Spoilers Evil - Season 1

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Oct 18, 2019.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watched last week's this morning, and there were some interesting moments there.
    The end was definitely very interesting, I don't know if I'd says with 100% certainty the demon was real, and not hallucination, but it was definitely our most likely supernatural occurrence.
    That last scene with Kristen and her husband makes me wonder if he's going to be dying now.
    The woman killing the comedian was another big shock and then calling the cops on herself was another shocker ending for that storyline.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, there was some crazy stuff in the finale. We had the demon influencing one of Kristen's daughters, Leland and Kristen's mother getting engaged, and the whole thing with the fertility clinic. Then we get the big holy crap reveal that Kristen might be possessed at end, and that she possibly killed LeRoux.
    At first I was thinking it didn't really feel like as much of a finale as I expected, but then we got LeRoux back, and the fertility clinic connecting the whole season together.
    I just checked and Wikipedia says it was renewed back in October, which is a relief.
    So was the demon LeRoux? Or did he get in and leave the flowers later?
    I guess his presence also confirms that Kristen's dreams are real.

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I just watched episode 4, with the VR game and the psychopath boy.

The cast seems to think Rose is some pedo random, but I'm guessing it's the other established psychopath who has already threatened her children.

4. JirinPanthosa

And episode 5...

That Brenda stuff made no sense. If it was some horribly burned girl who likes messing with people, how did she know they were expecting a girl named Brenda? Unless it's again the bad guy orchestrating the whole thing, using her mother to gather intel, and then using one of his psychopathic contacts to pretend to be Brenda while he flirtatiously distracts her. But that's bizarrely intricate to the point of losing believability.

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Poor Ben...almost everyone forgets his name. The only thing about this show that doesn't work for me is Kristen's mother. She's totally irritating.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, her attitude toward Kristen and Leland is kind of pissing me off. I understand she likes Leland, but you'd think that Kristen's constant attempts to convince her he's a dangerous psychopath, would have a stronger effect on her. I could see if Kristen just didn't like him, but her feelings about him go way beyond that.

7. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

So is her mom possessed, or just smitten and blind? Did Kristen kill that guy? Is *SHE* possessed? That finale went nowhere that I expected it to, for sure.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

The end definitely seemed to imply that Kristen is possessed, but I'm not sure if she killed that guy.
    I don't think her mother is possessed, I think she's just in love.

9. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

it's hard to tell what is just cinematic imagery and metaphor and what is real in the show. Reminds me of Twin Peaks almost at times. I've wondered about the mother ever since the flaming bed sex scenes and everything was the color red.... then all the bad advice she was giving the grandkids - it seems like she is very.. uninhibited, at the very least.

Did they ever explain the "extra" girl from the slumber party in the mask?

I already feel like i need to rewatch the show to put all the pieces together.

The blood on her legs and her picking up that weapon and leaving everything off screen heavily implies she could have killed that guy. I'm intrigued.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  10. JirinPanthosa

I just got through the episode where the Incel accidentally shoots himself pretending to murder women in the mirror. That's a good resolution to that arc.

Enterprise is Great likes this.
  11. JirinPanthosa

I finished out the season. It's sure implying that Kristen is indeed possessed by are real demon and the same demon the serial killer was. Also David's vision.

This makes for a more interesting show than if it was "Religious group finds out it's actually just psychopaths".

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

One other thing that adds an interesting complication to things is that the demon appears to have some sort of influence over one of Kristen's daughters.

13. JirinPanthosa

They also made it clear with the pregnancy story that for possession you must let the demon in.

We already saw Kristen slice Leland’s neck to get him away from her children. LaReaux at least from her perspective was definitely going to murder her kids. So my interpretation is her desire to go to any lengths to protect her kids is what let it in.

I’m not sure where they are going with her daughter. But I think it’s possible the goat thingy was in her daughter, George was LaReaux, and her daughter’s demon moved into her through her desire to kill LaReaux before he could kill her daughters.

Last night I had some dreams along the line of Kristen’s in the show. I remember I figured out I was dreaming then suddenly couldn’t move and fell through the wall.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's creepy.
    What you said about the demon makes sense, it didn't occur to me that it could have passed from Kristen's daughter to her. I'm curious if there are multiple demons that look like that, or if that was the same one we saw Leland talking to in an earlier episode.

15. JirinPanthosa

I'm also now thinking maybe the goat is actually Leland's demon. Either one works.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I'm sure the goat basically successfully Palpatined her.

16. JirinPanthosa

Season 2 has started.

Do we want to start a new thread or maybe have someone edit 'Season 1' out of the thread title?

17. JirinPanthosa

Interesting season premiere. I don’t know if I need to spoiler mark because the topic says season 1. This was intended as the ongoing conversation thread for current episodes, no?

You can tell it’s streaming only by the uncensored F bombs.

We get full confirmation that she did in fact murder the serial killer. It should be interesting where that goes since even though legally it’s unquestionably first degree murder, there was also zero question that he was going to murder her children. So if she were caught they’d have no choice but to convict her but I imagine she’d get minimum sentence cause cause they come down morally on her side. A jury imagining what they’d do if a psychopath threatened their children.

They gave a scientific explanation for the cross burning her hand. I almost wish they’d just let everything be real to tell a better story.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was a possible scientific explanation, they never said for sure that the curler was on, just that if it was that would explain the burn.
    That really shocked me, I assumed they were going to leave it vague.
    Loved seeing them calling Leland on his bullshit.
    I'm thinking when Leland was staring at nothing he was talking to The Devil, like we saw him do last season, and the daughter's sharp teeth are probably connected to whatever happened with the fertility clinic.
    I'm curious how much farther they're going to take things now that they're on Paramount+ instead of CBS. We got Kristen calling Leland a fucker this week, I wonder if that will be as far beyond TV as they take things?

19. JirinPanthosa

We haven't seen her try any other crosses either.

20. JirinPanthosa

Interesting how they just established time as right at the start of COVID, December 2019 or January 2020. Wait, aren't they in New York? They should be wearing more coats outside.

I hope they don't go too nuts with the theme of "COVID as divine punishment", but I guess when you're writing a show about biblical demons and the world hands you COVID, you make COVIDade.

Anyone else think it was irresponsible to let the guy's wife go back to him when he was in that state instead of recommending she not go anywhere near him until he's back to normal?

I like though how he had the strength to just go through the motions of absolution with Leland knowing he was not truly contrite and just there to manipulate him.