Poll Eyeglasses

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Spot's Meow, Jan 29, 2016.

?

Do you wear glasses/contacts?

1. No, my vision is fine

7.5%
  2. No, but I should wear them

7.5%
  3. Yes, I wear glasses all the time

55.9%
  4. Yes, I wear contacts all the time

2.2%
  5. Yes, I wear a combination of glasses/contacts all the time

5.4%
  6. I wear glasses for certain tasks (e.g. reading)

14.0%
  7. I have had laser eye surgery to correct my vision

4.3%
  8. Other (Please explain in your reply)

3.2%
  1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I dunno. Almost every single person I know in real life, nerd or not, either wears glasses or contacts.

It's weird that the poll is skewed so far in the favor of glasses vs. contacts, though.

2. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

^ TrekBBS membership skews male, and my impression is that contacts skew female.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Maybe...though real life experience tells me otherwise.

4. Starfleet Engineer

Starfleet Engineer Vice Admiral Admiral

It's too bad I waited so long to get glasses. I love having my sight restored to when I was 18. I only use them for driving and watching TV. Funny, I don't need them for reading. I like taking them off, putting them on, taking them off, putting them on, to see the difference. :)

5. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

My vision has always been OK, but other members of my family have always worn glasses or contacts, but each one tends to stick to either one or the other, rather than switching between both. I hope that made sense. I witnessed the discomfort of contact lenses many times. If I ever develop vision issues, I think I will go with glasses myself.

Kor

6. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The thought of poking little lenses directly onto my eyeballs freaks me out. It amazes me that so many people do it. :rommie:

7. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

You think that's freaky? I had the lenses in my eyes replaced with plastic ones in 2010 due to cataracts.

8. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

Got glasses at 46, was unable to read serial numbers and part numbers on some of the smaller instruments.
    Told the Doc to set me up with "Fire and Forget" glasses..IOW I put them on when I wake up and take 'em off when I goto bed

Contacts..not my style..

9. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I had that done on my right eye in 2000.

10. RJDiogenes

I find that less freaky, because it's a surgical procedure and it's done and it's over. I just don't want anybody's finger in my eye, including my own. :rommie:

11. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Gosh, my first thought when I found out I needed glasses was, "An accessory I have to buy? SWEET."

I wear them off and on. I am mildly nearsighted with severe astigmatism, so I really only need them for things like reading subtitles at the theater and street signs, and for night-blindness caused by the astigmatism. Sometimes I wear them because they are cute and I'm in the mood for them, other times I'm not.

I'm another who finds contacts creepy and gross. I have a hard enough time letting the ophthalmologist get drops into my eyes, let alone getting something solid in there.

12. Chekov's Phaser

Chekov's Phaser Waiting to be relevant. Fleet Captain

I love wearing glasses. It's a part of who I am, and they are a way I can express myself. Because of that I'm very picky in choosing my glasses!

I tried years and years ago to wear contacts at the doctor's office. I couldn't get the demo contacts in. Count me as another that find it strange that people are able to do that.

13. JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have been wearing glasses since I was around 10 years old. Then when I needed to wear glasses as my eyes was a little blurry. Near sighted.

I can't wear contact lenses because of....what's that word again?

14. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've had glasses since third grade (around my birthday, so I guess I was 8.)

I'm nearsighted and astigmatic, to the point where the glasses people say "we can correct for one or the other, but not for both - not completely."

I should probably have bifocals, but don't.
    I tried contacts for s short time, but my eyes are VERY sensitive to having anything in them (even a strand of eye guck will set them off, and a eyelash feels like a rock) Plus, I'm phobic about having anything in my eye, even water.

I'd like to have laser eye surgery, except for the aforementioned phobia. There's just no way I could remain awake AND keep my eye open while they poked at it without completely wigging out.

15. Bagofmostlywatr

Bagofmostlywatr Commander Red Shirt

I'm with you on that.

A mate of mine used to be the "dummy" for trainee opticians when they were doing the test to prove they could put contacts in customers eyes, take them out and show the customer how to do it.

F***. That.

16. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

It took me a while to adjust to my glasses, and once I did things were great for about a week. However, soon after my vision started to deteriorate to the point where the glasses weren't really helping and in fact things looked worse with them on. I have a bit of double vision now, which I didn't have before. I went back to the optometrist and he said my eyes have relaxed considerably, so my prescription is a little stronger now, and also my left eye has relaxed too much. Basically my right eye, which is stronger, is doing all the work and my left eye is not focusing as it should. This is why I have double vision. I have to wear an eye patch over my right eye for 30 minutes a day. :(

17. RJDiogenes

^^ I'm sorry to hear that. :( How long do you have to wear the patch?

Dry Eye?

18. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Indefinitely...basically until the left eye has been trained to focus properly and I feel like I don't need to do it anymore. He said he didn't need to see me again except for my annual exam next year, and that by then we should be able to get a much better read on the prescription needed for my left eye. Right now, it is kind of a guess as it was very difficult to give accurate answers on the test. When he would say "is 1 or 2 clearer?" all I could really say was "they look the same" most of the time.

I'm very frustrated by the whole thing because I honestly feel like just four months ago my vision was perfectly fine. The double vision is making me nauseous occasionally.

19. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    I can completely understand. This is why I could never do contacts.

The bright side is:

A. You're mildly sedated, so very relaxed
    B. Other than putting in the thing that holds the eye open and the doctor moving the flap, it's all touch free.
    C. It's all over in about 10 minutes.

I went through it twice and even though I am deathly afraid of getting things in my eye, it was a piece of cake.

20. RJDiogenes

A year seems like a long time to wait, and to deal with frustration and occasional nausea. Maybe you should see if you can get a second opinion.

Tora Ziyal likes this.