Enterprise D should not be the flagship

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Nyotarules, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also Simon Tarses, the Romulan/Vulcan medical tech from The Drumhead
    Data is an alien, from an alien world, not human.

2. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

His goal is to be more human

3. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

By that thinking, once Earth did become a "powerhouse" shouldn't the Federation Council have moved to a different Federation Member world?

One with no measure of specialness?

4. Mojochi

What's great about him is that despite a goal of trying to be like humans, he never denies that he isn't. He fully acknowledges what he is. No matter how much changes about him. That will never change. He's actually said so himself... I think it was in Hero Worship.

5. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Data was created by a human from Earth who moved to a human colony, and was built to look human, so he's a fake human.

SolarisOne likes this.
  6. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

If they felt the need to at that point, sure. Initially it was a matter of trust. No one trusted anyone so they gave it to the easily conquerable, or dismissible, humans. By the 24th century, the humans and the union overall is trusted and stable so changing capitals isn’t a priority? Though in my head canon, there is no one capital world and different branches of government or departments of Starfleet are spread on multiple ...one nova bomb shouldn’t be enough to decapitate a civilization.

7. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't forget the dolphins on the Enterprise D. They're not human!

Kor

8. Mojochi

But he's also his own type of life form. He is endowed with life. That makes him something real. He may in fact be an artificial human, but in creating that, a new living thing was created also, a not human thing

9. Prax

But they're earthlings... 1/2 point, like the fake human

Kor likes this.
  10. Tenacity

According to Journey to Babel, in the 23rd century the members still didn't.
    What was said on screen to make you think the various federation members now felt trust and stability toward each other, I mean what had really changed?

I never got the impression that the members even liked each other.

Starfleet didn't even typically have completely mixed crews. The Defiant was the odd one out, the feature characters on TNG were humans, half humans, an artificial human, and one klingon.

Perhaps the federation was more a inconvenience that served a purpose.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  11. Arpy

Or maybe we're about to begin a frequent conversation on the effects of makeup budget on crew diversity? Look at the greater mix on DSC.

12. Tenacity

At minimum, all it takes to depict a alien on Star Trek is to indicate that a character is non-Human.

Full Betazed involved only dark contact lenses, many aliens didn't even require that much.

13. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

Those who say that Enterprise-D shouldn't have been the flagship must have been happy after what happened in 'Generations'?

14. Nyotarules

ITA, makes sense

By the 23rd century the whole of San Francisco should be operated by Starfleet Academy, how one small human city, (46.89 sq miles) can train the whole of Starfleet that defends a trillion member UFP does not make sense.

15. Nyotarules

Keep those pesky Klingons and Romulans out!

16. Tenacity

Build that wall ... err, neutral zone.

17. Arpy

Hmmm..I thought Klingons, Romulans, and Federation members could pass through the Neutral Zones, but their armed ships couldn’t. Or is that just in the Cardassian “Demilitarized Zone”?

18. Prax

Only when they were feeling frisky

19. Tenacity

Maybe that was the case.

My interpretation was both the Federation and Romulans sides of the NZ were hard borders to each other, no traffic at all was legally allowed (just smugglers and spies?). Nor could either send any ships into the neutral zone between the borders. Now any civilizations located inside the neutral zone itself probably could enter the Federation, with a degree of suspicion that they could be Romulan agents. I wouldn't think the Romulans would want anything coming in.

The TNG episode Face of the Enemy made it sound like going from the Romulan side to the Federations side was difficult.

The Klingons might be different, the border between the Federation and the Empire wasn't establish by a treaty following a war and could be more open civilian traffic. The Klingons don't seem to be the most officious of people.