elite force 2 vs elite force 1

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by tmosler, Dec 8, 2013.

1. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

High I was wondering if someone who has played both elite force and elite force 2 could tell me which one they think is better. elite force 2 has slightly better graphics but how does it compare overall to elite force. Also do you know if the expansion pack to elite force is any good?

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

EF2 is more of the same. I enjoyed both EF and EF2 very much and recommend them, if you liked Half-Life 1.

All the expansion pack is is a walkaround the ship mode (only the areas from the main game + the computer core), where you collect action figures of the crew and read some personal logs and two Captain Proton levels. I was very disappointed with it.

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

As I recall, the Expansion Pack has a *few* new levels beyond the walk-through mode (which was kind of fun), but, yeah, it was a little disappointing.

It did add Jeri Ryan's voice to the game, though, which meant it had all the Voyager regulars (at the time, so no Kes) in it.

EF2 is generally less well-regarded, but I had fun with it. I recall the mission on the outside of the hull being fun, although it's been ages since I've played it.

4. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Other than the natural technological advantages and additional features the sequel had, I think the first one was better.

As for the expansion pack, I say don't bother. It's not worth your money.

Activision later made her voice available for free as part of the latest official patch for the game, so that shouldn't really be taken into consideration when deciding whether or not to buy the XP.

5. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For my opinion, EF2 looked a better but overall I enjoyed playing EF1 more (Both in single player mode - I didn't try multi so much)

6. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

EF2 also has a bloody annoying mission halfway through where you manually control the Ent-E's torpedo turret and have to target an enemy ship whilst shooting down its torpedoes. It can be touch-and-go whether you can manage it, and there is no way to progress the story otherwise.

And, because it's the Ent-E's hull you need to keep intact, not your own health, God Mode or similar cheats don't help.

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

EF1 and 2 are blurred together in my memory. EF2 was the one with the insects, wasn't it? Can't remember what EF1 was about.

There was a nice short TWOK homage, I believe in EF2. The Enterprise is surprise attacked, and the bad guy shows up on the viewscreen like Khan did.
    Also a nice mission on an Excelsior class. And I remember having multiple of those Super Mario Bros. heart attacks where you need to solve a puzzle to stop the Enterprise warp core from breaching.

8. F. King Daniel

I remember the secret side-scrolling Mario Bros. tribute level in EF2, complete with bleepy music. It was on the alien space station, IIRC.

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, I remember that.

10. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

I don't remember the Mario brothers at all! What are You on about?

11. F. King Daniel

Search for "Mario" in this walkthrough for how to get to it. A video of the level can be found here.

12. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

Thanks for the video link. I had no idea! Really good to be surprised by agame that's 11 years old!

13. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've never played EF2, but the first game is among my top 5 Trek games ever. Not that it's that big a list or anything. :p But it just perfectly captured the feeling of 'being' inside an actual episode.

I managed to pick up the expansion pack for only like a couple bucks at a thrift shop, so it was a no-brainer to me. :D While I thought the actress who did Seven in the original did quite a good job, is it nice having Jeri in it as well. Was there a reason they couldn't get her first time around? :confused:

14. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    I enjoyed EF1 more.

And, I must admit, I was a bit annoyed that I couldn't be a girl again in EF2, because Alex was a bloke by default.

15. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

That's the reason why I didn't pick it up the second one.