Event Horizon Series In the Works

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Vger23, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Nostalgia. I actually edited the movie novelization ages ago. Sold pretty well, as I recall.

jackoverfull and Smellmet like this.
  2. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@Greg Cox edited?
    So how many synonyms for bleeding profusely did you use? :shifty:
    The universe was interesting an ion drive to get to Neptune in semi short amount of time grav tanks that acted as stasis units. Similar to the aliens universe.

jackoverfull likes this.
  3. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think this movie could easily be adapted for the telly, like what was done with Stargate. Isn't it basically the same concept? i.e. artificial wormhole travel. In the film Hell was visited, the television programme could visit a different mythological realm every episode. The possibilities are as infinite as the writers imaginations. However considering recent trends in SF-television writing it'll probbly be a dreary rehash of the films plot stretched out to 10 hours.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The other dimension wasn't literally Hell, as I understood it -- just an alien realm so different that its conditions were hellish. At least, that's how I interpreted it. The premise always reminded me of a Greg Bear novella I read once, "The Way of All Ghosts," involving the intrusion into our universe of another universe with very different physical laws and a different kind of entropy, so that its workings were chaotic compared to ours and the effect of being exposed to it was so alien and disruptive that it was sheer agony to experience. Or something like that.

Vger23 and Smellmet like this.
  5. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

That's how I always understood it, another dimension. It was referred to as hell in the movie because that's what we humans do when we don't understand things.

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

A one season miniseries could work quite well.

In 2070, twenty-three years after the Event Horizon vanished it returns, this time in close orbit of the sun. Justin is catatonic after what happened, Starck is an alcoholic, and Cooper is pretty much a hermit, though the moment the ship appears they each know. Against Starck and Cooper's protests a recovery mission is sent to secure the ship and eliminate the threat, as such in addition to the rescue crew there are also a marine detachment, and they're going in with the knowledge of what happened to the Lewis & Clark. But will it be enough to take on the ship and the horrors it has brought back with it...

7. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It might end up looking more interesting than DISC's set design though? Hopefully? Please?

Bry_Sinclair likes this.
  8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really wanted the Spore Drive to have an Event Horizon-style engine room:lol:

Was very disappointed they did a new version of the TOS set with the Wrath of Khan chamber.

9. Orphalesion

I'm just so sick of modern SciFi, and a lot of other modern scifi to, like that abysmal Lost in Space "reboot" making half of their planets cold and snowy and looking like either Yorkshire or British Columbia (don't get me wrong BC is a beautiful place, incredibly beautiful, but not every planet has to look like Cascadia)
    And I really hate those fake-as-hell looking colour corrections they use to make the "greenery" look an alien colour.

Why can't we go to the Provence or Tuscany planet for a change?

10. Christopher

Wow, I love the new Lost in Space. And I think it does an excellent job making its Vancouver locations look different and more impressive from how Vancouver usually looks on TV.

Besides, is it worse than having every alien planet look like Bronson Canyon or Vasquez Rocks, like they usually did when shows were filmed in Hollywood?

Better that than having every planet's vegetation look exactly like Earth's, which is a tiresome trope. The first time I saw an effect like this was in Battlestar Galactica's "War of the Gods," which involved color filters in the film processing and changed the color of the actors' faces and clothes as well as the vegetation, but that could've been taken as an effect of the planet's lighting. It wasn't perfect, but I respected the willingness to try it.

What I always thought would be a good idea was to use different lens focal lengths to make the horizon appear closer or farther away, to suggest smaller or larger planets than Earth. I don't think I've ever seen that attempted.

Doctor Who has done some episodes in European locations, but it'd be hard for a show filmed in Canada or the US to pull it off. The reason so many shows are made in Vancouver, Toronto, or Atlanta is because of the tax credits that make it affordable. They can't just go flying off to exotic overseas lands on a whim.

Have you seen the fantasy show The Outpost? The first season was filmed in Utah, but after that it relocated to Serbia, and it's had some impressive location work in both regions (though it's also had plenty of scenes set in nondescript forests).

