Errand of Fury - how good is it?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Julio Angel Ortiz, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

For a couple of years, I've been thinking of giving Errand of Fury a try, but haven't made the plunge. How good are the two books thus far?

And an odd side-question: who's the editor of this trilogy? Thanks.

2. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

^ It was originally a John Ordover project, and then became a Margaret Clark project after John left, but all three books were freelanced out to me to line edit.

3. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I've been told it is a good idea to read Errand Of Vengeance first, which is why I haven't read Fury yet.

4. foravalon

foravalon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So I guess the question is, is Errand Of Vengeance any good? I've seen one or two references to it in recent novels but as for the books themselves, I've heard nary a peep. Neither praise nor condemnation, apathy is usually a bad sign.

5. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The first trilogy is interesting in that it views things we saw in episodes from an odd angle. To say more would be telling. I don't remember as much of that in the 2nd series.

I think I liked the first trilogy a bit more than what I've read of the 2nd I like them both. I'll be getting the final book when it hits the stands.

6. frkcd

frkcd Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm about to finish the first entry in the first trilogy and was prepared to zip through the other two and the first two books of the second trilogy in preparation for the publication of the final book. However...I found my interest waning several days into reading. It is not bad but is disappointing.

The concept is interesting, but I found the arc of the story not as interesting as other things I've read.

Unrelated to the plot but negatively impacting my experience was how many misspelled words or additional words or missing words were present (or not!). I elected (after checking a few reviews on Amazon) not to read the others. I ended up donating them to my local library. I've got a backlog of 50+ Trek books I want to read.

Some people have loved the book/s, I didn't.

DBG

7. HIj'Qa

HIj'Qa Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I found them a little self-absorbed in the author's own take on some Trek lore. I would have appreciated a bit more integration with other work done [Donatu]. And the typos just gave the impression ex Pocket editors get a free pass

8. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have only read Book One of the Errand of Fury trilogy and I liked it. (My review from almost 2 years ago)

I haven't written reviews for the books of the preceding trilogy (which I actually read after the first book of the Fury trilogy), but as far as I remember I liked them, too.

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The first trilogy came out after LA Graf's "The Janus Gate" trilogy, and these six books were meant to kick start a "Lower Decks"-type trip through and around the eps of TOS. I actually really loved TJG but found Kevin Ryan's Klingon trilogy to be a bit too much like reading a sporting match commentary (ie. Redshirts vs Klingons). Many other readers much preferred "Errand of Vengeance" over TJG.

As for the sequel trilogy, "Errand of Fury", the first two books have been better written, with interesting developments with those few redshirts left alive after EoV, and leading up to events we saw onscreen in "Errand of Mercy". But considering the first trilogy's instalments came out almost simultaneously, this new trilogy has been separated by many months, and has lost some momentum perhaps.

10. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks for the feedback.

11. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

What specifically, if I can ask?