Spoilers ENT: Rise of the Federation: Live by the Code by Christopher L. Bennett Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Defcon, Mar 20, 2016.

?

Rate Live by the Code

1. Outstanding

19 vote(s)
    33.9%
  2. Above Average

26 vote(s)
    46.4%
  3. Average

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  4. Below Average

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  5. Poor

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's a bone club, yes, but I'm not sure about the rest. I asked KRAD if he knew of a suitable type of weapon, and that was his suggestion. According to him, it's "a club made out of the leg bone of a klongat," whatever that is.

2. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

It's the animal you make a HomneH from, of course.

Corran Horn and loghaD like this.
  3. loghaD

loghaD Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Excellent; thanks for the quick response! I'll keep an eye out for mentions in KRAD's works!

For the curious, Memory Beta has a good page about klongats.

4. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

Preview of the book (first few chapters and epilogue) on amazon.co.uk; is what T'Pol does (admittedly with pages absent) in Chapter Two to the Orion lady legal? It felt very much like Stan Beeman in season one of The Americans at the store; but equally it's ok for our characters to be slightly bad ...

In any case, interesting so far!

5. Christopher

Okay, it bugs me that they're posting previews from the epilogue, of all things. I'd appreciate it if people wouldn't read that part before they've read the whole thing.

Markonian likes this.
  6. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

I ordered my kindle edition and it downloaded today, looking forward to reading this, the series 'Rise of the Federation', is enjoyable to read, much better than the TV show.

7. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I picked up my copy on Saturday, and so far I'm finding it's somewhat mixed. The Vol'Ralla sections I'm loving, but then the parts with Phlox and the rest of the Enterprise TV series crew I'm finding are really [holds nose with two fingers].

8. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

UPS brought my copy from Amazon today; I'm looking forward to reading it.

9. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It came down on the the wireless this morning. I've just finished Last Light so I'll be starting this shortly:)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  10. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just got this in, can't wait to dig in.

11. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Got it at midnight. Spent most of the day reading. I love the book, and every one of the storylines. One of the great assets of the series is, it's not just a lone starship with the planet of the week, but multiple locations, ships, and story lines.

Great idea to include a ships/crew list at the very end!

Plot-free spoiler on ships:
    Yay, more Columbia-class starships! I love the theme of naming them after notable space craft. Especially including the Buran. It's been a year-long hope of mine that the Soviet space shuttle would gain some recognition among the ranks of the NX class, and I saw it dashed when the NX-07 was named Intrepid (TNG: Indistinguishable from Magic). The timing is also perfect, because Eaglemoss just released a model of the refitted SS Enterprise. The intro page calls it "Columbia class".

12. Christopher

Neat!

13. Willow

Willow Captain Captain

Just finished! Very nice! I enjoyed it. The ending says that the Rise of the Federation will continue" . Is there a time frame for that?

14. Briet

Briet Lieutenant Red Shirt

I really enjyed the book, it was interesting trough and through.The only minor complaint I can come up with, that there was a bit too much rehash for me in the first half.

I quiet enjoyed the inclusion of all the ship classes, I always loved the Poseidon class from Legacy. And the dipiction of the seemingly impossible situation for Archer toward the end felt very real. And don't get me started on the latest Essex tease, it is downright cruel now :)

It definitly warrants a second read, as i powered trough it yesterday just to finish it. Gave it "Outstanding".

15. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

I'm on chapter 6 reading about Vaneel's wedding, love how alien the customs and the Denobulans are. And the hint for why you don't hear much about Denobula in the post ST ENT universe. And the hint about the Andorian situation that comes back to haunt them! It is why I enjoy the novels way more than the TV shows, they were too Western-Terrancentric.

16. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Finished this yesterday. I enjoyed it but it didn't work for me as much as the other books in the series. Not sure why - it did feel like there was more jumping about than previously and didn't feel as focused as the last book.

These books are tough for me as I never liked Enterprise but the author has done a great job of keeping me engaged with the characters for the most part. This time maybe just the mix of characters who were getting most of the attention weren't as interesting to me.

Not a bad book by any means just not up to the same standard as the previous ones for me.

17. Willow

Willow Captain Captain

Hmm..maybe this was my problem, I enjoyed it, though not as much as the others. And though I enjoyed some of the Andorians (am I wrong for kinda shipping Thanian and Reed?) I am not a Klingon fan. And I eventually grew to enjoy the little Denobulan plot, but it took me awhile. It may have been because I was jamming through the book, feeling a little disappointed the it took SO long to get to some Trip/T'Pol resolution. How many books has it been since they've had contact?

Enjoyed the beginning of the Val/Sam romance. Now, would that make them Jim Kirks grandparents?

Speaking of Trip..bout damn time he came out from the cold and questioned his allegiance to the NSA..err....Sedtion 31. Good on my girl Hoshi for having figured things out back when he was Lazurus, and gnot etting all whiny and pissy like Travis. I miss Kimura though. And it would be nice to know if Devna finally helps bring down the Three Sisters. With all the stuff Trip has had to do over the years, and how bad he may feel, he did lay the groundwork for Devna's transformation.

I liked that there was a lot of moral grey area regarding the Ware. Not everything in life is black and white.

And it was a nice twist with Archer and the Prime Directive...considering he was the first Captain out in deep space mucking things up.

18. Christopher

It's not firm yet, but the plan is sometime in 2017.

I initially considered coming up with a more drastic explanation, maybe something similar to what David A. Goodman posited in Federation: The First 150 Years (that they were devastated by a Klingon attack and retreated from space), but I decided there was a simpler solution. Given what ENT had canonically established about their preference for clustering together on a single continent, it stood to reason that only a minority of them would be inclined to wander far from home.

That's something I generally try to avoid. I particularly enjoyed writing the Vol'Rala material, to try to give a feel for what a Star Trek series told from a nonhuman perspective would be like. (Which is why I'm glad that ship is on the cover.)

That's a fair criticism. I did feel I was tackling rather a lot of threads. I tried to simplify it West Wing-style by telling a lot of it from Archer's POV back at Command, but there was still quite a bit going on -- even with the threads from the previous books being mostly deferred for the moment. It'll probably be a good idea to tighten the focus more in the next book.

That never occurred to me. They haven't really interacted much, as far as I recall, since they're on different ships (starships, that is). Although there were a couple of other same-sex ships I mentioned over the course of the novel. I didn't plan it that way, but there are characters in this book covering all four initials of LGBT.

Two, since Tower of Babel, I think.

Great-grandparents. George Kirk's father was named Tiberius, per the 2009 movie.

I felt it was important to do something different this time. And it made sense in the context of the material from To Brave the Storm. Besides, Hoshi is awesome.

I do plan to revisit the outstanding story threads sooner or later. I wanted to take a break from the Orion stuff (and Garos and Sauria and such) for a couple of books for variety's sake, but nothing has been abandoned.

I don't really see it as a twist, since T'Pol was convincing Archer to practice non-interference as early as season 1. In fact, one of my big disappointments with ENT is that Archer and T'Pol were too committed to non-interference from the start, so we didn't really get a chance to see Starfleet captains acting without the restraint of the Prime Directive -- and making the kind of mistakes that would logically have led to the Prime Directive. That's one of the main threads I wanted to explore in this series, although it's come to a head sooner than I expected.

19. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Might get my copy next week unless USPS somehow turns speedy.

20. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope my copy will arrive in the mail this week.