Episode titles with double (or more) meaning

"The Man Trap" might be a double entendre. The obvious meaning, as mantrap, denotes something that ensnares a person. In addition, the misogynistic slang term man-trap stands for a woman who manipulates a man, such as with sex (it is used, e.g., in the movie Gentlemen Prefer Blondes to refer to Marilyn Monroe's gold-digger character). The slang term seems appropriate for the form the vampire uses from Wrigley's Pleasure Planet, and also it might aptly describe the way the vampire's Nancy form is used to manipulate McCoy by his fondness for the actual Mrs. Crater.

Makes me wonder what you make of James Blish's title (likely a working title for the earlier draft script), The Unreal McCoy.

I don't think you really answered either question. As to the first, I'll readily admit that at times, I wave the white flag when confronted with things that perhaps, should be readily apparent. In this instance, if the meaning had been obvious to me I wouldn't have asked the question. I can offer a few guesses, but they don't really seem to fit the gist of what the phrase would seem to imply.
It's been a while since I read Ellison's book about the process behind the episode, but I'm willing to suggest that New York could well be the "City of the edge of Forever" in the sense that the entire future history that would unfold thereafter hinged on one event that was about to happen in that city: namely the death or survival of Edith Keeler. It was a city on the edge in a temporal sense. The title would also refer to the vast ruins in which the Guardian resided on the planet where our heroes encountered it.

--Alex

Yes, but in Ellison's first draft Kirk looks at the Guardians' city and says it's "like a city on the edge of forever", so while New York could be it metaphorically it was at one point also literally the alien city.

Last edited:
Treachery, Faith and the Great River
  1. Treachery is either Weyoun 6's defection from the Dominion, Damar's assassination of Weyoun 5 or Nog's dirty dealings with Starfleet equipment.
  2. Faith is either the Vorta's unshaking worship of the Founders or the Ferengi's belief that capitalism can solve every problem.
  3. The Great River is either the Great Material Continuum or the USS Rio Grande.

Breaking the Ice

1. Malcolm and Travis go to the comet and make their mark on the (you guessed it).....ice.
2. Trip and T'Pol no longer hate each other by the end of the episode. This begins their friendship and plants the seeds for their romance.

What worries me is the fact that double entendres they expected the adult audience to get, back then, seem to be greeted with "I wonder if there's another meaning..." now. But then my sensibilities come from back then.

Back