Firebird's Sketch of the Week Series

Firebird

Commodore
Commodore
As I mentioned in my Wrath of Khan comic book thread (https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/a-little-wrath-of-khan-comic-book-sketch.307439/), I'm taking some time every week in 2021 to draw something that catches my interest that week. This is to give myself a boost and restoke the artistic fires after last year put a serious dent in any motivation to be creative. I've been meaning for some time to create a parallel thread to share my artwork here in addition to my social media, so it's about time I get around to it.

To start, I'd like to share the highlights of the last few months before getting to the most recent drawings. The first sketch was in late January, and was supposed to be of James Garner. Well, it had been years since I last made a serious effort at drawing portraits, and it didn't come out great. But it was a start!

er7rMYu.jpg

Last edited:
I spent a lot of February trying to rediscover what artistic style worked best for what I wanted to do, so I drifted back and forth between portraits, Trek, and various anime that I started rewatching.
NSMbpOg.jpg

A tribute portrait of Christopher Plummer in The Sound of Music after his passing:
RzDl933.jpg

Jaken from Inuyasha:
75baSPm.jpg

A self-portrait, based on a photo I took a few years ago (which subsequently became my avatar here):
GxYew4a.jpg

Ryo-Ohki from Tenchi Muyo:
CLXTAFR.jpg

This month, I finally bought a set of Prismacolor pencils and made the jump into color sketches, to varying degrees of success. Overall, I think I still prefer regular greyscale sketching with my mechanical pencil for linework and a full set of normal pencils for shading.

Gendo and Fuyutsuki from Evangelion:
to5WFm0.jpg

Bones and Scotty do their part to mindscrew Mudd's androids:
27UnUQ7.jpg

Another Evangelion shot, of the main cast trying not to kill each other while crammed in an elevator:
VURHGBf.jpg

Everyone's favorite tailor, Elim Garak:
Uqj1ABW.jpg

Had some inspiration this evening to do a bonus sketch for this week, featuring the pets from some of my favorite anime and manga series.

There's a trope that goes "everything's better with penguins," but if you ask Pen-Pen, I don't think he'd quite agree at the moment.
6OiE1al.jpg

Back