El-Aurian vs Q

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by willprot, Sep 29, 2021.

1. willprot

willprot Cadet Newbie

Was just rewatching the episode Q Who, where Q is clearly concerned, even a bit fearful of Guinan. With both these characters seemingly to debut in future episodes of Picard I am hopeful to find out more, that said, I came here curious of theories about their encounter.

Without anything else to go on I can only assume the El-Aurian race has the ability to displace a Qs power.

Considering the fact it's not magic it is in fact science, and while El-Aurian are called listeners, in the episode Yesterday's Enterprise, it's clear Guinan's perceptions stretch far beyond time and space. With that, it would make sense that El-Aurians could perceive the science behind Qs wielding their power.

That along with the fact that she has encountered Q before and still raises her hands in a defensive stance would further indicate that she believes she does in fact have the ability to counter Q's powers when directed toward her.

The reason I like this theory is because it would fit squarely within everything that's already shown canon.

While El-Aurians are long lived they wouldn't be very powerful. As such, a ballistic attack from the Borg would be devastating, however when facing a Q directly being able to displace said Qs power would effectively render the Q mortal (to a degree) during that time. This ability would be very troublesome and something to be fearful of as a omnipotent being.

If that were the case, in an episode such as Yesterday's Enterprise it would be nice to know if the longer an El-Aurian was in an altered timeline if their perceptions would become more clear as time progressed, and what level of displacement they had against said powers.

At any rate that's just my theory and I'm curious to hear others of why the Q was clearly on guard against Guinan. Either way perhaps we'll see more in Picard

Unimatrix Q likes this.
  2. Alice_27

Alice_27 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I've always wondered about Q & Guinan's previous encounter(s). Your theory is interesting & I'm hoping this is explored as Picard continues.

3. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

I do think they'll address it and perhaps explain their background a bit. Guinan might be special because she was/is in the nexus. She also didn't seem surprised at all when she met Data from the future. Why Q called her an imp and not what she seems to be is one of those mysteries I'd finally like to get some answers for ;)

Leto_II and Tim Thomason like this.
  4. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd also like to know what she called herself when they met. He didn't know her as Guinan, but that's the same name she went under in the 1800s.

Unimatrix Q likes this.
  5. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I always wondered about that scene. The way she raised her hands up against Q as if to defend herself from some action he might take.

Unimatrix Q likes this.
  6. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't mind if the gesture is never explained and Guinan never had any superpowers - this might simply be the El-Aurian way of flipping the bird or crossing oneself.

However, I would be delighted to learn of the shared past of Guinan and Q, and of the other name she went by. Guinan doesn't need a superpower to cow Q: her sharp tongue ought to suffice. After all, that's all that Picard or Janeway ever had. Although I can see Guinan also punching Q in the face, Sisko style.

Timo Saloniemi

7. darrenjl

darrenjl Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If El-Aurians can detect shifts to 'alternate' universes why have they never been agitated by the endless changes to the timelines throughout the entire Star Trek canon? Janeway's actions in Endgame would have surely made all El-Aurians across the Galaxy vexed in confusion, even if the 26 years journey was the 'wrong' timeline and the 7 year journey was the correct one.

Going back to Q, it makes me wonder if the Q purposely made the Borg assimilate their species and scattering them. Otherwise how would they be a threat to the Q and not to the Borg? Maybe Q removed a piece of technology or wiped their entire memories of Borg-defending technology.

Unimatrix Q likes this.
  8. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The secret to this feud can be found alongside the mystery of the Lost island...

9. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Guinan was the only El-Aurian we ever saw in TNG. So at the time, we as viewers made the reasonable assumption that all El-Aurians must have that kind of sense that she had in "Yesterday's Enterprise." But retroactively, Guinan's sensitivity to timeline changes can be explained by her connection to the Nexus, which we didn't find out about until GEN. I vaguely recall that the GEN novelization might have said something about that being why Guinan "knows things." And I think the novel "Engines of Destiny" went along with this idea, though of course the books are not "cannnnon."

