Enterprise D should not be the flagship

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Nyotarules, Aug 6, 2019.

1. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I've opinned on this subject a few times, Here's a reasonable explanation I've come up with ( and of course litteral IRL reason of.. Money for makeup on a TV budget)
    Starfleet is a mostly human show because.. "Drumroll" Humans are the most adventurus and risk taking speices in the Federation.. So in my mind, humans join starfleet by the boat load, as compared to say andorians or vulcans etc. and so make up the bulk of federation crew..
    May also be that alot of the other speices just dont have a reason to serve in starfleet.. Maybe a pacifist spieces, or they concentrate more at home, or they join the local Home Fleet, or there incapbable of operating comfortably in a Earth type environment, without an environmental suit of some kind. example, Homeworld gravity is low so hurts to serve in 1G, or gravity is high and has other detremental effects, or aquatic or gas cloud, or to small, to big for the decks.. whole slew of reasons.
    Now, we see mainly human ships, but there are ships that cater to a single species, say the vulcans and the intrepid, or a water ship for aquatics, or a larger ships for a 3 meter tall speices.. etc. Weve only seen a handful of ships.. :)

Spectre Of The Fun likes this.
  2. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Thought I one saw mention in the TNG technical manual about cetaceans aboard the Enterprise but I must have imagined it as I could never find it again.

3. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I believe Cetacean Ops is in the blueprints.

4. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I also remember reading about the Dolphins, they are part of the navigation department.

But it doesn't help the OP, they're still Terran!

5. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

<optional Homer Simpson voice>Or ARE they?</oHSv>

Seriously, spoons, there's something going on between humpback whales and superpowerful space aliens. Who can really tell about the dolphins? I say, never trust a species that smiles by anatomic default!

Timo Saloniemi

6. Spectre Of The Fun

Spectre Of The Fun Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am also rewatching and I am on season two. I think I discovered why humans still seem to dominate Federation ships and outposts decades and decades after TOS (you must not have watched close enough).

In Manhunt no less than Ambassador Lwaxana Troi tells Captain Picard "A toast to Earthmen, who despite their many faults, have that unique ability to charm women of all races in all corners of the galaxy."

So speaking as an Earthman I have to say that yeah despite our many faults I can see why all Federation species decided Earthmen should be on Federation ships and installations in large numbers. And with our "unique ability" to charm women of all races where we go our Earthwomen naturally follow. Hence lots of humans to be seen.

Truly we make the best representatives of the Federation. Put your best people forward. You want nasty Tellarites pissing off everyone they make contact with? So you see it is all very simple. And who could argue with a daughter of the Fifth House, holder of the Sacred Chalice of Rixx and heir to the Holy Rings of Betazed? Not Picard. Not me.

Jokes aside I liked your post but thought others offered some plausible answers to your question and didn't have anything to say. When I rewatched Manhunt and got to the Lwaxana quote I thought of your post and could not resist a light response. No animals were harmed testing my lame jokes.

Mojochi and Nyotarules like this.
  7. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

It shouldn't be the flagship because it doesn't regularly have a flag officer (Admiral) aboard.

Kor

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  8. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

I've sometimes wondered if Picard is actually an "officer of flag rank" (eligible but not appointed to a flag billet) and wears the duty uniform (but not dress uniform) of a captain because that's his preferred and current billet. While there is no precedence for this in the US Navy, this has been the recent precedence for COs of Royal Navy flagships (especially the current HMS Queen Elizabeth) and was IIRC historically true for the CO of the Royal Yacht.

GiovanniBlasini and SolarisOne like this.
  9. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

Ok I will look out for that episode

So no one at Federation HQ notices after 200 years of its existence that Starfleet and the USS Enterprise are still teeming with humans and most of the admirals running the show are humans?
    In universe is there an unconcious bias against non humans, if in ENT under Earth Starfleet the first human ship to go out into deep space, The Enterprise with a crew complement of 70 something people had 90% of the crew being white, human males from mainly North America there would be talk in the Earth Parliament.
    The ship would never leave the system.

10. gakelly

gakelly Commander Red Shirt

Well, the Guild Navigators are hidden in engineering. There is a large supply of the spice melange in cargo bay 6.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure there's a Next Gen episode where they say there are 13 species represented on the Enterprise.

