Favorite things about TNG

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Tribble Threat, May 29, 2020.

1. Tribble Threat

Tribble Threat Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What are your favorite things about The Next Generation?

Mine is Picard's voice, hands down. He can always give weight and class to a story. And I love Brent Spiner's performance as Data!

2. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Premium Member

He's not a thing, but Jean-Luc is my favorite part of TNG. And the entire universe (both the Star Trek one and this one). Also, I can definitely agree with loving his voice. It's the most beautiful voice ever. /totally not biased

Tribble Threat likes this.
  3. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Enterprise 1701-D Galaxy class. Which should have survived past Generations and been used in all the NG films.

4. Tribble Threat

Tribble Threat Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It sure was a nice ship, and Stewart sure is a talented actor. I also think Worf, LaForge, Yar, and Ro were quite good.

5. Xhiandra

Xhiandra Commander Red Shirt

The allegories and the main cast. All of them are likable, honestly.

6. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Great characters.
    Great actors who portrayed the characters in an excellent way.
    How TNG used the heritage from TOS and developed it to something magnificent.
    Q.

worf1965 and Tribble Threat like this.
  7. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like that ship. Life in Star Trek ain't never been that good anywhere else

Nakita Akita likes this.
  8. FederationHistorian

FederationHistorian Commander Red Shirt

Both intros (1-2 & 3-7). They are Star Trek to me.

USS Enterprise-D.

The battle bridge/saucer separation.

The holodeck/

The development of the supporting main cast.

Great characters and stories.

Qonundrum likes this.
  9. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Loved Jean-Luc, Picard most of the times was a pompous intellectual, with a sheltered vision of right and wrong. But once in a while he showed signs that the cultured gentleman was a somewhat manufactured facade, and he knew exactly what was going on around him. Picard was a treat.

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

You can't do a show this way anymore, but STNG is the only show that discussed a POV totally from a positive perspective...where the basis of even something negative was described or solved by this POV.

Mind you other Trek shows had some elements of this, and this does not describe a "utopian view", but we will never see its like again.

RAMA

11. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

The Uss Enterprise D and the uniforms

Qonundrum likes this.
  12. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

NCC-1701-D rocked. Looks far better on the big screen...

The uniforms were like TOS but vastly refined. Season 3 might remove the angled emboss atop the shoulders but the collar grew on me too.

Ron Jones and his orchestra gave so much attention to stories to make them all their own events. Even ones that didn't deserve it. The resultant style, which is loud - but confident, and not the sort of garish/over the top emotional massage that a lot of modern day shows utilize - pretty much made this series succeed even during its dimmest moments, and some really dim moments exist early on.

(And rewatching season 1, there is improvement after the first half. Season 3's revamped format ensures hitting the pop culture zeitgeist but season 1 is as underrated in spots as it is half-understandably reviled.)

• Tasha Yar
    • Ro Laren
    • Reg Barclay
    • Geordi LaForge
    • Cmdr Data (aka "Datum, pronounced "Daahtaah" by
    • Dr Pulaski
    While bizarre, since many of these characters have significantly different backstories and traits, they show - more realistically than in some other shows - surviving and contributing. None of them reminds me of my ex, which helps, but I digress.

Season 3 has a lot of names that went on to helm DS9. I do wonder if they stated more on TNG how it's latter half might have been but DS9 was definitely the show they really honed into something far more intricate... Ira and co. definitely made, erm, the best of both worlds... :D

Seasons 1-4 in particular do focus more on the adventure and strange new worlds, some of which have some similarities to situations we're dealing with. Season 7 returns largely to this after seasons 5-6 switch gears and try to be more arch-philosophic, with mixed results. But this era also had the highest ratings so people yummed it up at the time. It's amazing how things date over the decades and how perception can change as seasons 5 and 6 often feel the most dated of the bunch...

Tribble Threat and USS Firefly like this.
  13. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"The Orville" did it, but it is influenced directly by TNG writers and it's not 100% the same either.

Still, shows set new trends, innovate, or borrow established ones. There's no way "never" can't be done. Unless never can be done, in which case those are two rules that get paradoxically broken... :devil:

14. JesterFace

JesterFace Commodore Commodore

I think the D looks somehow different in 'Generations' than in the series.
    Quick look at Memory Alpha revealed something....
    QUOTE from Memory Alpha:
    "Unpacking the original six-foot model they built for Encounter at Farpoint in 1987, the ILM effects team completely overhauled the Enterprise-D. In order to stand up to high-resolution film cameras and a big screen project, the starship was repainted and redetailed, receiving a new interior lighting scheme. Once again resulting from budgetary cuts, stock footage shots of the Enterprise-D were interspersed with new model photography and CG imagery, specifically during the first captain's log segment and the start of the saucer separation sequence."

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Qonundrum likes this.
  15. NigellaDeanna20

NigellaDeanna20 Commander Red Shirt

1) Captain Jean-Luc Picard (My Telly Dad)
    2) Deanna Troi (The kind of girlfriend I wish I'd had. Loved her sense of empathy and compassion plus she was so pretty. Her character could have been written so much better though)
    3) Guinan (loved her advice and generally wisdom. Every scene between her and Picard was absolute gold standard.)
    4) The USS Enterprise NCC 1701-D ? Loved that ship.

16. Angry Fanboy

Angry Fanboy Commander Red Shirt

Just the sheer comfort it brings me, like putting on an old piece of clothing you've had most of your life. Being 'with' these people who I love and grew up with.

17. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Honestly, I know they probably sucked to wear, but I really like the uniforms. There's been a surprising amount of variation to them too, given how bland you might initially think they are. The jumpsuit, the two piece, Pulaski's frock thingy, Ogawa's maternity outfit. Ro's jacketless halter top, Picard's jackets, all the dress uniform & admiral variants.

I actually felt like they got duller after TNG. Voyager & Enterprise seemed like mechanic overalls, & the Later DS9/TNG movie black/gray ones looked like drab onesies.

It's quite an innovative notion to keep the sharp look of the TWoK uniforms, but more relaxed. Almost a halfway between TWoK & the TMP ones

Like half way between this...
    [​IMG]

And This...
    [​IMG]

Is this...
    [​IMG]

Yes Man the Great likes this.
  18. Kitty

Kitty Commodore Commodore

The characters, really, and the camaraderie among the ensemble.

19. DataLore3.0

DataLore3.0 Ensign Newbie

Data hands down is the best aspect of TNG! I also really liked the episode with the 2-dimensional creatures

20. DataLore3.0

DataLore3.0 Ensign Newbie

Reg Barclay is another really great part

Qonundrum likes this.