Favourite live-action Batman movie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Janeway’s Girl, Jan 21, 2019.

?

Favourite live-action Batman movie

1. Batman 1989

24 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Batman Returns

14 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. Batman Forever

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Batman & Robin

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Agreed.

Also, BvS isn't a Batman movie; it's a Superman movie that just so happens to have Batman in it as a secondary protagonist.

2. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Batman Returns by far the best, pretty dark and grim but fittingly so and also quite exciting, nicely fantastical, a lot of dark but fun action and character interaction. Batman isn't in it a lot but he still plays a good enough role and is depicted very well.

The only other film that comes a little close and is also really good was Batman Begins. Batman 66 and TDK were still good, BF and TDKR OK.

I haven't seen BvS (and therefore JL), MoS was OK but I don't like Affleck or Eisenberg.

3. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

4. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Nah. Each is a co-protaganist and pretty much gets equal screen-time. It does build on MoS but there is enough of the film's story presented from Batman/Bruce Wayne's point of view to make it a "duet" rather than a "guest backing vocal". Diana is a secondary protagonist, though (the "guest backing vocal").

5. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree. I picked 1989 because BvS was not a choice.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  6. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I disagree.

To use an example of how and why BvS is a Superman movie, let's look at Attack of the Clones. That film gives both Obi-Wan and Anakin "equal" screentime, but it's not Obi-Wan's movie; it's Anakin's, because he's the 'thrust' of the story.

In BvS, Superman is the 'thrust' of the story; it's his actions - and presence - that drive Lex Luthor to do what he does in pitting him and Batman against one another, manipulating events so that Superman will take it upon himself to initiate the conflict with Batman and not the other way around.

Batman is merely the 'tool' by which Lex hopes to destroy Superman and 'expose' him as a 'false God'.

7. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

If it were a Superman movie, he'd get top billing in the title.

crookeddy likes this.
  8. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Superman doesn't care about top billing, he's nice like that. ;)

9. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Having seen every Live action Batman movie, I have to go with Batman 89 followed by Batman 66. Neither are objectively good adaptations of the character (66 is too goofy and 89 is almost as bloodthirsty as Zach Snyder's garbage), but as films they're entertaining even if they're not technically great adaptations of the character.

If a movie adaptation is going to fail at adapting the character, it better at least be entertaining (same with TV shows, which is why I enjoy the Adam West Batman show even if his version of Batman is super goofy and far from my favorite incarnation). That's also why I consider Batman returns to probably be my least favorite of the 4 Burtonverse movies, since atleast Batman Forever and Batman & Robin could be "so bad its good" at times, unlike Batman Returns which is just Tim Burton going full Burton with a few Batman cameos stuck in.

A Superman movie where he only has 43 lines of dialog, equaling about 452 words, in two and a half hours (I don't know how much the extended edition added, but it wasn't that much). The guy has less lines then Arnold in Terminator 2.But, yeah, having second billing in the title, presumably a good deal less dialogue then Batman and probably fewer solo scenes then Batman (just going off my memories of the movie for that last one) all obviously leads to the conclusion that Batman v superman was definitely a Superman film :shifty:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    Admiral Archer likes this.
  10. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Batman 66. Don't care if it isn't an option.

Kor likes this.
  11. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Out of the options presented, I would go with Batman '89. To me it's a close call between Batman '89 and Batman Returns. I find that they complement each other.

I really don't like the Schumacher efforts that followed. :barf:

Kor

Admiral Archer and Galileo7 like this.
  12. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Almost nothing about Man of Steel, BvS, or Justice League suggest this version of Superman is "nice" other than him not taking over the fucking planet. There is that cute post credit with the Flash, but off the top of my head, I can't think of much more.

13. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Nobody asked anyway... :shrug:

14. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Nice thing about a discussion board, ya don't have to wait for someone to ask a direct question. ;) :D

15. Matthew Raymond

Matthew Raymond Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why does it have to be "live-action"? If you interpret "Batman Movie" as being a theatrically released movie featuring Batman as the protagonist (and not a blocky plastic approximation), then it only really adds one movie. And we already know that Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is the best Batman movie. ;)

16. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

The poll isn't just limited to live action, but live action that's been viewed by the original poster. So, its exceptionally limited.

17. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I like all of them to one degree or another (Hey, it's Batman), but my two favorites are 1989 and 1966.

18. Janeway’s Girl

Janeway’s Girl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I realize that I should have put in the other live-action movies regardless if I’d seen them but I was just curious about everyone’s opinions about the classic movies. I could have added the animated ones too but then the poll would have been huge.

If it’s any consolation, you all make me to give the 66 series and movie a go. After I do The Animated Series, which I’ve seen a lot of but never in its entirety.

19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Batman 89 and Begins are the only two worth my time. And I could probably do without Begins too.

20. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Poster's prerogative.