Human
    Betazoid
    Klingon
    Android(?)
    Bolian
    Bajoran

Umm... anyone remember any others?

12. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, in "The Chase" there are seventeen people aboard who come from non-UFP planets. Seems the ship is supposed to be quite inclusive, even if all seventeen are Bajorans...

Species actually seen aboard also include Vulcans, Benzars (temping only, but still), half-Napeans, part-Romulans, and assorted unidentified bumpheads. Species mentioned... That was more DS9's gig, but anybody remember any juicy bits for the E-D?

The "thirteen" thing is from "Reunion", BTW:

So, actual crew from 13 planets, all of which may be 100% human Earth colonies for all we know. And that's specifically excluding visiting Klingons, and probably excluding Worf, too. Pretty narrow, compared with the other data. But the crew complement changes with time...

Or is Picard saying that there are 13 onboard clerics from 13 planets for representing 13 faiths, and the rest of the crew can choose from among those?

Timo Saloniemi

13. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

Reminded me of this....

https://imgur.com/gallery/wpZ4w

14. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

DS9 almost seemed to make a joke out of mentioning distinctive alien features without actually showing them - transparent skulls, 3 eyes, males pregnant with tons of eggs and needing time off. :lol:

15. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Picard does wear a captain's dress uniform.

The captain of HM Yacht was usually a commodore (or commodore 2nd class before 1958) and wore that uniform. The case of Jerry Kyd was somewhat unique; he was more of a senior executive to manage the massive project of building and running-up the first aircraft carrier built in Britain in almost 40 years. I don't know why it was necessary to reduce his nominal grade, but in any case, in operation with the fleet Queen Elizabeth will be commanded by a captain.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  16. Shamrock Holmes

You may be right about Britannia, I admit that I'm having trouble locating the source for them typically being Rear Admirals, however I'd be interested in your source that the QE CO will hold the substantive rank of Captain, as the first "sea trials" CO Nick Cooke-Priest was also a substantive Commodore (but titled Captain), although it's unclear which substantive rank his replacement Steve Moorhouse holds.

17. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Humanity has evolved to the point mainstream sci-fi can throw in 6-digit figures to make a far more "balanced" crew of a dozen species for a 30 episode season... oh, wait... for a 10 episode season they can barely do more than one or two aliens caked in synthetic materials, some of which cause allergic reactions and leaving them out (aka Dax), never mind the actors spending 4 hour shifts getting into all that latex and stickygloo. Odo didn't often shift shape and Yaphit showed up even less. And those shows up to now with their meager budgets did a lot of work to get people today to be more expansive.

But the show is taking enough time and money to show alien-like appearances, the spirit is willing but audiences have to do their part too. I'd rather see money spent on better things after a point. Pretend some of them aren't humanoid? Some episodes hint or state offscreen crewmmbers, it's not due to species-ism, it's due to production costs. Where's the PO Box, I'll donate.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Gonna file this under “Who Cares?”, it is a TV show not a glimpse at a realistic future.

Ryan Thomas Riddle likes this.
  19. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sorry, I have to withdraw that, that was something I read years ago and can't find it now. Moorhouse is also a commodore, actually senior to Cooke-Priest. So the same pattern is being followed. Now I have even less idea of why the grade reduction is necessary.

As for the royal yacht, the commander royal yachts or flag officer royal yachts has been as high as a vice admiral. The position was more of a high level aide to the king/queen or naval courtier, and I believe the commander aboard handled most of the running of the vessel. But I am not aware of any royal yacht commander wearing the uniform of a lower rank.

Sir Archibald Berkeley-Milne as a commodore first class on Victoria and Albert:
    https://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/portrait/mw250571/Sir-Archibald-Berkeley-Milne-2nd-Bt

20. Shamrock Holmes

As I understand it, their paygrade is unchanged (they are still paid as commodores), however they wear the uniform of a captain because that is their billet. Interestingly, RN captains also wear the same mess dress uniform as commodores and admirals, which may be the inspiration for Picard wearing the same "dress white" style as admirals (also worn by Ross in DS9's IASL), rather than the grey-faced "senior officers" style.