"Enterprise" too advanced for 22nd Century

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by CaptainSpirk, Apr 8, 2017.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, I'll have to add that to the list.

2. Jay Everington

Jay Everington Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I don't think the basic concept of the TWC was a terrible one, but the execution could have been much stronger. And the logic of it all was never right. Which, granted, usually is a problem with time travel stories, but it was much more noticeable in this case.

I always felt like it'd be a good way to explain some of the inconsistencies away to reveal that Daniels and the Temporal Agents weren't protecting the timeline, but were basically a temporal Section 31 type organization seeking to use time travel tech for their own agenda.

3. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

That, or it was different versions of Daniels and Future Guy almost every time. They managed to change history (for them, but corrected it from our point of view) and they changed with it. Archer's crew is the only group that is experiencing time in a linear fashion in the show, thus the Temporal Cold War sides and combatants could change depending on which timeline it trying to change the events of Archer's reality. That Archer manages to "end it" might be more a simple pattern of breaking out of a period of time that can be changed. Other periods of time might be protected (be it by the future's own best interest, temporal phenomenon that prevent effective time travel to that time periods. ...The Doctor is in? Something) this after a certain event, the TCW can't effect the area anymore directly, and will have to wait until, for late of a better phrase, the time is right.

somebuddyX and Jay Everington like this.
  4. a thousand-yard stare

a thousand-yard stare Lieutenant Red Shirt

The model for that is Azimov - "The End of Eternity" 'The Hidden Years'...
    Stops the 'adjustment bureau' messing

5. CaptainSpirk

CaptainSpirk Lieutenant Red Shirt

That's what I meant, Lynx. Who cares if the current production values are meant to be more sleek and modern compared to our time, I wanted more of a TOS-style feel of the show instead of the advanced look that we got, if the show was meant to be set in a pre-TOS series.

somebuddyX likes this.
  6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I still don't get what you mean by "advanced look." If anything, the ENT tech looked less advanced to me. It was closer to the technology we have today, closer to a NASA-style design (indeed, the designers were heavily influenced by NASA cockpits, jumpsuits, and the like). It was more familiar, less exotic. The TOS technology design, once you look past the limitations on production capabilities and materials in creating it, looks farther removed from modern technology, more streamlined and simple in the way that more advanced technology tends to be, more fanciful in a way that suggests it's based on unfamiliar principles that haven't been invented yet. Same with the costume design -- the ENT uniforms were of a familiar style, NASA-type jumpsuits with zippers and pockets and baseball caps, while the TOS uniforms were more exotic and futuristic, with no apparent fasteners (the actual costumes' zippers were hidden under the shoulder seams, to imply that they were fastened by some more advanced means).

Jarvisimo likes this.
  7. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ent isn't a prequel to TOS, it's a prequel to all the shows, and a sequel to "First Contact."

8. Christopher

Also, the thing about the word "prequel" is that it's essentially a portmanteau of "preceding sequel" or "previous sequel." It is a sequel, a story that's created later and is a narrative followup and elaboration on the earlier work; it's just a sequel that's set in a time preceding the earlier work. It's earlier in terms of story events but later in terms of the narrative and creative development of the series. So it's not the same thing as just an earlier story, and it has elements that an earlier story wouldn't have.

9. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

I have many, many issues with Enterprise, but the level of technology isn't really one of them. Just like Discovery, they had to do a show that was realistically in our future while still trying to make it in the 'past' of the preceding shows. A difficult task, especially without a hand wave like the Kelvin incident to explain away changes. They did alright within those constraints.

And the area I think they did best was the uniforms. Updated NASA jumpsuits with design features of later shows which gave it a Star Trek feel. One of Trek's best costume designs, in my eye.

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

For me. "In A Mirror Darkly" cemented everything together. It brought together both the 22nd-Century and the 23rd-Century and showed that it was just a matter of different designs between the two eras and that there need not be a direct evolution between them. But as far as capability, a Constitution-class ship totally beats a NX-class ship in every way, IMO.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  11. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    Precisely precisely!

12. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

There were five series of the '60's (four of them dramas) that had definite endings:

Leave It To Beaver

Route 66

The Fugitive

The Lieutennant

Hank

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  13. Hey Missy

Hey Missy Captain Captain

Forget Enterprise, Discovery looks way too advanced to be set in the same time frame as "The Cage"!

14. Christopher

Didn't we already have this discussion?

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  15. Hey Missy

Hey Missy Captain Captain

Eehhhhhh maybe... :whistle:

16. Voth commando1

Speaking of the Cage-will the Talosians be referenced in STD?

17. Christopher

Why would they be? They were never referenced in TOS outside of "The Menagerie." And it's not like DS9 routinely mentioned stuff that was going on in TNG. We've already got TOS; we don't need to see its elements rehashed. Let DSC be its own entity.

Shaka Zulu and Michael like this.
  18. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Discovery shouldn't reference aliens or elements from others series? Isn't the series plot based on something referenced in TOS?

19. Voth commando1

You have the whole general order 4 thing still in place at the time.

20. Christopher

Where do you get "shouldn't" from what I said? I'm just saying I doubt the creators of this show will limit themselves exclusively to rehashing TOS minutiae, because that would be lazy and derivative, and surely that's the last thing we want from a Star Trek revival. As for Talos IV in particular, the events of "The Cage" were highly classified by Starfleet, so I very much doubt the crewmembers of the Discovery or Shenzhou will be chatting about them around the water cooler.

Nyotarules, Shaka Zulu and Jarvisimo like this.