Effects updates you'd like to see for TNG-remastered.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by t_smitts, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I remember that quote. Unfortunately it's inconsistent with everything we know about Data not aging.

I agree, but I think it's highly unlikely they will use anything other than the original footage of the Bozeman.

I would too, if only to see what model they used for it. I'm betting it was the Erstwhile. Of course, for this one scene they could create a new ship, one that would actually look like a Starfleet vessel, based on its class designation in the Encyclopedia.

But Vor'chas would still not be large enough to cover the wingspan of the Warbirds as those BoP's do in that scene. They'd have to create an even larger Klingon ship to match the sheer size of the Romulan ships.

Seconded.

That, I could care less about.

I would love to see more wrecked ships at Wolf 359, and clearer shots of the decommissioned ships at Qualor II.

2. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm hoping they do that for Harry Potter

3. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

How about creating a special edition of this episode "Pegasus" where they create a special version which incroperates elements from TATV. :P

Just kidding.

4. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Um...we saw him age. And in AGT he added grey to his hair. The only thing we know about Data not aging is that was the excuse to kill him off at the end of Nemesis.

5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

^He pretty much stayed consistently the same age (thanks to makeup) for the run of TNG and the movies. And dying his hair white didn't affect his age. Plus,at one point (the episode in question escapes me) he did mention feeling hesitant about outliving his friends, making new friends, and outliving them too. That doesn't sound like the words of someone who thought he aged like a normal human.

6. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think Data aging and Data having a maximum life span are the same thing. Granted it may be strange having an android walking around that looks 900 years old...

7. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I actually think that would be pretty cool. I know I'm in the VAST minority here though!

8. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm not normally one for changing things but I'd be ok with them replacing the old Oberth class model used for the Pegasus with something new.

9. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Huh. I don't remember Data being referred to in that line.

10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

No one ever said he aged like a normal humn. Just because his appearance changes subtly over time, doesn't mean he will look a human 900 when he gets to 900. And who knows, he may be able to reset the program to 'start from scratch' if he wants.

Nevertheless, it's there. You can check if you don't believe me...I won't be offended. ;)

11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

The line was a comparison between Data and Juliana. Juliana, like Data, will grow old just like the real Juliana would have, the implication being that Data will also grow old at a human rate. But that's obviously not the case. So it's more of a bad choice of dialogue more than anything else.

12. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

Why is it obviously not the case, given that the only person who did portray Data did age at a human rate?

13. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You may be right, but it would be nice.

Come to think of it, was the Arcos a Starfleet vessel or just a Federation vessel? The Encyclopedia may have made some speculation on that.

In retrospect, it might've been interesting to see some more non-Starfleet Federation ships now and then (like the Vico). It seems like almost every freighter or transport (like the Jenolen) was Starfleet.

It might have been interesting to see a few ships that belong to government agencies besides Starfleet, or civilian vessels. It might've illustrated the breadth of the Federation, and more importantly, served as a reminder that Starfleet doesn't do everything!

Well, for that, you'd probably have to go with a Negh'Var, which certainly wasn't built yet.

Seriously, though, I don't think they'd need to necessarily cover the size those super-BoP's did. Just something a bit bigger that could believably threaten a Warbird.

My only concern is that it might diminish the Vor'Cha's introduction in "Reunion".

And again, anything for season 3 (and probably season 4) is clearly too late at this point.

Maybe you should try rewatching that episode. That REALLY sticks out!

Meh, I'm pretty good on those.

14. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Because in "All Good Things..." Data looks exactly the same as he did in the show, except for the fake shot of gray in his hair which he did himself. And before people say that AGT never happened or was a reset button, that doesn't matter. It was supposed to be a realistic portrayal of the characters getting older.

And that's why Spiner wanted Data to die in Nemesis, because while Spiner himself was aging, he didn't think that it would be plausible for Data to age as well, being an android.

The dialogue in "Legacy" itself did not make that distinction; the Arcos was simply referred to as a Federation freighter. But the Encyclopedia gives the class designation as Deneva, which was also the class of the U.S.S. LaSalle, which was referred to in dialogue as a starship. So retroactively the Arcos became a Starfleet vessel. Of course, one can debate that the 'pedia isn't canon so none of that really means anything.

My personal preference would have been for them to use the Promellian ship painted green, like they did in DS9. That ship was huge.

Yes, I'd agree with that.

Oh, I've seen it. VFX goofs like that simply do not bother me all that much.

15. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Definately a bad choice of dialogue seeing as in future of "All Good Things" everyone has aged but data still looks the same.

16. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

Looking back on series 1 of TNG HD, I would be fine with them replacing any shot with the 2 foot model with a better quality HD CGI shot....

That ship was not built with a HD future in mind.

17. Xavier_Storma

Xavier_Storma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I would want them to recreate all 4 foot model scenes with the CGI model they use (and folks... add a 35 mm movie grain filter to them, so they look like the rest of the show, there is one for FREE on the net in true HD).

As an option of course (Seamless branching, like on the TOS BDs with the original effects). That way they would finally get rid of that fat ugly 4 footer and also eliminate a huge continuity issue (since those 2 ships look nothing alike).

18. Kirks_Flying_Wig

Kirks_Flying_Wig Commander Red Shirt

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I've never understood how someone approved the set extension used in Lessons. It's clearly designed to be used further away, and there it is...inches from the main focus. :)

20. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Those aren't mattes...they're translights...and they're not meant to be shot at anything but a very narrow angle.