Everything we know about USS Discovery's interior

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Noah_23, Jan 27, 2019.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Park them in opposite directions.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The evac corridors being made of forcefield stuck me as DUMB but it was a cool visual, as was the unfolding, which uses the same magic tech as Sulu's sword and the seatbelts in the Kelvin universe.

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs and pst like this.
  3. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    They reminded me of that scene in "2010: The Year We Make Contact" when Dr. Chandra crosses over to the Discovery...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Noah_23

Noah_23 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

And why do they perfectly match with the Ent's docking ports? Can the evac tubes come out in any pattern? the way they work suggests not. Again, it doesn't exactly bother me, but man....there were so many other less weird ways to do it haha

5. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

They are probably designed to stick to the hull and seal on the receiving end, no matter the hatch shape.
    The first part of the apparatus is probably also made to expand and contract as well.

6. Spaceship Jo

Spaceship Jo Commander Red Shirt

I presume the question was how they match the locations despite the vastly different hull shapes and angles, not the matching of the hatches themselves which would presumably be UFP standard.

7. Noah_23

Noah_23 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yep that's what I meant

Spaceship Jo likes this.
  8. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And wherever in the ship that multi-story compartment with the turbolift tracks running through it is, it's turned out to have been a "Chekov's Gun" of sorts in the season finale...and Pike, Connolly and Nhan walked under it when they came aboard.

9. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

Somebody up thread said that Part 2 put it squarely in the neck.

seigezunt and DEWLine like this.
  10. DEWLine

I'd love to know how it's rationalized in the schematics available to the writers' room. :-)

Jarvisimo likes this.
  11. Blue Squadron

Blue Squadron Captain Captain

Mostly just wherever I happen to be at the time.
    It probably isn’t in the writers’ guide at all!

Wasn’t it all added in post-production in a way that the rest of the team weren’t aware of?

We’ve seen it too many times now to hand-wave it away but as a concept it still makes absolutely NO sense to me and completely comes across as some visual FX guys being overly clever just for the sake of it without really thinking about the implications for the internal structure of the ship.

I genuinely like DSC but things like that are just annoying, mostly because it’s clear that they didn’t stop to think them through. The same is true for some of the writing.

Spaceship Jo likes this.
  12. F. King Daniel

Yep, we see a turbolift come off the rails and crash down, shrapnel from which wounds Paul while they're on the way to the shuttlebay - meaning it can only be in the neck.

Such a massive and volumous vessel having a crew of 130-200 makes much more sense if the secondary hull is mostly hollow.

13. DEWLine

Taken up with large machinery of various kinds. Shuttle and pod stowage, consumables bulk storage, sensor array support, engine components...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  14. Fateor

Fateor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The biggest thing we learned was that Discovery is much bigger on the inside.

15. F. King Daniel

At least 100 shuttles and drones....

16. serabine

serabine Commander Red Shirt

And it travels ... through ... time ...

BeatleJWOL, F. King Daniel and GNDN18 like this.
  17. DEWLine

Twenty-three numbered shuttles that we can confirm when they left Earth in 2257.

18. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very conflicted about that. There was a whole lot of dumb and a whole lot of clever shoved into a single visual.

Obviously the ships should have simply docked at the saucer section, there's a reson the Voyager (a more thought-out design) has docking ports on both sides and the front of it's saucer section. It also doesn't make a lot of sense for these spindly thingies to come out of the neck, where the least people work and it has to longest distance to cover - only for the two ships interfolding anyway. Then again, we know that's where Discovery's turbulift factory is (ugh.), so maybe is was made out of reconfigurated turbulift-parts? But then how did the crew got into the neck?

What I really DID like was how mechanical it was. It seemed multi-purpose - like you can dock at anything (though, again, the neck is kind of a dumb start point). And I really want to see more futuristic engineering and unfolding on Star Trek - real life spacecraft do it. They just never did it in the past because without CGI it's almost impossible to show stuff like that on a budget. That's really great!

But then - I would have prefered the "walls" to be just an elastic fabric. Like a spacesuit. Not force fields. That way, you don't immediately get sucked into space if one power circuit switches off for a second. I generally preffer more hardware solutions than doing everything with force-fields. So when this sequence started - I was actually quite positively surprised! Only to see them doing the forcefields anyway, and the longer I look at that spaceship-intermingling, the more wrong it looks...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    pst, Spaceship Jo and Noah_23 like this.
  19. DEWLine

Can we nail down which decks those tunnels came from?

20. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

All the Enterprise ones are on the same deck as the shuttlebay floor, save for the bowmost which is one deck up. Decks 16-17, then, assuming (as the window rows would suggest) that scaling doesn't affect deck count in the TOS vs. DSC analysis. Which really is TMP vs. DSC in the end, as only that movie bothered to be specific about the decks. Then again, the DSC bridge is on what in TOS would be Deck 2...

The Discovery ones are two and three decks up from the thick stem of the neck, or one and two decks down from the saucer bottom, FWIW. Make of that what you wish. But since there are no hints of these tubes before they emerge, on either ship, we may postulate there are tubes on every deck and these four were activated here but others might be chosen in other docking scenarios.

How many of those shuttles would be Enterprise ones, one wonders...? There was that opening shot and then the scene with the inverted camera and the workbee where it appeared as if the Discovery were the actual processing center getting these shuttles (and landing pods) combat-ready, perhaps also processing NCC-1701 ones. In contrast, the Enterprise only ever disgorged those compact "combat fliers" on screen.

Did they even bother to create a shuttle texture that would have ENT or 1701 on it? The only shuttles we see up close are Po's and Spock's, both DSC craft. (#12 and #23, respectively, but Kirk had #7 in TOS despite there never seeming to be more than two shuttles available at a time.)

I still want to market the idea that the Discovery is a repurposed shuttlecarrier hull, her secondary hull now crammed full of labs and mushroomrooms and whatnot, but her thick neck also having originally housed a big hangar (with an apparent immense square hatch on the leading edge, above the one and only row of portholes) and is now host to nothing but creatively rerouted turbolifts and impromptu logistics space. The saucer may have permanent corridors and decks and rooms in between; the rest of the ship has modules bolted together, rattling inside a big hollow cavity. Maximum flexibility for wartime experimenters in-universe; maximum flexibility for writers and VFX artists out-universe.

Timo Saloniemi

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    DEWLine, AplerEngima, Noah_23 and 4 others like this.