Favourite live-action Batman movie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Janeway’s Girl, Jan 21, 2019.

?

Favourite live-action Batman movie

1. Batman 1989

24 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Batman Returns

14 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. Batman Forever

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Batman & Robin

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, this is a really interesting perspective! Does going into such detail on a movie help or hurt your appreciation of it. Have you ever written a novelization of a move you disliked? (you don't have to name the movie if it could get you in trouble)

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Of the choices I have to go with Batman Returns. I have to disagree with the OP about it being dark and serious, it' just so crazy and over the top there's no way you can possibly take it seriously.
    As for favorite overall, The Dark Knight.
    Oh, and I actually enjoyed Batman and Robin, when I watched it a few years ago a few years ago. If you go in and approach it as basically a modern, big budget version of the '66 TV series it actually works a lot better.

3. crookeddy

Yeah, this. Even the studio is referring a potential superman sequel as MOS 2, not 3.

4. crookeddy

Sorry for post bombing, I am super behind on this thread and don't want to forget things :)

Batman 89 isn't a great Batman movie, but it's certainly in the running for most important superhero movie of all time. For me the top 3 superhero movie ranked by importance to the sub-genre are Superman The Movie, Batman 89, and the first X-Men.

5. crookeddy

Agreed on 89, but isn't '66 a pretty accurate portrayal of the character as he was at that time? The comics code pretty much forced all comic books to go "goofy".

6. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Batman and Robin would be a decent movie if it weren't supposed to be a sequel to Batman '89, Batman Returns, and Batman Forever and if Schumacher hadn't allowed George Clooney and Chris O'Donnell to take a massive - and intentional - shit on Batman and Robin as characters.

The only saving graces the film has are its villains and Batgirl, but even they're not enough to overcome Clooney and O'Donnell's blatant and homophobic mockery of their characters.

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

FTFY

crookeddy likes this.
  8. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

AFAIK not really, not at the start at least, but once the show became super popular the comics became more campy as well to match the show.

9. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

The fifties comics got silly. But then the early sixties saw an attempt to make the stories more mystery-oriented. Then with the popularity of the TV show, the comics were made campy on purpose for a while.

Kor

crookeddy likes this.
  10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I find that it takes me a couple of viewings before I can appreciate the movie on its own terms, instead of comparing it to my novelization. The first time around I can't helping noticing all the things I got "wrong."

"Oh, so that's what that set looks like? Hey, they cut the trailer park scene out? Whoa, that wasn't in the script! Wait, nobody told me that character was a woman."

11. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

I did find it confusing you referring to Catwoman as a dude... ;)

Greg Cox and crookeddy like this.
  12. Matthew Raymond

Matthew Raymond Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's odd to me that people don't really care for Batman Begins, but love the other two Nolan films. I think they're all good films, but I the first is my favorite of the three, and the third is my least. Dark Night is okay, but the brilliant performance of Heath Ledger kinda carries the movie for me, and Dark Night Returns was a bit disappointing.

Man of Steel was a very polarizing movie, but I was rather ambivalent about it, neither hating it nor loving it. It's an okay movie that could have been great with a bit more work on the script.

BvS was garbage, though. Narratively and thematically, it's complete nonsense. Justice League was a mess, but at least it was reasonably entertaining, plus it gave us the brilliant HISHE version.

"I mustache you a question."
    "Maybe you should shave it for later."

I can attest to that.

13. crookeddy

What's wrong with it thematically?

14. Matthew Raymond

Matthew Raymond Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, what the heck is the overall theme? Don't get me wrong, I know that it has numerous themes, but it doesn't really explore any of them properly. That's what makes it so pretentious.