11. Orphalesion

Different tastes.
    I bitch enough about the reoccurance "Planet L. A. Area" in 90s Trek but just swapping that for endless reoccurance of "Planet Olympian Peninsula" is not exactly an improvement, just swapping one for the other.
    Again, nothing bad about BC as a place. I love it. It's incredibly beautiful and I understand why it's a popular filming site, but it's getting repetitive when it's everything from Riverdale to every other alien planet.
    Not knocking the trying, or the work that goes into it, (and really different planets having oddly coloured vegetation is something that's considered very likely among scientists) but in effect it comes over as looking very fake and oddly flat/monotone to me. I generally tend to groan at over-active color-correction in movies.
    Yeah I know about the tax credits in Vancouver (ironic considering the rent prices there...) and I don't necessarily mean they have to go to the literal Mediterranean. But from what I've read California has a similar climate(unlike BC I've never been) ? If there's a place resembling Colorado in Southern France I'm sure they can find a place resembling the French Rivera, Italy or Croatia in California.
    The North America has so many landscape types and environments, so it would be nice to see it mixed up a bit more.
    Kinda how the Narnia movies relocated from NZ to Lithuania, eh?
    No I haven't seen it, but sounds interesting. I remember how nice it was to see a Mediterranean environment in GoT.

12. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

With the increasing demand to use the virtual set that has been popularized/modernized by "The Mandalorian" I see that being a very enticing option. Also Covid-19 has really sparked a boom in it's use (The Batman)

It's the closest thing to a holo deck we have at this moment

13. Christopher

Sure, it's imperfect, but it's nice to have an alternative to every planet looking like Earth. Audiences today dwell too much on realism. This is ultimately theater. The job of fiction is to represent things; it's up to us to exercise our own imaginations to bridge the gap between the imperfect portrayal and the underlying concept it represents. I grew up in a time when FX and production values were unrealistic enough to require that kind of imaginative gap-filling, and I feel today's audiences have gotten spoiled by greater realism and have never developed that skill. For me, having a wide range of ideas on display is more important than whether they're all depicted perfectly. Because more interesting and diverse ideas are fodder for my imagination, and exercising our imaginations is the real purpose of fiction.

And as I said, I think Lost in Space does a terrific job doing exactly that. I was surprised when I learned it was shot in Vancouver, because its scenery looked so much more distinctive than what I see in other Vancouver-made shows.

Good thought. We could get some nicely alien-looking landscapes that way.

14. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree 100%. And I’m grateful, because it allows me to enjoy the older, classic sci-fi with complete ease.

15. Orphalesion

Dude, I just don't like the way the colour-corrected scenery looks. There's nothing wrong disliking a particular effect. It doesn't mean I don't have imagination. It doesn't mean I'm a stickler for hyper-realism.
    I just feel the environment in, for example, Dark Crystal:Age of Resistance looks a lot more interesting and more varied than just making a shot of trees red/blue/colour of your choice.

I must admit I stopped watching after season 1 but it didn't really look out of place for BC to me. It still has that same "sweater weather" feel.

That could really offer a lot of potential, imagine environments like the ones in Netflix' new "Alien Worlds" show and more cities like Freecloud or Corsucant.

16. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved the movie. (I always thought the Vulcan records used in STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE's "THE EXPANSE" was inspired and a direct homage to EVENT HORIZON.) I think it's possible to do a series without a high death count, but still have a high death count.

If the physical laws of the other dimension are so different, what's to say dying horribly there is permanent? What would kill us here might just be a scratch on the other side.

I always thought HELLRAISER was an inspiration for EVENT HORIZON, and I love HELLRAISER. The series can 'kill' crew members by vivisection, as an example... only to be put back together like a Mr. Potato Head and kept alive. And be done repeatedly.

(Yes, I know this sounds grim and can qualify as hell. But it's an easy way to keep a high body count but still keep going.)

I'm sure professional writers can come up with other ways of doing this besides making everyone Kenny from SOUTH PARK.

I'm interested in a mini-series, at least.

17. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From what I remember the crew went insane and pretty much done it to themselves although it seemed that ship was possessed when it came back so maybe an evil entity inhabited the ship and then drove the crew insane it may have just been unlucky 2 encounter an evil entity in that Dimension or that Dimension is filled with evil entities

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't get the impression that it was an "entity". Space itself made the original crew go crazy. Just being in that dimension was enough to set them off.

19. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

It definitely felt like the ship also became a presence, too.

DonIago likes this.
  20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yep. I acquired the rights for Tor Books, then hired Steven McDonald to write the book, based on an early version of the script. What I mostly recall, at this late date, is that McDonald's father died around the same time but he still made his (very tight) deadline. I was both impressed and grateful.