Spoilers Everyone's native language

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by King Daniel Beyond, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Captain Captain

But wouldn't a language that almost no one speaks become lost in such an apocalyptic event?

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

a) Wouldn't is the wrong word. It certainly could become lost, but it not necessarily would. According to Wikipedia, Esperanto has potentially two million speakers worldwide in 120 countries. Such a living language with such a widely distributed population of speakers could easily survive a war such as Star Trek's that didn't wipe out everybody; we know that much information did survive.
    b) It was a joke in the first place.

Unimatrix Q and Tosk like this.
  3. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Not canon,but should there be a Federation Standard English, Vulcan, Tellerite,etc?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  4. Skipper

Skipper Commodore Commodore

The Italian language was at least grammatically correct but the pronunciation was atrocious (for a moment I thought it was Spanish...)

5. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Commodore Commodore

I think a "Standard" should be a Standard across the entity. In this case Federation Standard is English because the Federation is HQ'd on Earth, partially in English-speaking regions (San Francisco and... France... French is somehow a dead language).

Vulcan and Tellar Prime have multiple languages in non-canon sources and common sense, but I feel that they have a primary trading language or "PLANET Standard" (Vulcan Standard, Tellar Standard, Andoria Standard, etc.) that is determined at the planetary level.

Unimatrix Q and Ronald Held like this.
  6. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Just a Chemical Moderator

Data may have called it "obscure", but it seems to be alive and well in the Discovery era. I recognized French in the scene this thread is about, and the season 1 finale had French in the Federation logo in the scene set in Paris:

[​IMG]

The lighting makes it a little difficult to read, but it says Fédération des Planètes Unies. It's a little easier to read in the original concept art:

[​IMG]

7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's also on the sign outside the building, also hard to read.