Episode titles with double (or more) meaning

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Reeborg, Feb 17, 2016.

1. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Makes me wonder what you make of James Blish's title (likely a working title for the earlier draft script), The Unreal McCoy.

2. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

It's been a while since I read Ellison's book about the process behind the episode, but I'm willing to suggest that New York could well be the "City of the edge of Forever" in the sense that the entire future history that would unfold thereafter hinged on one event that was about to happen in that city: namely the death or survival of Edith Keeler. It was a city on the edge in a temporal sense. The title would also refer to the vast ruins in which the Guardian resided on the planet where our heroes encountered it.

--Alex

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Yes, but in Ellison's first draft Kirk looks at the Guardians' city and says it's "like a city on the edge of forever", so while New York could be it metaphorically it was at one point also literally the alien city.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
    JonnyQuest037 and Albertese like this.
  4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Ethics:

1) The ethics of experimenting on patients.
    2) The ethics of euthanasia.

5. TommyR01D

TommyR01D Captain Captain

Treachery, Faith and the Great River
    1. Treachery is either Weyoun 6's defection from the Dominion, Damar's assassination of Weyoun 5 or Nog's dirty dealings with Starfleet equipment.
    2. Faith is either the Vorta's unshaking worship of the Founders or the Ferengi's belief that capitalism can solve every problem.
    3. The Great River is either the Great Material Continuum or the USS Rio Grande.

6. T'Arwen

T'Arwen Commander Red Shirt

Breaking the Ice

1. Malcolm and Travis go to the comet and make their mark on the (you guessed it).....ice.
    2. Trip and T'Pol no longer hate each other by the end of the episode. This begins their friendship and plants the seeds for their romance.

7. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

What worries me is the fact that double entendres they expected the adult audience to get, back then, seem to be greeted with "I wonder if there's another meaning..." now. But then my sensibilities come from back then.