Poll Favorite Star Trek uniforms

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by tim0122, Mar 4, 2016.

?

Favorite Star Trek Uniform

1. TOS

24 vote(s)
    16.3%
  2. TMP

13 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. ST: II-VI

36 vote(s)
    24.5%
  4. ST: TNG Seasons 1-2

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  5. ST: TNG Seasons 3-7

18 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. ST: DS9 Seasons 1-5, ST: VOY Seasons 1-7

7 vote(s)
    4.8%
  7. ST: First Contact-Nemesis, ST: DS9 Seasons 5-7

32 vote(s)
    21.8%
  8. ST: ENT

10 vote(s)
    6.8%
  9. Star Trek (2009) and Star Trek Into Darkness

6 vote(s)
    4.1%
  1. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

But then how do you explain what Deanna Troy or Seven of Nine had to wear???

2. Six of Twelve

Six of Twelve Captain Captain

Seven of Nine was not part of the Federation crew. Her first post-Borg outfit was obviously meant to attract younger male viewers, but her subsequent outfits were toned down. And, of course, her manner and personality made clear that she was no bimbo or airhead.

As for Deanna Troi, most of her on duty outfits gave the impression that she was a civilian employee and not an Academy graduate. I was glad when they switched her to the standard uniform. As I said, I'm not s big fan of the catsuits, but at least she looked like a bona fide member of the crew after she started wearing it. And they were an improvement over the TOS uniforms.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

People always say the TOS uniforms look like pajamas. Dark pants and a turtleneck equals pajamas????

UnknownSample and BillJ like this.
  4. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The 60s female uniforms do seem a bit silly in retrospect, but for the time it was a very funky outfit. 60s women wore those sort of clothes because they thought they looked good, not because they were forced to.

5. Sgt_G

Sgt_G Commodore Commodore

Yep, that's true. And I'm old enough to remember that. But sadly, I was just a little bit too young at the time to appreciate it. {sigh}

6. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As has been stated before, often by me, this was never true. The men's uniforms were fine for the era, and by today's standard look maybe a little casual, but still work. The women's uniforms were not, I repeat, NOT, ever intended to be eye candy for anyone.

In the 1960s, skirts above the knee were brazen and far from demeaning to women. In fact, the whole intent was to force society to accept the idea that women weren't meek little churchmice, quietly doing the men's bidding and dressing to hide the fact that they were attractive. I've said recently in another thread that only those women who wanted them, like Nichelle Nichols, even got outfitted in skirts that came any higher than what today is called a midi length, just above the knee. Most were wearing the midi length. And everyone wore the "go-go" boots. There's even a closeup of Kirk's in "What Are Little Girls Made Of?"

7. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

The DS9 and Voyager uniforms were the best.

Six of Twelve likes this.
  8. fedCentauri

fedCentauri Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I could definitely see myself wearing those uniforms to bed.[​IMG]

Kev72 likes this.
  9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

TOS.

What, no option for the TOS pilots?!?

10. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

I agree. As either the wear-style of the unis from the pilots would be a good way of making the "Monster Maroons" more suitable for everyday wear (ie. "Scotty Style").

11. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I can't believe FC uniforms are winning, GO TEAM o/

12. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep. I just recently read a good article on this.

13. Six of Twelve

Midi length was mid calf - I know, I was alive then. Women of that time who worked in offices didn't wear skirts as short as the Trek uniforms, which barely covered the rear ends and were more like long shirts than dresses. A stylish business attire length would have been about three inches above the knee. Women in the armed forces would have worn just about knee length.

14. Six of Twelve

Oh, and not "everyone" wore go-go boots then and certainly not as part of professional business attire, as the female crew is supposed to be: professional women in work clothes. What they wore was more like what a female college student might have worn to a party and wouldn't have been considered professional business attire even then. Nor would an outfit so short that you couldn't easily bend over without flashing someone be considered practical attire to work in. For off duty, for a party, perhaps, but for work, no.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The material doesn't look very conducive to sleeping. A little to heavy and thick. Especially the pants.

16. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Such attire did eventually make its way to some office settings. See the last season of Mad Men (praised for its accuracy in such details).

Kor

17. Six of Twelve

I'm working from real life memories, not a TV show. And, then, as now, some professional jobs had more lax dress codes than others and things differed depending on where you lived. What flew in a liberal, creative environment in California, wouldn't have flown in a law firm in Omaha, for example. And, on average, professional dress for women was more conservative than what many people imagine the sixties to be.

18. Kor

These things come and go, apparently. I recently worked in an office where the middle-aged ladies I worked with liked to wear rather short sundresses with high-heeled sandals in the summertime. This was in a pretty blue-collar industrial area, too.

Kor

19. Six of Twelve

Was it in the South? Average climate plays a role, too, especially in Florida and southern California.

20. Kor

Pacific Northwest, where we get about three sunny days a year (that's just a bit of exaggeration, of course).

Kor