"Farragut Forward" is back on (and soon the "Starship Farragut" finale "Homecoming")

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Rusty0918, Aug 15, 2021.

1. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

The lighting looks so much better than in a lot of Starship Farragut episodes.

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Indeed. But viking biker Klingons are not aging so well. They really smack of the 80s.

3. Ryan Thomas Riddle

I, for one, am sick of viking biker Klingons.

STEPhon IT and Bixby like this.
  4. Rusty0918

Rusty0918 Commander Red Shirt

Well, "Farragut Forward" is supposed to take a more serious tone, hence the lighting is probably going to be more dramatic as we see here. I do have to say, despite the disapproval, they did do a good job with the "Viking Biker Klingons," although one has a point with makeup improvements over the years.

One thing that should be shown in this era are what Romulans are like. Apart from Saavik (who is half Romulan), we've only seen two other Romulans throughout the whole of the TMP era - Caitlin Dar from TFF and Ambassador Nanclus from TUC. One interesting thing though is that Romulans were supposed to be the villains in TSFS before they decided to go with Klingons.

5. Maurice

The main thing I’d like to see from Farragut Foward is the same thing I want to see from all Trek fanfilms: better scripts.

feek61, Daddy Todd, Firebird and 3 others like this.
  6. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Hard same.

Daddy Todd and Maurice like this.
  7. Maurice

I'd written a review of "Homecoming" which got into the issues I had with the story, but then I got to thinking that I was holding fanfilm writers to a higher standard than fanfilm actors, whom I routinely avoid criticizing. Most fanfilms are not written by professional writers, let alone screenwriters, and ergo are typically as amateur as the amateur actors I refuse to pillory.

I suppose I could more fairly take to task hold the occasional pro who writes for or consults with a fanfilm (looking at you, Gerrold), but having spoken to a couple who did, you sometimes can't blame them for any given script's failings, because they run into the amateur producer problem, where the people making the films ask for or make changes, not trusting that the writer they've engaged might know better than them how to structure a script.

As such I'm going to refrain from taking "Homecoming" to task other than to say I found the A plot was weak and unfocused and goes in three different directions without pulling things together.

8. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I guess I agree with you, Maurice (though it didn't stop me from a few general comments about the writing end...
    I have to admit I rolled my eyes when I saw yet another Klingon in the advance photos from FForward...
    Come on folks, the Farragut is most likely going in a completely different direction space-wise than the Enterprise's space sector. At least TRY to give Carter his own nemesis (nemesii?)

(maybe MY Halloween name change should have been "broken record man":hugegrin:)

9. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What I appreciated so much about Starship Exeter's 2nd and final outing TTI it invented an alien race the protagonist have a history with and we're going along with the journey; where in the 1st fanfilm was a boring, cornball prequel crap for Chang and attempting to bridge their reality closely to Captain Kirk. Taking their characters as far away from Captain Kirk's world I think they'd be better off than placing them right into the realm of The Search for Spock's era. As Bixby implied there's a lot of space out there, there's no need to retread old waters and stinking up the pond.

I would like to think these filmmakers are storytellers who admire Star Trek; there must be a story they have a passion to tell. It would be a shame to go through all of this effort just to be a vanity project to prove how better TOS movies were?

10. Rusty0918

I know there hasn't been much updating, but here's a new Behind the Scenes photo - John Brouhgton as Captain Carter in the signature "butterfly chair!"

[​IMG]

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  11. Ryan Thomas Riddle

I'm not a fan of the Monster Maroon but that's the best fan reproduction of it in a fan film I've ever seen.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that costuming looks fantastic.

13. STEPhon IT

I'm curious to know who reproduced the outfit?

14. Ryan Thomas Riddle

John Broughton, who EPs and plays Captain Carter. He's into bespoke clothing and is quite skilled at making outfits.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  15. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

The images seem to be broken now.

Kor

16. STEPhon IT

Gosh. I kinda wished I asked him to reproduce my wrap around tunic than coughing up my hard earn dollars to Anovos. :sigh:

mthompson1701 likes this.
  17. Rusty0918

Yeah, these links don't seem to last. I mean, these are instagram and FB links, and they're not fully reliable.

18. Maurice

What was that link to? Facebook?

I'm going to attempt to put a facebook link here and see what happens.

And here's an image I did a direct hotlink to for a test.
    [​IMG]
    My guess is the former link is going to remain stable and the hotlink IMG is gonna fail after a time.

19. Maurice

20. Ryan Thomas Riddle

The Starship Farragut YouTube channel says the premier of Farragut Forward: Prologue will be Thursday, 1/27.

Firebird and Danlav05 like this.