Kor

Dryson, Leto_II, Hawku and 2 others like this.
  10. Mondragon

Mondragon Commander Red Shirt

Re: from the other thread-
    QUOTE="Mondragon, post: 13753687, member: 79311"]

I always thought they were threatening to tickle each-other into cosmic annihilation.
    These (supposed all powerful beings) looked so silly just standing there claws out, with nothing going on between them!
    [​IMG]
    I'm surprised in the 30 years since, nobody has digitally revisited the scene to at least add some cracking force lightning, or crazy chi energy building up in their palms, or something! . :)

Also when she pops out from behind the counter. :D
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Writers: We need a great shot, Suddenly she pops out of her own ridiculous hat!
    Producers: Yeah that's stupid, and we can't afford it either, just have her pop out from behind the counter!
    Ok!
    [/QUOTE]

Looking forward to the next GQ encounter!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
    Unimatrix Q and Saul like this.
  11. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]
    As always Star Wars gets the fame for something that Star Trek did first! Did George Lucas spend the years leading up to the original Star Wars Trilogy watching TOS, and the years up to the Prequels watching TNG? :lol:

(minor spoilers for Picard Season 2 from trailer)
    Maybe Q's interactions with Guinan are a timey-wimey thing where she first meets him in the 21st century with him already hating her and she not yet knowing who he is. Then due to this antagonistic incident in Picard, Guinan later attacks a younger Q when she finally meets him with young Q not knowing who she is. Thus making their entire feud an ontological paradox (something that actually has no origin due to time travel)

They should also do the timey wimey stuff with her interacting with Picard in the 21st century, if she does.

Guinan: You told me you’ll see me in 500 years! It’s only been 100! :wtf:

Picard: And you never told me about this meeting period! What else did you know about my future that you never told me?

Guinan: Don’t ask me, that hasn’t happened to me yet.

Picard: :(

12. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Interesting that Q does show some concern at Guinan. Obviously the Borg don't share that concern but there is an interesting thought: did the Borg assimilate any residual abilities El-Aurians has to defend against Q. They wouldn't have bothered assimilating them if they had nothing of worth to add to the collective.

13. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

I think it's pretty clear that Guinan couldn't prevent Q from doing what he did. Otherwise, she would have stopped Q from whisking them off to that fateful meeting.

14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

She was caught off guard. Their powers are different in kind, I think.

DonIago likes this.
  15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I get the feeling that when Guinan was first introduced, the writers really had no idea what she was, or what to do with her. For all we know they were actually planning to make her a Q herself!

I mean, as we now know, Q could have turned Guinan into a frog if he felt like it, so that initial encounter has been rendered pretty much moot.

16. Scionz

Scionz Commander Red Shirt

My theory since they announced the show was going back to the early 21st century (the presence of Guinan and Q being in it some time before) is that we're going to see the "dealings" that were "3 centuries ago" that Guinan and Q referenced in "Q, Who?". I think the Guinan in the show is going to be a pre-Nexus "past Guinan" (like Time's Arrow) who is still on earth in the early 21st century and she'll help Picard (who she already knows) and friends via whatever means she has. And her encounter with Q that she'll reference in "Q, Who" will be the 2399 Q.

There is no reason to think that we've ever necessarily encountered Q in linear order, or that he exists in as a linear sense. He could exist at all time, simultaneously and that accessing points in the time stream is just a matter of him turning his attention to it. And we've seen in Voyager in "Q2" that he can do things for years while minutes pass in the Prime Timeline. For Q, the leap between "All Good Things" and Picard Season 2 is as quick as the snap of a finger.

So I'm thinking that's how it's going to go down, and we won't see 2399 Gunian encounter Q. We may not even see her at all except in at the end of the story or something to wrap it all together.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  17. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If they go that route, my money is on a CGI deaging of Goldberg and probably de Lancie as well, for one brief scene.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

They were lovers and it didn't end well.

Therin of Andor likes this.
  19. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can imagine, after seeing Q's lovemaking technique in The Q and the Grey.

dupersuper likes this.
  20. Alice_27

Alice_27 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Just the comments I needed to read after a particularly L-O-N-G day of work. Cheers :beer:

Turtletrekker and Tim Thomason like this.