berman era, I repurposed the Miradorn Theta-class Raider as the basic design. From there, I made little tweaks and changes, including outboard warp nacelles. In-universe, the Brenlaui are approximately technologically equal to the Federation.
kIvKyQd.jpg

Drawing 451 / 2023 Artwork 124: Iretalcs, a Prelate of the Brenlaui Empire. Brenlaui are very tall, essentially anthropomorphic penguins. The basic face design comes from the Erect-Crested Penguin. Iretalcs' costume design has ecclesiastical notes, with vibrant colors meant to echo the costume designs of William Ware Theiss.
RWG8Rma.jpg

And I love the Brenlaui! :bolian: (And your thinking around the design of their ship)
I’m always thinking how TNG’s art department would’ve handled things any time I need to design something period-appropriate for EVA-Trek, with an eye towards fast and affordable in the best television production tradition. Ends up being pretty handy when I’m in a time crunch and need to get sketches done between finishing episode drafts. No need to start at complete zero!

Back